Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 02-25-2019, 11:16 AM   #61
TippetsTX

Default Re: Bestiary of Cidri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
Honestly, even easier (and less legally contentious) would be stat'ing many of the classic mythological beasts that aren't in TFT - gryphon, minotaur, harpy, cyclops, kappa, tengu, kirin, hippocampus, gorgon, etc. That's the lowest hanging fruit.
Those are the most obvious additions, yes, but given the unique nature of Cidri, I would expect to see a good number of original flora and fauna as well whose origins would be from transplantation or Mnoren engineering.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:03 PM   #62
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
Those are the most obvious additions, yes, but given the unique nature of Cidri, I would expect to see a good number of original flora and fauna as well whose origins would be from transplantation or Mnoren engineering.
Yes, that's preferable. I just mention these as the quickest way to get a pool of creatures to add on top of the ones in ITL. Creatures unique to TFT, some of which we already get in the latest version, are best.
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 12:13 PM   #63
ColBosch

Those are both things I'd like. Generic mythological critters, so that I can get miniatures for them, and new critters.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 02:06 PM   #64
Skarg

Classic mythological beasts are good. (Note Gryphons are already in ITL.)
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 02:15 PM   #65
hcobb

Are we going to support the GM's right to arm bears? (And other classic animals with weapons tropes that have tons of minis about?)

Is that a spell? (Would Control Animal suffice or do you need Uplift Critter?)
Old 02-25-2019, 03:00 PM   #66
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Classic mythological beasts are good. (Note Gryphons are already in ITL.)
Ach, they are. My bad. I recalled that pegasus was in there, but not gryphon.

And if one goes beyond Greek mythology, there are a huge number of further beasts and beings to include. One could easily fill a book with just the entries from Japanese or Celtic mythology, for example.
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:43 PM   #67
Shostak

Its easy enough to stat up mundane animals or to convert creatures from other systems. I'd really like to see at least some new things imagined for Cidri.

There will be a fine balance between providing just enough depth to be useful and providing so much that the info fetters GM creativity and fun ath the table.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 01:29 PM   #68
JLV

I have to agree -- if all it is is a rehash of the stuff already in ITL, well, I'll probably still buy it (IF there are counters included), because more information is nice, but I sure won't be all-in like I was over TFT itself, or the Adventures Kickstarter, or the Hexagram Kickstarter...

I want to see an expanded book of monsters/creatures, with lots of new things to add into the game. Not just the same old things all over again (really, for the third time, since I have original TFT from the '80's too).

I have to say that Greg convinced me that adding in intelligent creatures makes more sense than not, so given his explanation, I now want to change my vote to go with what he apparently plans to do with the book in that regard.

On the disease thing, I'd personally say that it's almost a non-sequitar, given that TFT doesn't really address diseases in any detail, so unless you ALSO plan to include rules for using diseases effectively in the game (and treating them, and healing them, and containing them -- thus turning "The Fantasy Trip" into "The Pharmacological Trip"), they probably need to be very BRIEF entries so as to not "waste" space better spent on habitat or other items of real importance to TFT. But perhaps others strongly disagree with me on that...

Finally, I would like to strongly suggest that you add in some form of "reaction" designation for the creatures too -- telling us if they generally are violently territorial, or willing to run away, or hide, or attack immediately without regard for the odds, or whatever. Something that guides us in how they are likely to "think" about intruders approaching their nest/home area, or violating their territory, or threatening their cubs, and so on. You may consider that already covered in the "habitat" and "how they feel about humans" section, and if so, I apologize for the redundant suggestion; but if not, please do consider it as an important item for possible inclusion.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 04:47 PM   #69
TippetsTX

I know this is a controversial suggestion (which has been debated elsewhere), but I would also like to see some kind of 'challenge rating' system or guidelines implemented here. You can keep it simple... perhaps only a 3-tier scale for easy, moderate or hard (or novice/veteran/legendary), but I think this would be a valuable feature for new GMs and players.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:59 PM   #70
hcobb

I will happily do the calculations for any new critters they want to publish.

http://www.hcobb.com/tft/firepower.html