Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2019, 01:39 AM   #21
Anthony
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Berkeley, CA
Default Re: GURPS/Organization CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
Do you think all forms of brainwashing would be illegal, even if it is internal propaganda?
All non-cinematically effective brainwashing will need coercive techniques that would be illegal.
__________________
My GURPS site and Blog.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:44 AM   #22
whswhs
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Default Re: GURPS/Organization CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
Do you think all forms of brainwashing would be illegal, even if it is internal propaganda? If so, I will reduce CR to 5.
What GURPS calls Brainwashing (see the skill writeup, or the longer discussion in Back to School) depends on coercive methods that would definitely be illegal. I recommend not using the word for internal propaganda.
__________________
Bill Stoddard

A human being should know how to live fast, die young, and leave a beautiful corpse. Specialization is for insects.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:17 AM   #23
Alonsua
 
Alonsua's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Default Re: GURPS/Organization CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
What GURPS calls Brainwashing (see the skill writeup, or the longer discussion in Back to School) depends on coercive methods that would definitely be illegal. I recommend not using the word for internal propaganda.
What about VR or dream games?
__________________
CFO/Co-Chairman and major shareholder of Uberlife Inc.
Uberlife Incorporated
Alonsua is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:30 AM   #24
Icelander
 
Icelander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Iceland*
Default Re: GURPS/Organization CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
Do you think all forms of brainwashing would be illegal, even if it is internal propaganda? If so, I will reduce CR to 5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
All non-cinematically effective brainwashing will need coercive techniques that would be illegal.
Yeah, GURPS Propaganda skill and Brainwashing skill are different things.
__________________
Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!
Icelander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 04:39 AM   #25
Alonsua
 
Alonsua's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Default Re: GURPS/Organization CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Yeah, GURPS Propaganda skill and Brainwashing skill are different things.
Okey then. Dropped to CR5.
__________________
CFO/Co-Chairman and major shareholder of Uberlife Inc.
Uberlife Incorporated
Alonsua is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:12 AM   #26
Michele
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Udine, Italy
Default Re: GURPS/Organization CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
Okey then. Dropped to CR5.
The point isn't the game-mechanical CR level, the point is what you do to enforce it.
Suppose your rule is that no meat can be eaten. An employee violates the rule.

Do the security goons give him a beating? Obviously against the law, and if this is not a one-off event that you can unload on those over-eager goons, but standard policy, you're in for a sea of trouble.
Do you fire the employee for eating meat, or reduce his weekly wage for two weeks? You're not violating criminal laws, but you're in for civil and labor-related problems, not to mention the PR issues.
Do you let him know you are very displased, since you love him so much and yet he doesn't seem to worry about disappointing you? That's OK. It's up to you to find (or, to shape) employees for which this is enough of a threat.
__________________
Michele Armellini
GURPS Locations: St. George's Cathedral
Michele is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:38 AM   #27
Alonsua
 
Alonsua's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Default Re: GURPS/Organization CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
The point isn't the game-mechanical CR level, the point is what you do to enforce it.
Suppose your rule is that no meat can be eaten. An employee violates the rule.

Do the security goons give him a beating? Obviously against the law, and if this is not a one-off event that you can unload on those over-eager goons, but standard policy, you're in for a sea of trouble.
Do you fire the employee for eating meat, or reduce his weekly wage for two weeks? You're not violating criminal laws, but you're in for civil and labor-related problems, not to mention the PR issues.
Do you let him know you are very displased, since you love him so much and yet he doesn't seem to worry about disappointing you? That's OK. It's up to you to find (or, to shape) employees for which this is enough of a threat.
The last option seems good enough.
__________________
CFO/Co-Chairman and major shareholder of Uberlife Inc.
Uberlife Incorporated
Alonsua is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:42 AM   #28
Ulzgoroth
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Default Re: GURPS/Organization CR

Where of course "okay" should be understood to mean that you're probably safe from legal consequences. You're still likely to get some really bad press out of it.
__________________
I don't know any 3e, so there is no chance that I am talking about 3e rules by accident.
Ulzgoroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:39 AM   #29
Anthony
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Berkeley, CA
Default Re: GURPS/Organization CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
Suppose your rule is that no meat can be eaten. An employee violates the rule.
I would note that this depends somewhat on the purpose of the organization. If your business is selling FauxMeat to vegetarians, and you have a company ideology that says that eating real meat is unethical, employees eating meat goes against the core purpose of the organization and thus allows somewhat stronger response than otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
Do the security goons give him a beating?
If the behavior is generally illegal, the fact that it's against your policy does not make it legal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
Do you fire the employee for eating meat, or reduce his weekly wage for two weeks? You're not violating criminal laws, but you're in for civil and labor-related problems, not to mention the PR issues.
Note that what you're firing the employee for does matter, because it might be a suspect classification or proxy for one (for example, rules about eating meat might be a proxy for religious discrimination).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
Do you let him know you are very displased, since you love him so much and yet he doesn't seem to worry about disappointing you? That's OK.
Maybe. Could easily be hostile work environment.
__________________
My GURPS site and Blog.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.