Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 10-12-2014, 11:12 AM   #1
Captain Joy

Default Car Wars 6th ed. Speculation

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenmp View Post
The SJ Games Car Wars Web site has been given some new bodywork and a new paint scheme.

SJ Games - Car Wars Official Web Site
http://www.sjgames.com/car-wars
I couldn't help but notice a teaser for Car Wars 6th ed. Any ideas on what changes are expected?

Personally, I would like to see them go to hex maps, primarily to make it easier to import Car Wars vehicular combat rules into GURPS campaigns.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 01:11 PM   #2
woodchuck

Default Re: Car Wars 6th ed. Speculation

No real idea on how the game will be changed. We'll have to wait for official word from SJ Games. Hex grid movement would be unlikely.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:43 AM   #3
swordtart

Hex grid would be nice as the bends would all fit nicely.

But with a properly configured turning key and heavy counters, you don't need a grid at all. Hex grids also don't lend themselves to neat urban terrain as a rectangular building is generally not going to align. If your collision rules are by square rather then making actual contact between the graphics (even the current rules use the counter boundaries - though it hints that you should take the size of the vehicle into account).
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:28 AM   #4
Squeaker

Has it been confirmed it will be another kickstarter or other crowd-funding based startup?
Squeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:54 AM   #5
juris

If 6e is GURPS I'm out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
I couldn't help but notice a teaser for Car Wars 6th ed. Any ideas on what changes are expected?

Personally, I would like to see them go to hex maps, primarily to make it easier to import Car Wars vehicular combat rules into GURPS campaigns.
juris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:30 AM   #6
Magesmiley

It has been stated in many places that the new edition of Car Wars is going to get a Kickstarter campaign to launch it. By Phil and Steve, in particular.

I think that a hex grid would be a dark horse. Personally, I think that it won't have a grid at all. You can make nicer looking battlefields without them.

There will be cars. There will be guns. We will be able to design cars with guns.

Beyond that? Anything could happen.

A couple of my personal predictions:

1. I think that the gameplay will be faster - it almost has to be based on current trends in games. People expect faster games than 20-30 years ago.

2. I'm going to guess that it will use counters once again. Not the old-school cut them out style, but heavier die-cut counters like CWC uses. Again there are industry trends, and for components this points towards higher quality components.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 02:50 PM   #7
sdharing

There's a thread further down this board that covers all this territory, called "Car Wars 6e Effort." Check that out and see if it answers your questions. If not, you can always come back here and ask.
sdharing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
car wars, car wars 6th edition, combat rules, speculation, vehicle design system