Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-16-2016, 04:27 PM   #11
(E)

Default Re: DF Monsters: A Wizard did It!

Millitaur
Covered in charcoal gray smoothly interlocking chitin the Millitaur has a large humanoid body from the waist up and from the waist down is a giant millipede. Able to run up walls and across ceilings the Millitaur is a disconcerting foe. They can also constrict their opponents.

Widely spaced insectoid eyes glitter on a neckless head. The Millitaur is a tank like foe.

Last edited by (E); 09-30-2016 at 06:35 AM.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 05:17 PM   #12
(E)

Centuripion
This odd creation resembles a human sized centauroid scorpion that carries a very large shield on each of its claws. It typically attacks by shield slamming it's opponent then fighting defensively behind it's two shields. It attacks with it's tail and kicks with it's front feet. If it looses a shield it will typically try to grapple/grab with it's now free heavy claw.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:26 PM   #13
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
First I've heard of either of them. I'm a fairly young gamer. Looked at storm-bringer though and the intital glance wasn't promising as far as monsters are concerned.
Stormbringer is a Chaosium RPG, using mechanics akin to Call of Cthulhu or Runequest, based on the Elric of Melniboné books by Michael Moorcock. They're dark fantasy based on an anti-hero, Elric, who wields a sword, Stormbringer, that has a mind of its own.

Arduin is a late-1970s add-on to D&D that became its own RPG. It was written by Dave Hargreaves, who was in the same circle as the folks who formed Chaosium, which is likely how air sharks got ported into Stormbringer. I've only read the last of the Elric books, but saw nothing akin to air sharks in there. Anyways, Arduin is D&D up to 11. It's vaguely Rifts-like in that regard. Going through my PDF of the trilogy (sadly off RPGNow for the moment), I'll pull out some appropriate monsters:

Doomguard: a magically animated armor that … well, here's the description:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduin Grimoire
A Doomguard is a magikally animated armor. It can teleport at will. While 100% fire, lightning, fear, paralysis, confusion, and charm proof, cold does half damage, and slows them. They must literally be dismembered to stop.
Maggoths: big, smelly slugs with "quivering black-tipped eyestalks."
Red Fang: "a red, velvet furred tarantula with 6 star sapphire like eyes and yellow fangs."
Thunder Bunnies: a massive swarm of "[c]razed, foam mouthed jack rabbits … They are very much like land piranhas."
Tryvern: a three-headed, three-tailed wyvern.
Vroat: a cross between a giant toad and a crocodile, they jump and bite with their big jaws.
Chaeronyx: centaur/medusa hybrid. That's a common theme in Arduin: there's no monster that can't be made better by crossing it with another monster.
Gryfylisk: basilisk/gryphon hybrid.
Kill Kittens: they're cute, and play it up, until they bite their poisonous bite. And there's 12d4 of them in a pack in the open, with the rest in hiding until they get a mark.
Mansters: free-willed flesh golems that need to drink four quarts of human blood a day.
Shock Bones: skeletons wired together and animated with electricity.
Tarakk: dragon/horned toad hybrids.

I'll stop before I get to the monsters of the third book, as this is plenty.

My GURPS blog.

Last edited by Rasputin; 09-17-2016 at 09:03 PM.
Rasputin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 06:09 PM   #14
Humabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
Thunder Bunnies: a massive swarm of "[c]razed, foam mouthed jack rabbits … They are very much like land piranhas."
And here my mind jumped straight to this.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:11 PM   #15
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Odder An otter with swirly eyes. Meeting its gaze can lead to confusion and seizures.
Old 09-17-2016, 03:40 PM   #16
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
Centuripion
This odd creation resembles a human sized centauroid scorpion that carries a very large shield on each of its claws. It typically attacks by shield slamming it's opponent then fighting defensively behind it's two shields. It attacks with it's tail and kicks with it's front feet. If it looses a shield it will typically try to grapple/grab with it's now free heavy claw.
Ooh, that reminds me of my scorpion-men that were the descendants/emissaries of one of the three main gods. He also begat one or two freaking HUGE pure scorpions out there somewhere in deserts few travel.
Old 09-17-2016, 03:45 PM   #17
Flyndaran
Untagged

This thread reminds me of the wizard character I really wanted to try for an "evil" campaign my group wanted.
He was human but desperately wanted to enhance himself by magically grafting other creatures' abilities onto himself. Starting with elf lifespan, of course. This meant all sorts of experimentation.
Mistakes happen, and if a failed project got out now and again...
Old 09-17-2016, 03:49 PM   #18
Flyndaran
Untagged

Kitten-toad
Near caves, sewers, and even unusual potholes, one can hear the soft mewling sounds of a kitten. In the dark, one can just make out its shape.
But it's actually a growth on the tongue of a giant man-eating toad whose camouflage blends its large body into near invisibility.
Old 09-17-2016, 04:59 PM   #19
(E)

Danglers (better name needed)
these creatures are the twisted remains of previous adventurers. They resemble humanoids who hang from the ceiling by a tentacle like appendage that has replaced their lower body. This appendage is anchored to a fibrous mat that resembles a camouflaged cacoon. Disconcertingly the creatures heads are on upside down, which is the right way up when the are hanging.

As individual as the adventurers they where created from they all have their own unique approach. Some steal things, others grapple and try to eat any who come close. Fully able and intelligent enough to use weapons, equipment and any armour that fits some may attack with a garrot, others may snipe from amongst the stalagtites and some will even duel using their odd manuverability to their advantage.

Notes
- race is still a factor. Halflings are still small and fast, Ogres are still strong and huge.
Old 09-17-2016, 05:04 PM   #20
Flyndaran
Untagged

Trying to come up with a better name for the previous monster made me word associate to this:

Silk Wyrm
Limbless draconic monster whose tunnels are sticky with primitive silk. But woe be to any prepared to deal with mere giant spiders.
Not horribly over powered compared to other dragons, but the best screwdrivers aren't very effective when faced with a basic nail.

Tags
dungeon fantasy, monsters