Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-15-2019, 05:44 AM   #21
Tywyll

Default Re: advice for Oriental characters in Melee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcro View Post
I'm sorry to hear that you had to suffer as well, it was devastating news- she's my best friend.
the good news is she is cancer free now, we had awesome surgeons and staff here at University of Pittsburgh and they caught it early, she's a nurse so she knew something was wrong and she had pain which is unusual with pancreatic cancer, but the pain saved her life. she was stage 2 when it was discovered. I've been ill for about 10 years as well, so it really changed our lives. and we live one day at a time.
our hearts go out to anyone fighting cancer or supporting a loved one with it.
I'm really glad to hear that. You guys are so lucky. My mom was diagnosed with type 4 pancreatic cancer when my little girl was just 6 months old. She fought it for 32 months, mostly due to her granddaughter I think. She passed away in 2016. In October of last year, my brother who is only 4 years older than me, was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer. He's on a new chemo now and has made it almost 9 months, which is great considering.

Needless to say, it scares the crap out of me. Luckily I'm in a study that will see me screened at least once a year for at least the next 10 years.
Tywyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:47 AM   #22
Stormcro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tywyll View Post
I'm really glad to hear that. You guys are so lucky. My mom was diagnosed with type 4 pancreatic cancer when my little girl was just 6 months old. She fought it for 32 months, mostly due to her granddaughter I think. She passed away in 2016. In October of last year, my brother who is only 4 years older than me, was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer. He's on a new chemo now and has made it almost 9 months, which is great considering.

Needless to say, it scares the crap out of me. Luckily I'm in a study that will see me screened at least once a year for at least the next 10 years.
I'm very sorry to hear of your mom's cancer and your loss of her as well. and I hope your brother beats it as well. the thing with pancreatic cancer is that it's difficult to detect - it didn't show up on my wife's bloodwork they had to actually go in and take a sample. the first hospital thought it was pancreatitis and thought she had some build up in the duct ( I think the doctor just wrote it off because she was only 50 years of age at the time and the cancer usually doesn't hit women at that age, but after about 2 weeks of waiting for it to heal ( we went to UPMC ) and they found it and began treatment with that new chemo actually it's old but they found that this medication worked really well on pancreatic (my wife wasn't diabetic or a drinker) so pancreatitis shouldn't have been an issue. the chemo really beat her up and she's a tough woman,but it still ground her down.plus she had Whipple robotic surgery too.
tell your brother to fight as hard as possible there is hope ! I've met about 10 people who has survived and from stage 4 too here in Pittsburgh! the one dude I talked to is back out hunting and fishing -doing all the things he did before, tell your brother this! one thing I wonder is why are we hearing so much now it used to be a fairly rare form.... best wishes and prayers !
Stormcro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:37 PM   #23
JLV

Quote:
I'm sorry to hear that you had to suffer as well, it was devastating news- she's my best friend.
the good news is she is cancer free now, we had awesome surgeons and staff here at University of Pittsburgh and they caught it early, she's a nurse so she knew something was wrong and she had pain which is unusual with pancreatic cancer, but the pain saved her life. she was stage 2 when it was discovered. I've been ill for about 10 years as well, so it really changed our lives. and we live one day at a time.
our hearts go out to anyone fighting cancer or supporting a loved one with it.
That is GREAT news! I'm very happy for you both!

Honestly, I think I actually had it easier than my friends and family did -- they were scared to death, but I was the one actually experiencing it, so I knew exactly what was going on. When you're WITNESSING it, you feel so helpless -- at least I had a sense that I could control some aspects of my treatment. I've been cancer free now for seven years (knock on wood), and we seem to be doing a lot better on getting people into remission than we were even twenty years ago.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 02:11 PM   #24
KevinJ

Quote:
My Kids bought me the new Melee-Wizard Pocketbox , so I can retire my very beat up 40 year old sets. anyway we've been trying new characters with Oriental settings in mind. I was wondering if anyone has done the same. for example Samurai/Ronin versus Oni (demon) monsters and dragons? thinking of adding Wizard into the mix too, but I'm not sure on how to spec a Katana for my Samurai ( I've been using the standard 'bastard sword' as a Katana being that its mostly a shorter sword for two handed 1d6 and give it a +1.
then Armour for a Samurai is supposed to be very light and doesn't interfere with movement as much as European type of armour.
My son (23 now) and daughter (9) and I love the Okko Comic books and the whole Oriental settings. and this is what we are aiming for. I'd like to make a setting to play this setting in Cidri for In The Labyrinth. wondering if anyone has any specs for Oriental characters,weapons etc. thank you for reading.
For me, the world itself is more important that the nit picky mechanics.

