Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 05-08-2020, 01:12 PM   #1
RobW

Default Death Test 2 Fighter Table

My first go at LE Death Test 2. Problem at first encounter.

The original Death Test 2 fighter table: roll 2D+5 for each attribute. If total=7 increase to 8

The new Death Test 2 fighter table: roll 2D+5 for each attribute. If total=7 increase to 8; but if total > 13, reduce to 13

That means none of these scary weapons: battleaxes, claymores, pike axes

Further down, armor: Roll 1D. If it's a 6, the figure has plate armor. "However, if a figure gets armor reducing adjDX below 8, roll again." Sensible, but since DX is maxed at 13, the table can't generate a figure with plate armor.

Am I reading this wrong?
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 02:04 PM   #2
Celjabba

Default Re: Death Test 2 Fighter Table

A DX 13 fighter could wear one
Celjabba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 04:18 PM   #3
hcobb

Neo TFT plate is 5/-5 so DX 13 plus plate = DX 8.
Old 05-08-2020, 08:52 PM   #4
Axly Suregrip

Interesting. So now the fighters have an average attribute of 11.47 (reduced from 12.03). So basically DT2 fighters used to have 36 points and now they have 34.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 11:08 PM   #5
Skarg

I think the 13 cap makes sense for IQ, but not for ST or DX.

I suspect the idea was to limit the max attribute total to 39, which would make sense given the new XP rules, but that could be accomplished by saying that if the total is over 39, reduce attributes until you get down to 39, starting with reducing IQ down (no lower than 8).
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 05:46 AM   #6
RobW

Ah thanks for the correction, shows how much we use heavy armour in our game. I think Skarg is right re the purpose of this change, but has Axly points out it is making these already generally bizarre fighters even weaker.

The most sensible thing is probably to use DoD cards. But for this run I'm going to give the current table a try, and spend time to provide fighting talents (something I don't generally do for death test).
Old 05-09-2020, 08:29 AM   #7
hcobb

Somebody ought to make an online thug squad generator.

https://www.hcobb.com/tft/rand_squad...&group=B&wiz=0
Old 05-13-2020, 09:01 PM   #8
Axly Suregrip

It seems the DT2 Fighter generator is more than a bit off.

Both the old and new DT2 fighter generators seem odd in that they allow for ST or DX of a FIGHTER to be 8. Yes I know you may have a human fighter with ST16 DX8 IQ8, or worse with a dwarf. But it is rare that anyone would take that or it would not survive long. That is, both systems can generate fighters with a DX or ST of 8, that pretty much is a useless mess of an experienced fighter.

Next the old system made allowed for fighter of IQ as high as 17. This would be rare indeed in a fighter. With the new system the IQ max is 13 but since the DX max is also 13, this fighter cannot know the Master Weapon/Fencer skills. So really no likely reason for a fighter to go past IQ11. (other than adventuring saving rolls).

And let's say they were trying to stay at or below 40 total attribute points, as a limit. This will restrict us from having a high maximum value on each attribute, so we are forced to cap values. Max ST=15 gets most weapons. Max IQ=11 gets useful fighter skills (since Master level was unavailable). That leaves us wtih a Max DX of 14.

One more thing to take into consideration. With both the old and new DT2 fighter generators you may roll low for both ST and DX leaving you with a very easy foe. You could get a ST8 DX8 fighter.

That gives us the following targets:

- Total Attributes 40 or less
- ST range 9-15 to cover most of the weapons, and most likely ST range
- DX range 9-14 (but really this will be 9-17 by increasing the range if ST is low)
- IQ range 8-11 to be like most common fighters, including some skilled ones.

I propose the following for DT2 fighter generator:

If the roll for any attribute is below the minimum or over the maximum, then change it accordingly.

ST= 2d6+6, minimum=9, maximum=15. (Average=12.75)

DX= 1d6+8. no min or max needed. For every point ST is below 12, at +1 to DX. Thus +0 to +3 more. (Average=12)

IQ= 1d6+5, minimum=8. (Average=9)

Advantages:
This never gives you a fighter with over 40 points & average of 34. It never gives you a fighter with ST or DX of 8. It will give you a dumb fighter with IQ=8 half the time. And it will never give you a fighter with IQ over 11. ST+DX will average 25 with it sum never going below 21. Much better than ST+DX low of 16.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 06:03 AM   #9
Shostak

Nic suggestion, Axly. I'm going to try this in my next run of the DTs.
Shostak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 07:16 AM   #10
RobW

This is a nice approach Axly

For possible interest, here are the fighters I rolled in my recent DT2 run. This is using the "official" 2d+5 (max=13, min=8) total for each attribute.

F1: ST9 DX13 (10/13); IQ13 (missile III); small bow, chain
F2: ST10; DX11 (9/12); IQ11; horse bow, leather; missile III, running
F3: ST13 DX12 IQ12; halberd; pole expertise, running, toughness
F4: ST13 DX10 (9) IQ11; morningstar, large shield (expertise); running, toughness
F5: ST13 DX13 (12) IQ12; halberd, cloth; toughness, pole expertise, running
F6: ST8 DX13 (12) IQ13; dagger, cloth; dagger expertise, running
F7: ST13 DX12 (10) IQ8; halberd, leather, running

The frequency of IQ12+ in the new DT2 is evident. For IQ12+ I would adjust the armor roll, so that if the figure also had DX12+, they kept it there. That way they could be weapon experts, which only makes sense for such high IQ fighters.

As a group these fighters were more scary than I had expected.