Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-24-2019, 01:41 PM   #11
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: Powered Knights/Monks [Fantasy/Powers/Supers]

If technology cannot create the item though, gadgets are valid. In the Star Wars example, each light sabre was created by hand, as an individual exercise of passion, or inherited/stolen from a Jedi/Sith, so it is very much a gadget rather than gear. In effect, regardless of the technobabble, the light sabre were expressions of abilities rather than products of technology.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 01:55 PM   #12
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
If technology cannot create the item though, gadgets are valid. In the Star Wars example, each light sabre was created by hand, as an individual exercise of passion, or inherited/stolen from a Jedi/Sith, so it is very much a gadget rather than gear. In effect, regardless of the technobabble, the light sabre were expressions of abilities rather than products of technology.
The main issue in this case is the price. 80 points is an absolutely ridiculous amount for something that's a carbon copy of what you can get for 10 points of SG at TL3, cheaper at higher TLs.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 06:44 PM   #13
AlexanderHowl

Only if you allow that type of technology. Light sabres lose their mystique is every punk carries one when going out for the night. If it is supposed to have any mystique, it should cost points rather than money.

Anyway, I think that a gadget like that should probably serve two purposes. For example, if the Force functions like RPM, the light sabre should function as a focus and, as an alternative ability, a weapon. A non-Jedi only benefits from the weapon, but the Jedi benefits from the focus and weapon.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 08:11 PM   #14
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbicatus View Post
One thing I really hate is using gadgets to replicate equipment that is available. There is no reason to create a gadget power for a force sword when they exist in the setting and can be bought with cash. If the technology to create force swords is a closely guarded secret then that is just a unusual background or high TL advantage.

Equipment is not a power, despite the old technology and magic quote.
WORD. This is exactly why I created "Metatronic Generators" from Pyramid #3/46: Weird Science to bridge this gap. You create the gadget you want with powers and then use the rules system to give it a cash cost as gear.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
supers