Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-22-2010, 08:28 PM   #1
Michael Lewis

Default [DF] GM advice: Druid spell list

The other day I was trying to help 4 new players to the GURPS system make DF characters. I forgot how druids use a different spell list and had the player create his spell list by having to choose prerequisite spells like a mage would. He's from a D&D background and loves to do the shapeshifting to an animal spell. This requires only something like four other spells as a requirement. Looking at DF, he would have to have Power investiture 4 to be able to use this spell.

What should I do? Make him create his spell list from scratch and make him buy another 2 levels of Power Investiture which will cost him 20 more points?

Is the prerequisites vs. the Power investiture a balance type of thing? I want to make him happy but not unbalance the system.
Michael Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:36 PM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: [DF] GM advice: Druid spell list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Lewis View Post
What should I do? Make him create his spell list from scratch and make him buy another 2 levels of Power Investiture which will cost him 20 more points?
Did you use the Druid Template? If so it's perfectly possible to start with Shapeshift.

Quote:
Is the prerequisites vs. the Power investiture a balance type of thing? I want to make him happy but not unbalance the system.
It's a "flavor" thing to make Wizards different from other casters, mostly.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:25 AM   #3
Bruno

I wouldn't worry about having made his character up with prerequisites instead - it won't "hurt" anything, and if he stuck mainly to Animal, Plant, and Weather spells he'll have his influence in-game the way people expect a druid.

Using Power Investiture prerequisites is an alternative to the spell prerequisites system, and as such is considered "equal" from a balance perspective, so you could use either.

Don't forget though, the extra levels of Power Investiture will increase all his spell skill levels - which will really help offset the penalty that Druids face in non-wilderness areas, and may allow him to trade in some IQ if he bought that up to get his spell skill levels up.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:40 AM   #4
Michael Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Did you use the Druid Template? If so it's perfectly possible to start with Shapeshift.
Not really; we started with the lower 150 pt. character template.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:44 AM   #5
Michael Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I wouldn't worry about having made his character up with prerequisites instead - it won't "hurt" anything, and if he stuck mainly to Animal, Plant, and Weather spells he'll have his influence in-game the way people expect a druid.
He mainly choose animal and earth college spells which I thought were appropriate enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Using Power Investiture prerequisites is an alternative to the spell prerequisites system, and as such is considered "equal" from a balance perspective, so you could use either.
So should I charge him another 5 pts for Magery 0, or does the Druidic penalties that you mentioned offset that?