Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 07-03-2011, 01:13 AM   #1
nago

Default A New Munchkin Fonts Thread

The old font thread had become a little mired in copyright ickyness. So here's a new thread, aimed at identifying the fonts used in the Munchkin sets.
No links to font downloads (most of these are commercial, non-free fonts), custom cards, or samples of regular cards on non-official sites.
Some of these are well known, some are guesses. Feel free to confirm, correct, or so on.

Munchkin Header: Windlass**
Munchkin Body: Caslon Antique Regular

Star Header: Techno ( Regular / PS )
Star Body: Optima ( Thin / Regular )

Fu Header: Painter Narrow
Fu Body: Garamond Light Condensed;

Bites Header: Gehenna
Bites Body: ITC Tiepolo (EF)

Super Header: Glass Jaw BB Regular
Super Body: Blambot Casual

Impossible Header: New Aster Black
Impossible Body: ???

Cthulhu Header: Windlass
Cthulhu Body: It's very similar to Jannon Antiqua or American Garamond; but it's not quite either of those. Jannon Antiqua's serif on the '2' doesn't curl up like it does on the 'Cultist' sample card, and American Garamond's serif on the lowercase 'g' doesn't curl up like it does on that same Cultist card.

GBM Header: Schadow Black Condensed BT
GBM Body: ???

Booty Header: Windlass
Booty Body: (snicker) ???

Zombie Header: Crackhouse / Cracked
Zombie Body: ???

Thanks to Smilie23, MunchkinMan, and Terraism from the old thread for pointing out most of these.
Thanks to Sarouk for a really good tip about finding font names from PDF files! It really helped with a lot of the headers.
** I am reasonably sure that the author of 'Quasimodo' has, at some point, renamed his font 'Windlass'. From the vendor's page itself, a search for 'quasimodo' mysteriously redirects to 'windlass'. I can't find an explanation, but I suspect copyright issues of some kind. It's likely that the version SJGames has been licensed is from when it was still called Quasimodo.

Last edited by nago; 07-10-2011 at 01:29 AM.
nago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:48 AM   #2
Sarouk

Default Re: A New Munchkin Fonts Thread

Download all the Rule sheets in PDF format and look at the list of fonts inside. As far as I know the fonts on the cards are the same as in the Rule sheets.
Sarouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:37 AM   #3
troyanito28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarouk View Post
Download all the Rule sheets in PDF format and look at the list of fonts inside. As far as I know the fonts on the cards are the same as in the Rule sheets.
In what part of the Rule sheets does it say the font name used?
troyanito28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:47 PM   #4
Sarouk

In the 'File' menu there is a sub-menu 'Document properties'. Might be slightly different name depending on acrobat version.

After seleting that option you will have a new window and on the left pane a list of options. One is 'Fonts'. Select it and you wil see all fonts used in the PDF.

Example: for the Munchkin Zombie PDF. I see 'Cracked' font. Which is the font for the sub-title like 'BRAAAAIIIINNNSS!' which match the font in the title on a zombie card. The main text of the rule PDF seem to be CaslonAntique which is most likely the same font use for the text on a zombie card.

As for the Munchkin cards in the Rules PDF the font is Quasimodo. Windlass is a very close match (possibly a free version of Quasimodo). I bet the true font is quasimodo since that is what is in the PDF.

Hope that will help you find the fonts you are looking for.

Edit:
Also if you have a full version of acrobat and can edit the PDF you just have to select any part of the text in the PDF and look at it properties. That will show you the font name/size and other informations.

PDF were created on a mac so possibly some fonts are not available on a PC. I believe Quasimodo is installed on a Mac. I have not seen it in Windows. Windlass is available for windows. You will have to substitue for closest fonts if one is not available on your OS.

Last edited by Sarouk; 07-09-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Sarouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:00 AM   #5
nago

Nice tip, thanks! I'll fiddle around with this for a while. Don't have a mac available to me at home, but there are plenty in the lab and at work I can use.

--

It seems like the rules don't always use the exact same font as the cards. I am convinced the cards for Munchkin Fu are using Garamond Light Condensed, whereas the rules PDF is using New Aster -- a very similar font, but the serifs on the "i" and "r" are flat, whereas the serifs on the cards are actually angled somewhat, like in Garamond Light Condensed.

At least, this is what I seem to see!

http://worldofmunchkin.com/munchkinf...aratesquid.jpg
Note the serifs on the i, r, and m in particular, and compare to the rules text in fu_rules.pdf.

New Aster, the rules font, and Garamond Light Condensed, what I suspect is the actual card body font.

It looks like the body text for the rules for Bites also isn't the same: the actual font on the cards (What I suspect is Tiepolo Book) doesn't match the rules: the cards have diamond shaped bullets; but the rules uses New Aster again. The header fonts seem very reliable, though.

Last edited by nago; 07-10-2011 at 01:00 AM.
nago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:54 PM   #6
njr75003
Banned

BTW, does anyone know of a PROPERLY-WORKING PC Version of the STAR MUNCHKIN Techno Font? There is one out there, but a lot of the characters have pixel errors, and the layout leaves about 10 times the space it should between lines. I don't know if this was an attempt to translate the Mac TT version gone awry, or just a slapped-together handmade copy, but either way, it doesn't work like it should.
njr75003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:11 PM   #7
njr75003
Banned

BTW, I think the body fonts for GBM, Booty and Zombie are also Caslon Antique Regular. Having seen samples of the cards on BOARDGAMEGEEK, they look the same as on original MUNCHKIN.
njr75003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:04 PM   #8
Quaff_fu

The iPhone as an app for Identify fonts.

Pat

Last edited by Quaff_fu; 08-07-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Quaff_fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:57 AM   #9
Quaff_fu

Quote:
Originally Posted by nago View Post
** I am reasonably sure that the author of 'Quasimodo' has, at some point, renamed his font 'Windlass'. From the vendor's page itself, a search for 'quasimodo' mysteriously redirects to 'windlass'. I can't find an explanation, but I suspect copyright issues of some kind. It's likely that the version SJGames has been licensed is from when it was still called Quasimodo.
If you are a member of the Munchkin Adventurers Guild (note, it is closed to new membership). You can download Quasimodo (and some other fonts) from the file section.

Pat

Edit: I would go with windlass (which also can be found on the MAG) over Quasimodo, because windlass is an update version of Quasimodo. Quasimodo has problems converting things like ( )+ $ & # and windlass dose not.

Last edited by Quaff_fu; 08-14-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Quaff_fu is offline   Reply With Quote