Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Old 06-21-2006, 06:32 AM   #21
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: Report To The Stakeholders

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxxtrot
Mr Jackson said that he was just waiting for last years books to close so he could include that information. He said it should be "any day now" a week or so ago. I figure we'll see it by June. ;)
Wow. Good call.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 09:57 AM   #22
Almafeta

Board games are in the works? Interesting... and the news that they are 'bigger' games is very good. And board games are something that you can't really offer in PDF format, so 'dead tree' stores should have less to worry about.

I'm glad to hear that the foreign language versions of GURPS Lite are finally coming through. And of course, I hope that when SJ says "fewer than a half-dozen have finished," he means "5"... ^^;

I'm curious about that interpretation of the collectable card game business. With the exception of Yu-Gi-Oh, which seems to be collected by pre-9-year-old-girls to the exclusion of play (and with that game's balance, that's a blessing), most games, even the 'kiddie' ones, see their most dedicated customers in the 16-to-30 male crowd in my local area. And the anime market and the roleplaying market are overlapping, thanks to RPG-based anime series like Dot Hack and anime-based RPGs like Exalted. But then again, that's what I'm seeing in my area, and I don't have access to hard figures about the market in general.

One question I have: Almost all of the best-selling products on e23 seem to be first-party. How are third-party products doing on e23?
Almafeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 10:20 AM   #23
GoodGame

Location: Video games destroyed my life. Good that I have 2 extra lives!

Me crystal ball is envisioning a Euro-style, GURPS Powers-inspired superheros or Infinite Worlds board game which includes lots of cardboard miniatures and some playing card mechanisms. The new Talisman.
GoodGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 10:35 AM   #24
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodGame
Me crystal ball is envisioning a Euro-style, GURPS Powers-inspired superheros or Infinite Worlds board game which includes lots of cardboard miniatures and some playing card mechanisms. The new Talisman.
Well, there already is Strange Synergy.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 02:01 PM   #25
RelFexive

Informative and interesting. Thanks, Mr J.

"My God - you're like a trained ape. Without the training."

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."
RelFexive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 03:59 PM   #26
GoodGame

Location: Video games destroyed my life. Good that I have 2 extra lives!

I forgot about that one. Perhaps start with that as the base (build supers by cards), but throw in a track board a la Talisman. For the Euro-theme, as painted wooden blocks, tile-placement, and victory points. Perhaps the board is made from geo-morphic tiles, placed by the players as the game progresses. Board squares represent physical locations of the players's teams, adventures, and strategic places. The wood blocks represent spheres of influence captured on the board squares.
Players conflict using their card powers against each other for control of squares, or vs. the programmed events at the board squares (e.g. land on Go, and fight a battle to collect $200)

Scoring is by trading in wood blocks at the end of each turn. Victory decided by final score at turn x.

Sounds like a mega-board game to me in the SJG vein.

Alternatively----UBER-Munchkin. Munchkin with the added thrill of a Monopoly type track board, with a Talisman-type adventure board in the center. Players 'level-up' in the Monopoly track to clear easy dungeons, claim real-estate, and develop the property (luxury hotels, castles, fiefs), reaping special resources (a la Euro-style colored wood blocks) used to purchase items and powers from special decks not available in the main Munchkin deck. <Charge your fellow munchkins rent, or have your slavish minions build super munchkin items>
Throw in cardboard heroes to traverse the deck, and enter the Talisman-style central board to defeat the randomally drawn evil badie and win the game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding
Well, there already is Strange Synergy.
Quote:
GoodGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 05:40 PM   #27
Almafeta

Quote:
Munchkin with the added thrill of a Monopoly type track board, with a Talisman-type adventure board in the center. Players 'level-up' in the Monopoly track to clear easy dungeons, claim real-estate, and develop the property (luxury hotels, castles, fiefs), reaping special resources (a la Euro-style colored wood blocks) used to purchase items and powers from special decks not available in the main Munchkin deck.
Or Age of Empires/Civilization meets Munchkin... King Munchkin? "Kill your ally, sack their capitals." Expansions could be 'side boards' with their own decks of themed cards.
Almafeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 06:45 PM   #28
brehaut

I believe when Paul The Marketing Chap was interviewed on Have Games Will Travel at one of the cons near the end of last year or maybe early this year, he mentioned something about the possibility of a munchkin style euro-game. I could of course be completely pulling this out of my donkey but dont have the podcasts here at work check...
brehaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 07:18 PM   #29
jspade

Steve, thanks again for your transparency. It makes your company feel like our team.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:18 PM   #30
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by brehaut
I believe when Paul The Marketing Chap was interviewed on Have Games Will Travel at one of the cons near the end of last year or maybe early this year, he mentioned something about the possibility of a munchkin style euro-game. I could of course be completely pulling this out of my donkey but dont have the podcasts here at work check...
Be gentle with that donkey.

It wasn't me. It was Paul Tevis who does Have Games Will Travel, and it was Ross Jepson (Director of Sales) who mentioned a "Speil style" Munchkin board game.