However, for the Katana I would go with a broadsword with a long handle so you can use it two-handed with a 1+ damage for using it two handed. And a Bastard sword. And a full on two handed sword (No-Dachi). Jian is just a broadsword. Dao is a broadsword. I like the Kusari-Gama getting whip treatment, but you might allow a DX check to avoid entanglement and a ST check to resist being manhandled by the Kusari user. It's really up to you to select which weapons are allowed and which 'just don't exist in this setting.

You can find weights for period armors online and assigning the appropriate defensive value is up to your interpretation.

Don't be shy with giving the player Fine weapons and armor in the setting. You could also mage 'blessed weapons' the most simple form of magic weapons. "Onimusha can only ge harmed by a blade blessed as the shrink in fukihara." is the kind of thing that helps defeat X monster without giving the players enchanted weapons with permanent bonuses. There is nothing wrong with enchanted weapons, but in an Asian themed game they seem very rare. As are monsters that can only be harmed by enchanted weapons.

I have most of the Usagi Yujimbo Graphic Novel collection (And the actual UY RPG) and it is mostly normal foes and monsters that are killed with normal weapons, with a few foes who need special circumstances to be defeated.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:14 PM   #25
Stormcro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
For me, the world itself is more important that the nit picky mechanics.

However, for the Katana I would go with a broadsword with a long handle so you can use it two-handed with a 1+ damage for using it two handed. And a Bastard sword. And a full on two handed sword (No-Dachi). Jian is just a broadsword. Dao is a broadsword. I like the Kusari-Gama getting whip treatment, but you might allow a DX check to avoid entanglement and a ST check to resist being manhandled by the Kusari user. It's really up to you to select which weapons are allowed and which 'just don't exist in this setting.

You can find weights for period armors online and assigning the appropriate defensive value is up to your interpretation.

Don't be shy with giving the player Fine weapons and armor in the setting. You could also mage 'blessed weapons' the most simple form of magic weapons. "Onimusha can only ge harmed by a blade blessed as the shrink in fukihara." is the kind of thing that helps defeat X monster without giving the players enchanted weapons with permanent bonuses. There is nothing wrong with enchanted weapons, but in an Asian themed game they seem very rare. As are monsters that can only be harmed by enchanted weapons.

I have most of the Usagi Yujimbo Graphic Novel collection (And the actual UY RPG) and it is mostly normal foes and monsters that are killed with normal weapons, with a few foes who need special circumstances to be defeated.
I feel the same way about getting the world the way I want it to feel, I play tested some today by myself, with my new hex battle mat and a few minis and put the weapons to the test. I like the idea of having the weapon blessed for a one time event to make a battle really epic.
I'm doing something along the Okko Graphic Novels story but not spot on. I like the idea of having Ronin driving off on their own plight against demonic Oni and oni bushi or possessed corrupt samurai - driven by greed of power given by the Oni , to ensnare villages and temples , having the Demon Hunters hunt down and clean out these villages etc. that way I can use Wizard as well and keep it Oriental but leaning hard into fantasy.
it's a totally different story line for me, and I'd like to see it played out. I just want to get some of the weapons correct. my son and daughter are excited about playing . I've got a ton of work to do yet. we also love , LOVE the movie Forbidden Kingdom, set in China with Gung Fu and Magical Chi , so many ways I can run with this. but afraid it will be piecemeal -just combat for right now, until I can write out the world story.
Stormcro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 10:39 AM   #26
KevinJ

Quote:
I'm doing something along the Okko Graphic Novels story but not spot on. I like the idea of having Ronin driving off on their own plight against demonic Oni and oni bushi or possessed corrupt samurai - driven by greed of power given by the Oni , to ensnare villages and temples , having the Demon Hunters hunt down and clean out these villages etc. that way I can use Wizard as well and keep it Oriental but leaning hard into fantasy.
it's a totally different story line for me, and I'd like to see it played out. I just want to get some of the weapons correct. my son and daughter are excited about playing . I've got a ton of work to do yet. we also love , LOVE the movie Forbidden Kingdom, set in China with Gung Fu and Magical Chi , so many ways I can run with this. but afraid it will be piecemeal -just combat for right now, until I can write out the world story.
That sounds like a fun game.

You might need to invent more spells for your magical feel. I stole spells from other games that looked interesting, and just put them where I felt they belonged on the IQ scale while giving them costs appropriate to the effect. I also tweaked some spells and increased the IQ requirement for the new version. One thing ITL lacks is 'mundane' spells with little or no use in combat.