Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-09-2019, 03:51 PM   #11
Stormcrow

Default Re: GURPS/Space/Earth

I think what we have here is an attempt to simulate the world using GURPS. It just wasn't built for that. Use GURPS to decide what happens to characters in play, not to watch the flow of global wealth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
Thats not what the GURPS wealth represents though, since it relates to income and personal assets. The only way to represent this would be to divide the Wealth advantage in two different parts, one for income and the other for assets.
A character can be Poor in a world where the average Wealth is, well, Average. They have Poor jobs even though there may be Wealthy people working nearby.
Stormcrow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:43 PM   #12
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
A character can be Poor in a world where the average Wealth is, well, Average. They have Poor jobs even though there may be Wealthy people working nearby.
How does that change the system math? One would compensate the other, but unless you separate income from assets, you will be in the same place at the end.
Alonsua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 05:06 PM   #13
talonthehand

Quote:
How does that change the system math? One would compensate the other, but unless you separate income from assets, you will be in the same place at the end.
Not really - people have different levels of personal assets as well. Someone living in a mansion has more stuff than someone living in a mud hut. It comes down to what many others have told you - GURPS is a gameable abstraction. It is not, nor is it intended to be, a reality simulator.
talonthehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 05:34 PM   #14
David Johnston2

Quote:
Income is separate from assets. Wealth (the game advantage/disadvantage) only determines starting assets. Your house can be hit by a bomb. You can save up lots of money while living a Scrooge-like existence of self denial at home. Your Wealth does not determine how much dosh you have piled up at any given moment.

And the point of giving a number for how money you'd have if you stole everyone's assets still escapes me.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:05 PM   #15
AlexanderHowl

Wealth only gives you starting personal assets, not private assets such as trademarks, patents, copyrights, companies, or other difficult to liquidate revenue generating instruments. Without Independent Income, a character only has personal assets. With Independent Income, they may have revenue generating instruments.

For example, a character with Multimillionaire 4 and Independent Income 5 would earn $12 billion per year, suggesting revenue private assets worth $240 billion (a modest and sustainable 5% annual return). The character also has personal assets with $20 billion, of which $4 billion is adventuring gear. With $1 billion a month, they can decide to add to their personal assets or to their private assets.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:19 PM   #16
dataweaver

Regardless, the issue is that Earth's society is highly balkanized. As such, having one set of sociological ratings (Wealth, population, TL, CR, etc.) isn't particularly useful: if you find a society on Earth that conforms with such overall ratings, it will be by sheer coincidence.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:34 AM   #17
AlexanderHowl

Unfortunately, the GURPS formula works when you adjust for the more than 2x difference in value between a GURPS (1985) $ and a 2019 $. That means that the per capita income for a TL8 society would be around $62,000 (2019). If you assume that Earth us Affinity 8, it is 3x the population that it can sustain, reducing per capita income to around $20,000 (2019). The official per capita (PPP) figure from that UN is around $18,000 (2019), so the GURPS formula is actually quite good. Since we are on the cusp of TL9, there carrying capacity and average wealth will both increase, though we will never reach sustainability.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:06 PM   #18
capnq

I wonder if one of the Transhuman Space books has one. (I can't check, because I lost my copies in a fire.)

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. -- Mark Twain
capnq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:25 PM   #19
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnq View Post
I wonder if one of the Transhuman Space books has one. (I can't check, because I lost my copies in a fire.)
There are many of those, it would take ages to check XD
Alonsua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:50 PM   #20
dataweaver

Fourth Wave and Broken Dreams dealt with Earth. I'm pretty sure that the first one had statistics on countries.