Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-23-2019, 02:50 PM   #21
naloth

Default Re: Using Controllable Disadvantage [Perks]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toptomcat View Post
I would dispute that this one is possible, since a Controllable Disadvantage is controllable by *you*, and once you become an extreme fanatic you don't want to stop being one, because you're an extreme fanatic.
You could really say that of most traits. Paranoid people often don't believe they are paraniod. Shy people wouldn't be shy if they could just be more outgoing. People with phobias often rationalize them as protective mechanisms.

Most negative traits are such that you'd have to overcome the effect to shut off even temporarily.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 04:42 PM   #22
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: Using Controllable Disadvantage [Perks]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
I would say controlled disadvantage (uncontrollable x) is automatically invalid.
So you're specifically against Uncontrollable Appetite being taken with Controllable Disadvantage? Weird flex, but okay...

;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTTG View Post
I generally feel that it might be more in the spirit of things to get the useful traits of disadvantages with their negative traits as Nuisance Effects. Though I suppose that the ability to bloomp out like a life raft is more simply written as "Controllable Disadvantage: Fat."
Yes, that's exactly what it is. It's gaining the secondary/tertiary benes of the Disad for the tiny negative of the Disad along with it, when you chose.

I've most often seen this specifically with Callous, then Delusions (Implanted Cover Story), then Magic Susceptibility, then other Disads that give a bene to social reactions*, like Honesty, Overconfidence, Sense of Duty, Workaholic, etc.

My two personal favs to take with Controllable Disadvantage are Callous and Xenophilia.

Two of the odder/cooler instances I've seen were Weirdness Magnet taken by an occult investigator, the idea being it made the 'occult baddies' easier to find as they'd seek him out (when he wanted them to) and Social Stigma [Monster] along with Supernatural Features on a 'pact sorceror/warlock' who could invoke his demonic side to become instantly scary.

* For these types of traits we've always ruled that the PC must have displayed those traits in order to get the bene... so while these have been taken, they are far, far less common.

Last edited by evileeyore; 10-23-2019 at 04:48 PM.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote