Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 08-27-2019, 12:17 AM   #221
JimmyPlenty

Default Re: TFT Map Maker

[QUOTE=Shadekeep;2281321]Glad you like it, and thanks for the suggestions. Can you explain a bit further what this particular item might look like?

Well, you know how when megahexes are shown they have the black border around them? I would like an option to place a border on any hex I want, on any side of the hex I want.

Also, I noticed you do not have an option for the dot in the middle of the hex.

Basically, I just want a way to draw (or drag and drop) megahex patterns.
JimmyPlenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 07:38 AM   #222
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyPlenty View Post
Basically, I just want a way to draw (or drag and drop) megahex patterns.
Gotcha. There have been a few requests for functionality like that. It's a bit tricky as in my coding module each hex renders itself, but I am investigating into some jiggery-pokery to get around that. ^_^
Old 10-08-2019, 04:57 PM   #223
MiB1213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
First off, sorry if this belongs in House Rules, and please move it there if so.

Coming off the various discussions about making dungeon maps for TFT, over the past week I've bashed together a proof-of-concept for just such a tool. It's a web-based application that should work in most browsers (though I've not tested it in mobile browsers, and they would be a pain to do this kind of design work in anyway). You can check it out here:

https://shadekeep.com/shamat.html

Most of the functions should work, though there are still quirks. And it doesn't yet support loading saved map files, so don't do any mission-critical work in this.

Basically I want to see if there is any utility value in a tool like this, before I sink any more effort into it. Please share your feedback!

PS - Be sure to check the Help tab for more information on the various features.
Is there a way to make two annotations in one hex i.e L1, H3 etc?
Old 10-09-2019, 12:34 PM   #224
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiB1213 View Post
Is there a way to make two annotations in one hex i.e L1, H3 etc?
That's one of the items on my "planned features" list that I hope to get in. I also want to add the lovely SVG support code that was contributed.

Apology that there haven't been more updates on this recently, I've been spending a lot of time lately on writing. I do intend to pick this back up and give it further improvement.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:39 PM   #225
MiB1213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
That's one of the items on my "planned features" list that I hope to get in. I also want to add the lovely SVG support code that was contributed.

Apology that there haven't been more updates on this recently, I've been spending a lot of time lately on writing. I do intend to pick this back up and give it further improvement.
No worries.. You have done an AMAZING job so far. I love this tool you built. Makes life so easy. Been just doodling a rough draft on paper then taking it to your app to produce a fine piece of art.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:21 PM   #226
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiB1213 View Post
No worries.. You have done an AMAZING job so far. I love this tool you built. Makes life so easy. Been just doodling a rough draft on paper then taking it to your app to produce a fine piece of art.
Thanks! Always good to hear that folks are finding it useful. ^_^
Old 10-22-2019, 02:04 PM   #227
Shadekeep

Razza-frazza. I've integrated the SVG drawing code and it works beautifully. The only downside is a deeply geeky technical issue. Basically, drawing from the SVG files "taints" the map canvas and breaks the CORS security. So you can't export the map as an image after you draw an SVG graphic on it. That makes the new functionality much less useful.

Here's a related article on the security setting if you want to bore yourself. The convoluted "solution" suggested there still doesn't help with Shamat, since that uses local files, which are ALWAYS "tainted" in the CORS model.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/..._enabled_image

I understand the need for internet security, but man alive I've been running into a lot of problems with CORS lately, both at home and at work. It's rapidly moving towards the kind of security typified by the "we can eliminate crime by killing everyone" mindset.*

* Known as "The Dark Judges Solution" to Judge Dredd fans.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:00 PM   #228
kenfoote

Ignorant question: I haven't looked at your code, nor have I worked with SVG outside of Inkscape and such, but it sounds like you are using saved SVG files? Is that correct? Since SVG is an XML format, would loading the SVG map elements via code (classes?) work? You wouldn't have to load any local image files. Like I said, ignorant question.

I haven't worked on my 3D virtual tabletop, mostly because Bradley Shepherd's Battle Map Studio looks so good. But if SVG isn't practical for Shamat, I might try to create a utility that imports the Shamat format and exports printable SVG maps, via Node.js. My "optimism" is only based on the fact that Inkscape can be installed in Node.js and run via command line verbs. Folks should only read this is they want to be REALLY bored lol: https://how-to.fandom.com/wiki/How_t.../List_of_verbs Again, I might be ignorant, this time in relation to CORS and Node.js Inkscape. My motivation would be the ability to export multiple-page PDFs to print and tape or otherwise connect together.
kenfoote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 07:18 AM   #229
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenfoote View Post
Ignorant question: I haven't looked at your code, nor have I worked with SVG outside of Inkscape and such, but it sounds like you are using saved SVG files? Is that correct? Since SVG is an XML format, would loading the SVG map elements via code (classes?) work? You wouldn't have to load any local image files. Like I said, ignorant question.
No, it's a good one, and pretty much the solution I have been working on. At the moment I am turning the SVG files into Base64 encoded strings and loading them from a secondary Javascript file. I have written a simple HTML form page that lets one load images and convert them to the file source on the fly, too. The main issue I am working on now is that the SVG images have to be preformatted to a specific size before loading, so that they fit the hexes correctly. If I can determine a way to intelligently resize any image from the source to this size then I will do so. Otherwise I will likely provide a template file that folks will need to fit their custom SVGs to.
Old 04-01-2020, 01:17 PM   #230
kenfoote

Shadekeep, just letting you know I've finally started (really restarted) my idea for a 3D virtual tabletop that uses the Shamat format to load maps: https://www.megahex.me/ I plan to keep it simple, as my intention is only to display combat arenas, not labyrinths or outdoor maps, so I'm only going to import base layers and megahex outlines (haven't done that part yet). Definitely skipping partial hexes. :P
kenfoote is offline   Reply With Quote