Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-21-2019, 02:27 PM   #1
Astromancer

Default Blending Star Trek and the World of Darkness (classic)

Basically I added this to the Setting Fusion thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
The World of Darkness and Star Trek.

At first you think the Technoply has won, until you see that the values of the Council of the Traditions run the place. The Technocratic Union and the Disperates Council make good foes and opponents. The Al-i-batini, the Syndicate, and the New World Order, would compete for most evil. Null Threat, the monsterously warped versions of four members of the Technocratic Union, would be four scary takes on the Borg.
To which...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Huh. I'd like to see this idea expanded.
And David Johnston objected...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
I'm quite certain they don't. The mandatory atheism alone establishes that at least one member of the Traditions is not represented.
I answered...

Quote:
Got your objection. First off there are multiple examples of references to Christianity in both Star Trek: OS and NG. Atheism is normal not required. Besides, I assume the Celestial Chorus got Bajor. And given the religious ritualism of the Vulcans, Klingons, and Betazoids, faith is well represented in the Federation.

Certainly the Hermetics got control of the school reading lists.
And I further state...

Quote:
Over next week I'll try to do something this way.

I'm assuming the Ngoma have replaced the Celestial Chorus in the Coucil of Nine. Bajor, as I said before, was the Chorus' consolation prize. Meanwhile the Changelings are part of the Federation. By that I mean that the Changelings from Changeling:the Dreaming are part of the Federation, as are some Fera. The Garou got the Klingon Empire.

Note: Most First Sphere effects are coincidental magick. Psi is a proven fact, so almost all First Sphere effects can past for some form of Psionic ability.

More later when I've got something good. And I'll post It on a separate threat.

This is that separate thread. Feel free to spin your own ideas. If I like them, I'll steal them, if not, have your own fun. I intend to have my fun you have yours.

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 12-23-2022 at 05:24 PM.
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 06:00 PM   #2
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: Blending Star Trek and the World of Darkness (classic)

Well, the first thing that needs to happen is to jettison the idea that humans are nascent gods. Instead, you could have the idea that humans/sapients shape reality as being a delusion that is regrettably common among 'psychics', which eventually evolves into the 'psychic' permanently entering into the Dreaming. They become a permanent resident of the Dreaming and forget their material existence.

As for the nonhuman races, I would divide them between homo-derived and alien-derived. Homo-derived races are previous exportations of Earth life allowed through the use of 'psychic' gateways constructed by primordial psychic civilizations that existed before the dominance of homo sapiens sapiens. Such homo-derived races would be descended from neanderthal, denisovan, archaic, etc. Alien-derived races are just nonhuman races that originated from planets other than Earth.

With the Eugenics Wars, the Tradition-Marauder Alliance shattered the Technocracy-Nephandi Alliance. The genetically engineered superhuman, the last of the Technocracy, fled the Earth after sacrificing their Nephandi allies, a fitting end to the traitorous Nephandi. The Marauders eventually turned on the Traditions and destroyed them during World War III before turning on themselves.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 06:16 PM   #3
Astromancer

It will be a couple of days before I can put the link on this page, but Answers with Joe has a YouTube video on Quantum Gravity. I think that a unified theory that uses the Golden Ratio is totally Hermetic. Beauty should be basic to the fabric of reality.

Ancora Imparo
Old 12-21-2019, 06:17 PM   #4
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Well, the first thing that needs to happen is to jettison the idea that humans are nascent gods. Instead, you could have the idea that humans/sapients shape reality as being a delusion that is regrettably common among 'psychics', which eventually evolves into the 'psychic' permanently entering into the Dreaming. They become a permanent resident of the Dreaming and forget their material existence.

As for the nonhuman races, I would divide them between homo-derived and alien-derived. Homo-derived races are previous exportations of Earth life allowed through the use of 'psychic' gateways constructed by primordial psychic civilizations that existed before the dominance of homo sapiens sapiens. Such homo-derived races would be descended from neanderthal, denisovan, archaic, etc. Alien-derived races are just nonhuman races that originated from planets other than Earth.

With the Eugenics Wars, the Tradition-Marauder Alliance shattered the Technocracy-Nephandi Alliance. The genetically engineered superhuman, the last of the Technocracy, fled the Earth after sacrificing their Nephandi allies, a fitting end to the traitorous Nephandi. The Marauders eventually turned on the Traditions and destroyed them during World War III before turning on themselves.
Not my taste. But it's interesting. See where you go with this will be a treat!

Ancora Imparo
Old 12-21-2019, 06:44 PM   #5
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Well, the first thing that needs to happen is to jettison the idea that humans are nascent gods.
Why? It's consistent with both Mage the Ascension and Star Trek, to various degrees.

EDIT: If you're objecting to 'Humans are Special,' well, perhaps sapience itself is a form of nascent godhood.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 07:42 PM   #6
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Why? It's consistent with both Mage the Ascension and Star Trek, to various degrees.

EDIT: If you're objecting to 'Humans are Special,' well, perhaps sapience itself is a form of nascent godhood.
I'd agree with that as an aspect of both settings.

Ancora Imparo
Old 12-23-2019, 02:51 PM   #7
Astromancer

Coincidental magick is changed here. Advanced tech covers a great deal of any problem in blatant power use. Psionics is commonplace. Use GURPS Psionics if your using GURPS or Sorcerers Revised if your doing White Wold, either way Psi covers a lot.

Use Threat Null to replace both the Borg and the Changelings. The Autopolitans are an insanely warped version of Interation X, they're the Borg. Transhumanity covers the Changelings (but not the Changeling the Dreaming sort) The Agents (NWO distortions) and the Residents (Syndicate distrotions) replace the Vorta and are much nastier.

Ancora Imparo
Old 12-27-2019, 02:09 PM   #8
Astromancer

Tradition Mages and Changelings get the Federation, Wraiths are...deeply confused but otherwise unchanged. So I'll deal with the Garou, Fera, Vampires (Cainite and Cathyan), Hunters, and Mummies, first. (I'm leaving out the Demons, I don't remember enough about them.

The Garou get the Klingon Empire. Most Klingon are Kinsfolk. The Garou have their cultures according to their Tribes but these cultures are beginning to merge and change. They don't look like either the early or the later Klingon, but they do dress like them.

The Bastet are now the Catians. They are in the Federation and seeking influence.

The Ajaba,

More later I must go.

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 01-15-2023 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-03-2020, 01:36 PM   #9
Astromancer

Quote:

The Bastet are now the Catians. They are in the Federation and seeking influence.
Other breeds like the Corax, the Gurahl. the Nuwisha, and the Rokea are largely within the Federation, but far from exclusively.

The Kitsume and the Asian Beast Courts form a independent power on speaking terms with the Federation and few others.

The Ratkin are mainly hostile nomads that avoid trouble if they think they'll be caught. But they disdain the Federation less than other powers. The Ajaba have a similar but far more pragmatic and low key approach. They value networking with outsiders far more than the Ratkin.

The Mokoe are the Gorns. What else?

The Nagah haven't shown up yet. The Ananasi have shown up but stay well out of sight.

Meanwhile, the Apis, the Camazotz and the Grondr have all shown up in the Federation. More confused than most, but believing Gaia assigned them here, they work for the Federation.

Ancora Imparo
Old 01-06-2020, 01:21 PM   #10
Astromancer

I plan to get back to this, but does anyone else have ideas they want to present?

Ancora Imparo

Tags
navy, star trek, world of darkness