Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-09-2019, 11:17 PM   #1
Pyrefox

Default Split Personality character points

Just wanted a clarification of how to deal with the disadvantage "Split Personality" and the different character sheets it suggests that we create.

Do I need to make two (or more) character sheets with approximately 100 points EACH, or do I need to make the sum of their points be around 100 points?
Pyrefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 04:32 AM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Split Personality character points

All the character sheets have the same point total. The player only has one character, the three character sheets are just for convenience in play.

For the example on p. 156 of Basic Set: Characters, assume Bob Smith is a 150-point character. His three character sheets each add up to 150 points. The differences between the character sheets are in the disadvantages:
  1. The "Col. Smith" sheet has the delusion about being a military officer and the other disadvantages from that package.
  2. The "Bobby" sheet has Compulsive Carousing, and the other things from that package,
  3. The "Smitty" sheet has Trickster, and the rest of that package.
Everything else about Bob Smith is identical on the three sheets. When the GM awards bonus character points, they normally get spent the same way on all three character sheets.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:23 AM   #3
AlexanderHowl

The GM may also allow variations in IQ, Per, Will, and mental advantages when appropriate. For example, Colonel Smith may have -1 IQ and Charisma+4, Bobby might have -2 Per, -2 Will, and Allure 4, and Smitty might have Daredevil and Phobia (Sun; 12-).
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:39 AM   #4
evileeyore
Banned

Note things I've allowed with this Disad that didn't break anything:

Letting one personality have less disads than another (but also correspondingly less Advantages). Allowing a low variance in Skills between Personalities (I've capped it at 1/5th points in differences).

Basically as long as the differences between the Personalities equals 0 points and don't include gross physical changes, I've been pretty lax. Of course the disad has only come up twice, so it's not like I'm rolling with lots of experience.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 02:08 PM   #5
AlexanderHowl

It can be a fun disadvantage, especially for NPCs. It is good though to balance it with Charisma, as Charisma 3 will counter the reaction penalty. Why would you want to do that? Well, it means a better reaction, your still get the skill bonuses from Charisma, and the Charisma always applies while the largest penalty from Split Personality only applies when people know what you are. A character with Split Personality (12) and Charisma 3 can be quite effective as a face, especially if one of their personalities has other mental advantages that support the roll.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 06:55 PM   #6
Gef

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Note things I've allowed with this Disad that didn't break anything:
I've removed the limitation of only allowing mental traits to vary, but only in a supers campaign, and I've allowed point value to shift a lot. The benefit of having a high-point character is more than off-set by a vulnerable alter-ego.
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:38 PM   #7
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gef View Post
I've removed the limitation of only allowing mental traits to vary, but only in a supers campaign, and I've allowed point value to shift a lot. The benefit of having a high-point character is more than off-set by a vulnerable alter-ego.
I've been leery of going the full route that way because of Alternate Form and I've not really felt motivated to sit down and make sure it would be "balanced" to just toss Alternate Form under the bus of Split Personality doing it all.

But thinking about it now, it's essentially Split Personality and a Limited variant of Morph for ±0%.... so it shouldn't break anything 'balance' wise.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote