Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-19-2015, 03:42 PM   #1
Sindri

Default Parahuman Natural Weapons

Let's put together a list of what natural weapons can be added to a parahuman with a basically human exterior.

Bio-Tech gives us Claws* and Teeth (Either of which can be augmented with venom or logically another kind of substance.), venomous spit, bioelectric organs and ecstasy glands (The actual purpose of which confuses me. The chance of a heart attack makes it dangerous for entertainment and surely there's a better option for defense?) as examples and also leaves open room for other varieties of Affliction and Toxic Attack.

Damaging laser eyes such as in Sundiver seem unlikely even with the demonstration of single cell biological lasers. However the next best trick of Space Ripper Stingy Eyes style eye autohaemorrhaging is possible, at least to the level of the inspiring horned lizards.

Retracting weapons could presumably be placed in various locations such as a blade protracting from the wrist.

*What would the end result of designers trying to come up with something that's more damaging than nails without sacrificing day to day utility look like?
Sindri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:28 PM   #2
McAllister

Default Re: Parahuman Natural Weapons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindri View Post
*What would the end result of designers trying to come up with something that's more damaging than nails without sacrificing day to day utility look like?
Something retractable, like cat claws, or perhaps a "dewclaw" style claw further up the forearm.

Horns. A tail could bludgeon. A spiked tail could impale: think scorpion. A strong, prehensile tail could constrict.

Honestly, I think your best bet is a really nasty poison and a really consistent delivery mechanism. What if skunks sprayed nerve agents? Or an envenomed unicorn horn? That's the sort of thing I'm thinking.
McAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:48 PM   #3
Flyndaran
Untagged

Cat claws hyperextend away from the front rendering fine touch impossible. Realistically. Of course one could do something different and just call it cats' claws.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:54 PM   #4
Sindri

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister View Post
Something retractable, like cat claws, or perhaps a "dewclaw" style claw further up the forearm.
Would you go for something like actual cat claws or something that really retracts into the fingers? Also unless you try to use an unusual design retraction only changes length it doesn't change the actual shape of the claw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister View Post
Horns. A tail could bludgeon. A spiked tail could impale: think scorpion. A strong, prehensile tail could constrict.

Honestly, I think your best bet is a really nasty poison and a really consistent delivery mechanism. What if skunks sprayed nerve agents? Or an envenomed unicorn horn? That's the sort of thing I'm thinking.
Well keep in mind I'm looking for stuff for a basically human exterior. So no tails or horns, just weapons that are invisible until used or modifications of things like nails and teeth that already exists.

I agree that approaching it from a viewpoint of delivering venom rather than dealing normal damage is a good idea though.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:02 AM   #5
Anthony

What is your objective here? Realistic natural weapons aren't going to be particularly valuable against armed opponents, though being better in unarmed combat is doable enough. Unless your goal is mass carnage; engineering a parahuman to be a disease carrier is certainly viable but not terribly controlled.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:18 AM   #6
Sindri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
What is your objective here? Realistic natural weapons aren't going to be particularly valuable against armed opponents, though being better in unarmed combat is doable enough. Unless your goal is mass carnage; engineering a parahuman to be a disease carrier is certainly viable but not terribly controlled.
Mostly "why not" though I'm interested in controlled weapons not mass carnage. I'm fine with stuff focused on improving unarmed combat and perhaps the occasional surprise factor in armed combat.