Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-25-2020, 03:02 AM   #1
Lameth

Default Psionic or magical banishment

Hello

I’m attempting to create a power very much seen in the TV program Supernatural. The purpose of the power is to forcibly expel a possessing entity from its host, and then follow it up with a banishment to send it back to where it belongs. Very much like to show the PC will only need to extend out her hand and by force of will attempt to cross the creature to be expelled and then if that stage as possible, banished. On my world this is a very very rare power due to most forms of expelling and exorcism or only done with either powerful magical rpm rituals what various tools and components, or they are performed as holy exorcisms.

So first stage of the power would be like the Unrouting The creature from its host and then after the creature is surely stunned by what is happening to them, and very confused and maybe even in pain, the next stage begins of a banishment to remove the creature from the material plane.

The power set that I’m thinking of will either be psychic in nature or magical. No tools or special equipment needed for this power to be used. Yes I wanted to be Costly (around 10fp) to use for the first part, And then the second part would have an adjustable FP cost based on the percentage of the creature total package that is being banished.

Any help and this would be greatly appreciated.
Lameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 04:56 AM   #2
Anders

Default Re: Psionic or magical banishment

Do you want it built as a power?

Banishment would be Affliction (Advantage, Jumper, +1000%) with a Cosmic modifier for being able to affect nonliving. The first one... Neutralize (Possession)?
Old 02-25-2020, 05:20 AM   #3
AlexanderHowl

I think that it could be modeled as a Burning Attack 1d with Malediction 1 (+100%) and Side Effect (Negated Advantage, Possession, -1/3 HP, +300%). It possesses a special effect that 'death' is actually banishment to the home realm of the entity. The host takes damage as the entity attempts to resist the influence of the power.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 05:35 AM   #4
Aldric

Wouldn't Symptoms do that, instead of Side Effects?
And how about having the attack deal FP damage instead?
You could negate possession first, and banish after some more damage.

Edit:forgot to add that, if your attack also costs fatigue, you get pretty close to what the OP was looking for.
Aldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 06:58 AM   #5
munin

Does it need to be a "power"?

The first part is just the Exorcism skill (p. B193) with -10 for Haste (p. B346) and some setting adjustments.

The second part could be done with the Pentagram spell (pp. M124-125) to hold the spirit and the Banish spell (pp. M156) to send it away.

As for being a rare ability, Exorcism is difficult without certain advantages (Blessed, Power Investiture, or True Faith) and Pentagram and Banish both have Magery/PI prereqs.
munin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 09:28 AM   #6
Lameth

Yes I was trying to build it as a power and make it a psi ability
Lameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 11:34 AM   #7
AlexanderHowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldric View Post
Wouldn't Symptoms do that, instead of Side Effects?
And how about having the attack deal FP damage instead?
You could negate possession first, and banish after some more damage.

Edit:forgot to add that, if your attack also costs fatigue, you get pretty close to what the OP was looking for.
Yes, Symptoms, not Side Effects, my mistake. As for Costs FP, it would probably be 1 FP/turn, so it would probably have a minimal effect on CP cost. I would actually combine it with No Signature (+20%) and Psionic (-10%), so the final cost was 25 CP.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 01:06 PM   #8
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Banishment would be Affliction (Advantage, Jumper, +1000%) with a Cosmic modifier for being able to affect nonliving.
I didn't know you'd need cosmic to give advantages/disadvantages to non-living beings. I figure you'd just need "Affects Insubstantial".

Or actually, since I've never seen them banish non-spirits, "Insubstantial Only".

Instead might it be "living beings only" as an accessibility on affliction
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 03:58 PM   #9
Refplace

I handle this with several options.
Exorcism
Neutralize or Affliction Negated Advantage for Insubstantial with Spiritual limitation.
Mind Control, 1 command only -"Get thee Out!"
Banish
Affliction Jumper, or variations on above. Also enough damage that they need to retreat.
The exact build used depends on what the caster has and how the possessing entity works.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 04:21 PM   #10
DangerousThing

How about a Binding linked to an attack on their FP. The special effect is that the binding is shrinking until it forces them out of this plane of existence. Limitation, only works on spirits.

Of course, you still have to get the spirit from the victim first.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote