Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-14-2010, 01:14 PM   #31
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Low Tech 4e Errata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
It isn't clear, which is why I asked, there is nothing in the text which indicated there isn't a table for Helmets and Neck Protection, since I spent a few minutes looking for said table, I asked if it was errata.

Telling us that we don't need a table isn't really a good way to answer the question of whether or not a missing table accidentally got dropped out of the print run as errata, or is purposefully omitted for space.
I'm still trying to grok what you you think these tables should look like? How could you make an individual entry for each item? There's over a thousand possible combinations.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:21 PM   #32
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post

I'm still trying to grok what you you think these tables should look like? How could you make an individual entry for each item? There's over a thousand possible combinations.
To be fair, I'm sure that with editorial and production tricks, and lots of extra columns and footnotes, we could create fine-print tables that include every possibility, but these would be complex and space-consuming. Thus, we bet that most people would prefer multiplying a weight and a cost from a short, simple table by a number like 0.1 or 0.25 to being asked to cross-index the result on a chapter-length table and then consult a two-page spread of footnotes and exceptions.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:28 PM   #33
Diomedes

Default Re: GURPS Low-Tech

Trying to puzzle this out: on the armor table, is there any way to get full protection for, say, the upper arm, without buying armor for the entire arm?
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:35 PM   #34
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
It is clear that no table was intended because there is no reference to a table, contrary to every place where we do have a table. Instead, you are expressly told that you will be given a percentage to use with the [I]Armor Table.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
No, I expect there to be a table with one line entry for a Bascinet, one for a Pot Helm, one for a Coif, one for a Greathelm, etc.

The fact that you can have variations on them is not the point, someone coming to a low-tech book wants to choose equipment like helmets and look at how they stack against other helmets in order, which is what you do with a table.

No one expects to see a table with 6 different types of Coifs listed, but they do expect to see a table with a Coif listed next to a Pot Helm and such.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:36 PM   #35
Fish

You mean ... short-sleeved armor?
Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:47 PM   #36
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diomedes View Post

Trying to puzzle this out: on the armor table, is there any way to get full protection for, say, the upper arm, without buying armor for the entire arm?
Yep. Apply the 10% listed for "Upper Arms" on p. 100 to the desired armor type on pp. 110-111. For one arm, halve this. This gives full protection for the upper arm. Of course, that's only hit on a "5" on 1d on an arm shot. On 1-3, an arm blow hits the forearm; on a 4, the elbow; and on a 6, the shoulder.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:53 PM   #37
Diomedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Yep. Apply the 10% listed for "Upper Arms" on p. 100 to the desired armor type on pp. 110-111. For one arm, halve this. This gives full protection for the upper arm. Of course, that's only hit on a "5" on 1d on an arm shot. On 1-3, an arm blow hits the forearm; on a 4, the elbow; and on a 6, the shoulder.
Ah. I was thinking that the die rolls amounted to hitting the armor or the body under, not hitting a different sub-location.
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:53 PM   #38
Kalzazz

Are there fastdraw scabbards?
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:56 PM   #39
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
No, I expect there to be a table with one line entry for a Bascinet, one for a Pot Helm, one for a Coif, one for a Greathelm, etc.

The fact that you can have variations on them is not the point, someone coming to a low-tech book wants to choose equipment like helmets and look at how they stack against other helmets in order, which is what you do with a table.

No one expects to see a table with 6 different types of Coifs listed, but they do expect to see a table with a Coif listed next to a Pot Helm and such.
That was the other structure that we considered: List every possible shape of armor in a single table, and then say "x% for bronze, y% for leather, z% for bamboo slats, w% for silk" and so on for all the materials. It would have been exactly as complex to use: look up a table entry, and multiply by a percentage. The consensus of the playtesters was that the form we ended up with was slightly less annoying. I didn't much care, personally; I just thought we clearly couldn't have an entry for every single type of armor piece made of every possible material.

Your tastes are in the minority on this point.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:59 PM   #40
Stripe

Oh my God...

Oh my God...

OH MY FREAKING GAWD IT'S OUT!!! IT'S REALLY OUT!!! YEEEAAAHHH!!! WOOOHOOO!!!

When I first saw this thread, I was like, "Who the heck started another Low-Tech thread." Didn't notice it was Kromm. Then, I was like, "Why is it four pages long?"

Then I was like... O_O

Downloaded but not yet opened.
if I can't say 'I'm chaotic evil!'"? —Jeff Freeman
Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
agriculture, cabaret chicks on ice, low tech