Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 03-15-2012, 01:02 PM   #1
Wolfie

Default Half-breeds and race only items?

Hi all, I'm new to Munchkin but already addicted,

Am I right in my belief that a Half-Breed can use race only items from both of their races? E.g. a Half-Breed Elf-Halfling can use the Bow with Ribbons and would gain the +3 bonus from Horny Helmet for being an elf even if they are only half elf.

I was in no doubt to this myself until a friend, also a noob, said that as I got all of the disadvantages of both races too I couldn't use such 1 race only cards because a disadvantage of my halfling half was that I couldn't use these cards.

He was claiming that "Usable by elves only" meant that you had to be, only an elf and not therefore a half elf.

This seems like an over complicated logic to me and from what I've seen saps most of the intended power of the Halfbreed card.
Wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:07 PM   #2
Brf

Default Re: Half-breeds and race only items?

You are correct they can use items "only usable by" either race.

A disadvantage would be if an item said "not usable by Elves" or "not usable by Halflings". You would not be able to use the item in either case.
Brf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:56 PM   #3
Clipper

Other disadvantages are the bonuses some monsters get, like Drooling Slime's +4 against Elves. You can ignore those as a Half-Elf (but not as a Half-Elf-Dwarf).
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:31 PM   #4
La1cajun

I don't get it. If a monster has +4 against elves why wouldn't it get it's +4 against a half elf if the rest of bonuses applied to a half breed elf?
La1cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:51 PM   #5
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by La1cajun View Post
I don't get it. If a monster has +4 against elves why wouldn't it get it's +4 against a half elf if the rest of bonuses applied to a half breed elf?
Because a Half-Breed with only one race has all of the advantages and none of the disadvantages of the race. A Half-Breed Elf, with no other race, looks too human for the monster to get its bonus against Elves.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:37 PM   #6
Pleh

Clipper is referring to a different use of the card than what the OP was suggesting.

If you use Half-Breed on a race and only attach a single race to the card, then you get all of the advantages and none of the disadvantages of that race. If you attach two races to the Half-Breed, then you get all the advantages and disadvantages of both.

"Half elf" was interpreted to be a Half-breed and Elf without another race and in his post, "Half elf dwarf" was meant to refer to a Half Breed and Elf used with Dwarf. It's a matter of notation and perhaps a little pedantic, but that's where your confusion is coming from.

In your original post, you gave the example of a Half-elf, Half-halfling. Since they get the disadvantages of both elves and halflings, such a character would give Drooling Slime a +4 to combat, just as you were thinking.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:40 AM   #7
La1cajun

Ahh...I get it...thanks..if all else fails..read the card..lol
La1cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:15 AM   #8
kana63

Can Human be just Halfbreed (with no disadvantages for that Race)? Does he losing Halfbreed card if he losing his (only) Class?
By the way, does "no disadvantages" mean that I can use Item (Not usable by Thief) forbiden for my Class if I am Supermunchkin Thief(only).
Grateful for all your answers so far
kana63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:49 AM   #9
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kana63 View Post
Can Human be just Halfbreed (with no disadvantages for that Race)?
No. Half-Breed says it must be put in play with at least one Race card and you lose it if you have no Race cards, so you cannot be just Half-Human.

Quote:
By the way, does "no disadvantages" mean that I can use Item (Not usable by Thief) forbiden for my Class if I am Supermunchkin Thief(only).
Grateful for all your answers so far
Yes. It also means monsters that get bonuses against Thieves don't get a bonus against the Super Thief, along with a few other things. Basically, anything that is bad specifically for Thieves can be ignored by a Super Thief with no other Class.

Tags
half-breed, item cards