Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 12:05 PM   #11
Shadekeep

Default Re: The Fantasy Trip D12/D3 Preorder (and more dice!) Now Open at BackerKit

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
No. Hexagram #3 is scheduled to go to Kickstarter. We will have more info soonish.
Cool, looking forward to it!
Old 09-25-2019, 03:03 PM   #12
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Default Re: The Fantasy Trip D12/D3 Preorder (and more dice!) Now Open at BackerKit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
Please make the d12/d3 dice an add-on for a future Kickstarter (like the Hexagram).
Possibly as a limited reward level. We will look at options.
Old 09-25-2019, 03:33 PM   #13
JimmyPlenty

I like the d3/d12 just for the fact that old school gaming generally needs weird dice. :) I would like to see d8/d4 or d8/d2 in this similar style (the same font).

I also would like to see these on the next kickstarter. A shipping thing.

I also love those black d6 dice with the same font along with the megahex dice that you previewed in an KS update. How far along are those waiting to be made?

Last edited by JimmyPlenty; 09-25-2019 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-25-2019, 03:44 PM   #14
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyPlenty View Post
I also love those black d6 dice with the same font along with the megahex dice that you previewed in an KS update. How far along are those waiting to be made?
Prototypes are in. We just have to finalize a home for them and create the full run of dice.
Old 09-25-2019, 03:55 PM   #15
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
Possibly as a limited reward level. We will look at options.
Appreciate that, Phil. As a stand-alone order, $6+ shipping for two dice is hard to justify right now.
Old 09-25-2019, 04:01 PM   #16
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
Appreciate that, Phil. As a stand-alone order, $6+ shipping for two dice is hard to justify right now.
The preorder store is best for ordering multiple sets of dice, not just one or two dice. We will also offer dice on Warehouse 23 starting in January.
Old 09-25-2019, 04:36 PM   #17
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
But the result plot of 1D12 is very different from 2D6
Roll 2D6, preferably different colors; designate one color as the base result. For the other, 1-3 means take that result; 4-6 means base+6. Uniform flat distribution from 1-12, just like a d12. More annoying to roll, though, plus needing physically different dice. D12s are better if you have them -- and these days, why wouldn't you? :)
Old 09-26-2019, 06:57 AM   #18
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
More annoying to roll, though, plus needing physically different dice. D12s are better if you have them -- and these days, why wouldn't you? :)
I'm talking about using 1D12 as a substitute for 2D6, since everything in base TFT is a D6 roll. 6-7-8 are significantly more common results than 2 or 12, whereas on a D12 every result is equally likely (and there is no 1 result in 2D6). So I'm saying a D12 doesn't replace 2D6, unless one is willing to live with a drastically different results curve.

However, it sounds like they're adding more types of dice rolls to TFT, with the D3 now being a thing. (I've used ½D6 rolls myself for certain things in my TFT campaigns.) And if that comes about, them more dice choices are indeed welcome. ^_^
Old 10-20-2019, 01:33 PM   #19
ParadoxGames

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyPlenty View Post
I like the d3/d12 just for the fact that old school gaming generally needs weird dice. :) I would like to see d8/d4 or d8/d2 in this similar style (the same font).
Maybe a d12/d4/d2 would be an idea: It's a d12 dodecahedren with pips 1 through 4 printed 3 times, and the pips are in light or dark ink. Light/dark would be the d2 option.

That reminds me: I haven't heard from the megahex dice in a while.
Old 10-26-2019, 08:50 AM   #20
larsdangly

d12 is clearly the best of the goofy dice. When I was a kid I wrote a fantasy heart-breaker system entirely around the idea that it is preferable to roll 1d12 whenever possible.
Closed Thread