Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-25-2020, 01:51 PM   #41
maximara
On Notice

Default Re: Quadruped Golem question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Right, but hypothetically we should know how to work it if a one-armed man with 1/4 strength get zapped with Affliction (Horizontal +10%)
If we take the "Horizontal" literally then the man would be walking on his knees rather then his feet which gives added stability for the next part - using his one arm in the center of his upper body to keep from falling (he'd be seriously unbalanced otherwise.)
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 04:41 AM   #42
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
If we take the "Horizontal" literally then the man would be walking on his knees rather then his feet
You don't have to take it literally though, nothing in the wording prevents the hips from being higher than the shoulders.

Plus you can lower the hips by bending knees (quad exhaustion) widening feet (adductor exhaustion) or moving feet back (hip flexor exhaustion)

Going by B367, using knees instead of feet is crawling. Horizontal lets you do the "I'm walking with a low profile using my hands" thing without actually needing to knee-walk, it's probably be good as a "Controllable Disadvantage" perk for some humans.

I can see good argument for walking/running being more exhausting (and slower) for creatures with legs longer than their arms though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
which gives added stability for the next part - using his one arm in the center of his upper body to keep from falling (he'd be seriously unbalanced otherwise.)
A dog missing one of it's forelimbs would basically compensate for that by doing a sort of hopping motion.

I can't actually find any rules for hopping on one leg. If we made some, perhaps we could call it 'hopscotching' ? B141 says you can't walk at all without a peg/cane so all I can think is to use 'jumping'.

Since you retain a Basic Move of 2, I guess B352 still gives you a broad jump of 1 foot. You couldn't do a 'running' broad jump... and you'd halve that to 6 inches if you didn't take 2 consecutive concentrate maneuvers, but assuming it takes 1 second to do a non-concentrate jump, that's still faster (18 inches per 3 seconds instead of 12)

There's no mention here of difference between using 1 leg or 2 legs for Broad/High jump. I'd normally speculate to halve it, but reducing Basic Move 5 to Basic Move 2 has already more than halved so I don't know if it should apply there too.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 07:58 AM   #43
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
A dog missing one of it's forelimbs would basically compensate for that by doing a sort of hopping motion.
Which as mentioned before on this thread has the Extra Legs advantage so he's out.

Quote:
Since you retain a Basic Move of 2, I guess B352 still gives you a broad jump of 1 foot. You couldn't do a 'running' broad jump... and you'd halve that to 6 inches if you didn't take 2 consecutive concentrate maneuvers, but assuming it takes 1 second to do a non-concentrate jump, that's still faster (18 inches per 3 seconds instead of 12)

There's no mention here of difference between using 1 leg or 2 legs for Broad/High jump. I'd normally speculate to halve it, but reducing Basic Move 5 to Basic Move 2 has already more than halved so I don't know if it should apply there too.
I believe the Basic Move would be 2 in these cases.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote