Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-30-2015, 08:45 AM   #1051
malloyd

Default Re: List Of your favorite Custom Perks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Legend View Post
Unconscious One Liner Your character need not be conscious to participate in the verbal goings-on near his body. You may only respond with one sentence, once per half hour, or whenever anyone forgets you're in the room - so make it a good one.
Seems like a perfectly reasonable cinematic perk. I might extend it to characters who are dead too ("It's like I can still hear him berating us for standing around here when...")
Old 05-30-2015, 11:02 AM   #1052
Blood Legend

Benevolent Phantom Voice or Harvey - You believe you are in constant communication with another player's character or a fond NPC. However that character possesses no meta-knowledge. They can only comment and quip on anything you personally experience or could remember. The subject voice need not actually be alive, or real, but you cannot roleplay it, another player has to do it. This might be a delusion, or a divine curse, but it exists in a vacuum, the subject character cannot use this voice to his advantage. Unless you have Special Rapport, then some problems might develop.

Telegraphic Player - You can berate your fellow gamers at a distance! It's all in their heads of course, and their characters must know yours well enough to gauge his or her opinion on the matters at hand, but you're not really there and cannot enforce your dictates. You're essentially spending a point to guarantee that your comrades will keep your best interest in mind, if not at heart.

I'm guilty of my own Unconscious One Liner Perk, and my brother and one of our mutual friends are guilty of Harveying each other.

"This is the sort of relatively small error that destroys planetary probes." ~Bruno

Last edited by Blood Legend; 05-30-2015 at 11:19 AM.
Blood Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 01:03 PM   #1053
Flyndaran
Untagged

Drop Dead Fred: Harvey coupled with innocuous Pet might be a strange combination. You sometimes get told things by an imaginary? friend/pet you couldn't possibly know but maybe technically could guess.

(Drop Dead Fred was a movie where a troubled woman opens a box containing her childhood imaginary friend, and chaos ensues.)
Old 05-30-2015, 02:21 PM   #1054
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Legend View Post
Benevolent Phantom Voice or Harvey - You believe you are in constant communication with another player's character or a fond NPC. ...
I'm having trouble seeing why this is a perk, rather than quirk-level Phantom Voices.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 09:08 PM   #1055
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
I'm having trouble seeing why this is a perk, rather than quirk-level Phantom Voices.
Agreed. The original "Harvey" could comment on things that the human involved couldn't have possibly known, but only seemed to use that extraordinary ability in order to gather gossip.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 09:19 PM   #1056
Rasputin

Pack Rat: For any long action involving your pack, when you need to roll a die to see how long it takes to do said task, lower the result by one per die, minimum of one for each die. For example, finding a loose item in your pack normally takes 2d seconds, but you can find it in 2d-2 seconds, minimum 2 seconds.

This is from a quirk of a character in my game who has to spend extra time whenever she fiddles with her pack, lowering travel time and bringing more wandering monsters in the dungeon.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:34 AM   #1057
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
Agreed. The original "Harvey" could comment on things that the human involved couldn't have possibly known, but only seemed to use that extraordinary ability in order to gather gossip.
If you want to allow that in a useful form, turn it into a Power. Helpful phantom voices could pretty reasonably provide Common Sense, Danger Sense, Intuition, Oracle, and sort of translation (limited forms of Medium, Speak with * or Omnilingual).
Old 05-31-2015, 11:28 AM   #1058
Blood Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
One time, Syhkane (kiwaku here) was shoved in a gulag, and the GM gave him a bonus to keep his $h-iced-tea together because he had a friend to talk to that didn't tell him to stab his neighbors or claw his skin off.

It also lets friends roleplay in situations they normally would not be allowed to participate in. Like say you're doing repair work on a tank, and your friend is in a gulag pretending he's crazy and that scene just seems more entertaining to you. All 3 of these perks let you be in scenes you wouldn't normally have access to, which means more play time.

@Rocket; this is why you guys are my people. Achievement: Reference Get [10].

Harvey is basically the opposite of Telegraphic Player.

"This is the sort of relatively small error that destroys planetary probes." ~Bruno

Last edited by Blood Legend; 05-31-2015 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:37 AM   #1059
Flyndaran
Untagged

Then wouldn't that be more of a perk for the player acting as the voice rather than the one "suffering"?
Old 05-31-2015, 11:39 AM   #1060
Blood Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Then wouldn't that be more of a perk for the player acting as the voice rather than the one "suffering"?
I imagine its the same as buying the Teamwork Perk, which I would go so far as to say it helps other players more than it helps you. You can't force other people to have a perk/quirk, so it can only go on yourself. You're inviting people to be in your brain, and on the flip side, you're buying the ability to bother other people. If you're in the kind of game that allows this kind of borderline silliness, the 1 point cost probably isn't going to worry you too much.

Last edited by Blood Legend; 05-31-2015 at 12:29 PM.

Tags
house rules, perks