Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-11-2010, 12:09 PM   #11
Icelander

Default Re: What is the new Low Tech like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Please be warned that we can't promise art for every item of tech or even a good percentage of artifacts. We always request many times more art suggestions than we could ever use, because a certain percentage of these inevitably won't work with the book's visual style, while those that remain are subject to being wedged in as layout permits . . . and visual style and layout are concerns addressed months after we request art suggestions from the writers. From what I've seen, while Low-Tech will have a clean, easy-to-use layout, it will definitely be text-heavy and art-light.
Fair, fair.

I do think, though, that illustrations of armour types might enhance the value of the book for those gamers who do not possess Dan Howard's encyclopedic knowledge of the subject*, but nevertheless would like** to be able to visualise their characters in the gear that they may spend most of their day wearing.

*I.e. most of them.
**A fair proportion, I should imagine.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:10 PM   #12
Anders

It will also cure cancer, bring about world peace and allow an englishman to win Wimbledon.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:13 PM   #13
Anaraxes

Now just hold on there. When was tennis invented? Sure, there's that line in Henry V, but early forms were more like handball and racquetball. Wimbledon itself only goes back to 1877. Low-Tech is all powerful, sure, but only within the scope of its Word.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:16 PM   #14
Ragitsu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg_ambro View Post
Are there any other differences or points of note that I haven't asked?
Whether or not it includes batteries.

Just kidding.
Ragitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:27 PM   #15
Gudiomen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
It will also cure cancer, bring about world peace and allow an englishman to win Wimbledon.
I guess that makes it Miss Cabaret Chicks on Ice. Ooh, we should have that contest!
Gudiomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:40 PM   #16
Jamaraq

This is the first time for me that I'm really anticipating the release of a gaming book.
I've had this feeling before (with certain movies, novels and even computer games), but never with an RPG book before.

If the past tech books are any indication, I know I won't be disappointed :D.
Jamaraq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:21 PM   #17
SuedodeuS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragitsu View Post
Whether or not it includes batteries.
You never know.

As for how the equipment looks, any possibility of a PDF consisting of basically an image gallery of the various artifacts? It might be useful when someone is trying to figure out what their character with a leather cuirass, mail gauntlets, and plate greaves looks like.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:31 PM   #18
DanHoward

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuedodeuS View Post
The so-called Bagdad battery definitely won't be in Low Tech. The technology might belong in a book about Fantasy or Speculative tech but the original object definitely was not used to generate electricity.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:48 PM   #19
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
The so-called Bagdad battery definitely won't be in Low Tech. The technology might belong in a book about Fantasy or Speculative tech but the original object definitely was not used to generate electricity.
Funny thing, that was the same thing I was planning to say. I really did look for a justification for putting it in as TL(2+1), but the actual descriptions of its construction totally failed to support even a speculative "battery" interpretation; there was no way I could make it a might-have-been.

On the other hand, I do have the use of the torpedo for electrical therapy. . . .

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:00 PM   #20
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Please be warned that we can't promise art for every item of tech or even a good percentage of artifacts. We always request many times more art suggestions than we could ever use, because a certain percentage of these inevitably won't work with the book's visual style, while those that remain are subject to being wedged in as layout permits . . . and visual style and layout are concerns addressed months after we request art suggestions from the writers. From what I've seen, while Low-Tech will have a clean, easy-to-use layout, it will definitely be text-heavy and art-light.
Will the bibliography reference some art books and/or websites that will have some of the art that doesn't get used?
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabaret chicks on ice, low-tech