Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 09-03-2016, 07:29 PM   #511
Bruno

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
Another add-on I'd really like would be miniatures of each of the monsters in the box set, along with minis for each of the classes and races (as well as any allies, if they don't fit in either of those things), but that would require you to hook up with an external company like Reaper Miniatures - and if not minis, then something like the Pathfinder Pawns. Then again, I'm the kind of GM who likes to have a mini or pawn suited for any occasion and am willing to pay way too much to be able to do so.
The current boxed set will have Cardboard Heroes on some pretty hefty material in it, so that's promising.

I would expect at least the professions to be represented (in male and female, please), but every possible profession/race combo would be difficult. I'd like to humbly submit that a few different flavors of human other than "pink" would be good additions.

I like to hope every monster is represented, along with good handfuls of standards like "goblin warrior"

EDIT: A possible stretch goal would be an add-on of extra copies of the Cardboard Heroes, for folks that don't need an entire second boxed set. But that could be fiddly to package.
Will the Cardboard Heroes be part of the 35$ PDFs (or a PDF add-on option)?
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 07:31 PM   #512
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I would expect at least the professions to be represented (in male and female, please), but every possible profession/race combo would be difficult. I'd like to humbly submit that a few different flavors of human other than "pink" would be good additions.
Yes, definitely women (without thongs or boob-plate, please) and some non-white heroes!
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 07:39 PM   #513
scc

OK, yesterday and about 20 pages back, I asked if the $35 PDF only version will include PDF copies of the map and counters, Phil said he'd look into it, has there been an answer and I've just missed it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Yes, definitely women (without thongs or boob-plate, please) and some non-white heroes!
*Shakes magic 8-ball, reads fortune Don't count on it*
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 08:18 PM   #514
Nemoricus

Quote:
I'd like that as well, though the Carboard Heroes are by far and away the least important part of this for me.
Nemoricus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 08:23 PM   #515
DreadDomain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post

If the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game were actually GURPS, I think that would be a worry. But it isn't! It's another game based on GURPS. The universal system already exists but is more system than game . . . what's missing are actual worked examples of games you can create using the system. Creating those doesn't affect the system – even if some of them need tweaks. It's like the guy in my hardware example going out and buying some extra parts for his house, because they weren't in his shop: That doesn't make his shop less useful, and it doesn't mean he needs to start cluttering up his shop with yet more hardware he needed for one specific project.
IMHO it is the only sane way to approach this. First, GURPS is a fantastic toolkit and the nature of a toolkit is to be used to build something else which is useful or purposely focused.

Second, building DF with the tools provided by GURPS is a different task than say building a Space Opera game. Building a Super, four coloured focused game would probably require a drastically different approach possibly by toning down the focus on accurate builds, turning to eleven the narrative tools like Impulse and review the relationship between Lifting ST, STdamage , Innate Atack, DR of innanimate objects, HP and technology in general. In the end, both the Dungeon Fantasy RPG and the International Super Teams RPG would definitely be rooted in GURPS but could have drastically different focus and use diverging rules (an expanded Knowing your own ST as an example).

I suspect After the End or Monster Hunters would be "easier" boxsets to tackle but Space Opera and Supers would have broader appeal (although Supers would probably be a lot more work)
DreadDomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 08:51 PM   #516
DreadDomain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
The current boxed set will have Cardboard Heroes on some pretty hefty material in it, so that's promising.

I like to hope every monster is represented, along with good handfuls of standards like "goblin warrior"
Not specifically related to the Cardboard Heroes but what I would like to see in the Adventurers book is at least one illustration specific to each professions and races (I would like the same for each monsters). Of course I do not expect every combination of profession/race/gender (would not make sense) but a good selection goes a long way towards building mood.

I recently bought The Dark Eye RPG 5th Edition and darn is this book beautiful (one of the best production value I have seen). Each races, cultures and professions are illustrated as well as a dozen pre-created characters giving the reader around 70 illustrated persona to jump start his imagination. I'd like to have something similar for DF although the total count would probably be closer to 20 (professions plus races).

Speaking of mood, I like the art I have seen so far (Brandon is great) but I tends to be a bit too static for my taste. The covers should breathe action. The Adventurers sketch that we have seen ticks a lot of the boxes.

Atmospheric dungeon? Check
A full party? Check
A thief trying to unlock a door? Check
A threat and a sense of danger and action? Not so much.

The picture would be much better is the party would be busy battling a threat while the thief tries to unlock the door under pressure. Bonus points if we can see/guess more critters about to jump out of the shadows...
DreadDomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:07 PM   #517
kmunoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadDomain View Post
Not specifically related to the Cardboard Heroes but what I would like to see in the Adventurers book is at least one illustration specific to each professions and races (I would like the same for each monsters).
Definitely. Monsters with really good art is extremely important to me, too. I actually built an entire section of a recent adventure for my group around DF bugbears simply because that single image was so evocative.
kmunoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:32 PM   #518
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
My preference is towards humans of the middle brown humans are by default as the default in art, with deviations in both directions.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:35 PM   #519
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadDomain View Post
I suspect After the End or Monster Hunters would be "easier" boxsets to tackle but Space Opera and Supers would have broader appeal (although Supers would probably be a lot more work)
Supers would be too complex, what with all the custom built Powers each character would need. As for Space Opera, the term is really too broad, if you narrowed it down to something like fighter pilots only or something, possibly doable.

EDIT: ADDENDUM: I can so see something Armor of the Chaste Maiden and the Armor's of the Celibate Maiden I did a while back fitting in with DF's humor

*Female delver holds up knotted ball of dental floss*
You say this is armor? Looks like something a hooker would wear.
Well yes, but the enchantments on it are valid and there's no way it could hinder your movements, got it real cheap too, mustn't be very popular

Last edited by scc; 09-03-2016 at 09:42 PM.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:44 PM   #520
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
OK, yesterday and about 20 pages back, I asked if the $35 PDF only version will include PDF copies of the map and counters, Phil said he'd look into it, has there been an answer and I've just missed it?

*Shakes magic 8-ball, reads fortune Don't count on it*
I dont recall seeing an answer, it might have to wait till after the weekend, which includes Monday this week.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, fantasy