Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-12-2019, 05:06 PM   #1
Smudd

Default Ratmen racial template

Does anyone have any templates for this type of rat race?
Pardon the pun.
Smudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 05:14 PM   #2
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: Ratmen racial template

If you've got the DFRPG adventure Against The Rat Men, I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to convert the basic rat men to a template.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 05:21 PM   #3
Gnome

Here’s one from an old campaign. Many idiosyncrasies here, not a generic rat man by any stretch:

Rat-kin 40 points
Rat-kin live in the swamplands, in and around the city of Rodenia, a lively center for trade and innovation.
Per +2 [10]; Discriminatory Smell [15]; Magic Resistance 3 [6]; Night Vision 5 [5]; Perfect Balance [15]; Reduced Consumption 4 (cast-iron stomach) [4]; Sharp Claws [5]; Sharp Teeth [1]; Temperature Tolerance 2 [2]; Curious (12) [-5]; Gluttony (12) [-5]; Selfish (12) [-5]; Ugly [-8]; Born Biter 2 (MA115) [0]

A PC did play a Rat-man in the campaign, a roguish type of course
Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 05:23 PM   #4
Smudd

Thanks!
Guess with a title like that I should have checked it out.
Old 12-12-2019, 05:29 PM   #5
Smudd

Thanks Gnome, I did find this:
http://gurpswiki.wikidot.com/rt:skav...hammer-fantasy

Skaven - rat-like humanoids.

<-7> points.

Attribute Modifiers: IQ -1 [-20]; HT +2 [20].
Secondary Characteristic Modifiers: Will +1 [5]; Basic Speed +1 [5]; Basic Move +1 [5]; Hit Points +1 [2]; Fatigue Points -2 [-6];
Advantages: Acute Hearing 1 [2]; Acute Taste & Smell 1 [2]; Claws, Sharp (Feet) [5]; Claws, Sharps (Hands) [5]; Discriminatory Smell [15]; Fit [5]; Night Vision 9 [9]; Rapid Healing [5]; Reduced Consumptio 2(Cast-Iron Stomach, -50%) [2]; Regrowth (Only teeths, -80%) [8]; Resistant(Disease, +10; +8 to all HT rolls to resist, x0,5) [5]; Resistant(Swallow poison an exception rat poison, +5; +3 to all HT rolls to resist, x0,33) [2]; Teeth, Sharp [1]; Striking ST 3 (One Attack Only(Bite), -60%) [6]; Striker, Crushing (Tail) (Weak -50%, clumsy 2 -40%) [1]; Vibration Sense (Earth, limited range, -30%) [7];
Perks: Reduced Size 1 [0]; Fur [1]; Infected Bite [1]
Disadvantages: Appearance (Ugly, -8) [-8]; Bad Temper (CR: 12) [-10]; Bully (CR:12) [-10]; Callous [-5]; Fearfulness 2 (Opened area and bright ligh) [-3]; Increased Consumption 2 [-20]; Intolerance (Anyone unlike you, -10) [-10]; Short Lifespan 1 [-10]; Black Hunger (…) [-19];
Quirks: Proud [-1]; Clan Mark(…) [-1]; Like Blades [-1]; Plotter [-1]; Fearfulness (…) [-1];
Racial Skill Bonuses: -
Racial Spells: -
Features: -

But having never played WH I'm not sure if some of the stats are for that game world.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:15 AM   #6
sjard
Stick in the Mud

May not be quite what you're looking for, but GURPS Bio-Tech (page 74), includes a racial template for something called a Tek-Rat.
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 10:00 AM   #7
Varyon

Gnome's template looks like a pretty solid basis for a human-sized ratman (ratmen are often smaller than humans, like the Tek Rat, so it depends on exactly what you're looking for). Leaving off Magic Resistance will make it more generic; I'd personally leave off Selfish as well (see this article), and probably Ugly. From my experience with pet rats, I'd be tempted to give them Chummy or at least Congenial - rats are typically far happier in groups. Gluttony would also be optional - rats seem to be more inclined to store food than gorge themselves, and will even share their food. However, if you do have a rat that's an incorrigible glutton, his/her cagemates are likely to adopt similar behavior, as otherwise they risk not getting enough to eat (as their stashes are invariably devoured by the glutton).
Old 12-13-2019, 11:28 AM   #8
Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Gnome's template looks like a pretty solid basis for a human-sized ratman (ratmen are often smaller than humans, like the Tek Rat, so it depends on exactly what you're looking for). Leaving off Magic Resistance will make it more generic; I'd personally leave off Selfish as well (see this article), and probably Ugly. From my experience with pet rats, I'd be tempted to give them Chummy or at least Congenial - rats are typically far happier in groups. Gluttony would also be optional - rats seem to be more inclined to store food than gorge themselves, and will even share their food. However, if you do have a rat that's an incorrigible glutton, his/her cagemates are likely to adopt similar behavior, as otherwise they risk not getting enough to eat (as their stashes are invariably devoured by the glutton).
That sounds like solid advice. When I wrote that template (probably about eight years ago), I did no research on real rats or their behavior. I was more inspired by rat stereotypes in our culture (calling someone a "rat" is not a compliment, even though real rats may have many endearing qualities). And of course I was also trying to make a playable PC race whose point cost comes out to a multiple of five...
Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 03:28 PM   #9
AlexanderHowl

Lecherousness and Xenophilia, especially for male rats, would be appropriate, as they will do it with anything.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 06:34 PM   #10
Sorenant

Read it as "Ramen racial template" and thought it was 2019/20 version of that old sweet (I think raspberry pie or something like that) character.
Sorenant is offline   Reply With Quote