Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 02-16-2020, 04:38 PM   #1551
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Default Re: Memorable Quotes.

Taelor: “It’s like Showgirls, just without the good bits.”
<beat>
GM (visibly shudders): “Uugghh.”

--

Ruby: “[Officer Jones] can have a modified baseball bat.”
GM: “By modified, you mean Wiffle?”
Ruby: “He can have a Nerf one.”

--

GM: “The girl does not accidentally fire the shotgun.”
Remy (OOC): “She’s one up on Jones.”

--

Oren: “It appears to be an invasion of dinosaurs.”
Nick: “Those words shouldn’t go together.”

--

GM: “You can call it a smoker—we call it a gas chamber.”
Remy (OOC): “That’s a warcrime.”

--

GM: “You hear something spastic come through on the radio.”
Ruby: “Can I tell which radio?”
GM: “Well, you only know one spastic.”

--

Ruby: “Follow the scent of crazy. Find your crazy mommy.”

--

Kay: “Hey, [Allosaurus], you got raptors on your face.”

--

Remy: “I was reachin’ into this bag of Molotov cocktails, but apparently, I’m just gunna take a swig.”

--

Kay: “These are vicious, chewing chickens.”

--

Remy (OOC): “You dive through a window to discover it’s painted on.”

--

GM: “Kay has taken no damage from the hostiles, and only damage from her own actions.”
Ruby: “It’s called ‘consequences.’”

--

Oren (OOC): “And how did Kay die? Was it from some crazy dino? No, it was getting stuck under a vending machine.”

--

Dr. Meyers (OOC): “Saved, from certain death by vending machine, by a velociraptor.”

--

Ruby (OOC): “I’m going to the bathroom—let me know if anyone dies in a hilarious way.”

--

Kay: “I’m going to head back to Target, get myself some ice cream, lie down and go to bed.”

--

Kay (OOC): “I have a horrible question: does anyone else see, in this map, a boob with a tumor?”
Ruby (OOC): “We’re in Mammogram-Hatten.”

--

Right after I posted, Ruby's player said this:
"Of all the ways I thought Kay would get injured with what was going on, that vending machine came out of left field."

Last edited by Mark Skarr; 02-16-2020 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Post-Credits quote
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 06:06 PM   #1552
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Player 1: "Can I use Professional Skill (Torturer) to prevent him from concentrating well enough to perform a ritual, but without increasing the risk of death beyond his [already horrific] wounds?"
GM: "Yes. That is in fact a very reasonable use of the skill."
Player 1: "I roll a ten."
GM: "That's a success by 10. You win the Quick Contest and the long-suffering 'Saucy Jack' writhes in torment and tries to scream, but only succeeds in swallowing a lot of water, as you carve thin slices from his face."
Player 2: "Should I be concerned at how high your skill at torturing people is?"
Player 1: "This is not even my Final Form."
I'm guessing this was Lacoste, but I'm hoping it was Alice. Something about a normally-shy young woman carving up a fellow with some claimed link to Jack the Ripper strikes me as hilarious.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:05 PM   #1553
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
I'm guessing this was Lacoste, but I'm hoping it was Alice. Something about a normally-shy young woman carving up a fellow with some claimed link to Jack the Ripper strikes me as hilarious.
Lacoste has no skill for torture and, indeed, would probably never do something like that. He's violent, sure, but he's forthrightly, straightforwardly violent; without rancor or malice. He might beat someone up or bully them into ******* themselves, but he'd never torture. The distinction might be lost on someone very opposed to all violence and intimidation, but it's very clear to Lacoste.

It was indeed little Alice who tortured Saucy Jack.

Well, a case might be made that someone, or rather, Something, else was truly responsible, but that depends on your opinion on who bears the ultimate responsibility for the actions of a body under the influence or control of a spirit in a case where the person in question knowingly allowed that entity to take control.

Personally, I'm inclined to reason by analogy from cases where someone knowingly takes mind-altering substances and under their influence commits horrific crimes they claim would never have occurred without the mind-altering substances. Maybe so, but they chose to risk those consequences and are at the very least at fault for negligently contributing to the creation of circumstances where those crimes occurred.

Of course, in Alice's case, there was no question of mere negligence. She was fully aware of the likely consequences; murder, torture and all. However, she made her choices based on her best judgment of the situation, weighing the consequences of her available choices. Ultimately, she calculated that the harm of not acting at all would be greater than the harm inherent in allowing the Entity any measure of freedom.
Old 02-22-2020, 11:23 AM   #1554
johndallman
Night Watchman

From the occult WWII campaign today:

PC: "I think I'm the only one with Medium and Interrogation skill?"

Later:

GM: "That's, ah, 42,000 tons of gold. Everyone with Economics skill, make a fright check."

PC: "I'm really glad I paid off my Greed disadvantage!"

Last edited by johndallman; 02-22-2020 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Spelling
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 03:43 PM   #1555
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
GM: "That's, ah, 42,000 tons of gold. Everyone with Economics skill, make a fright check."
£5,727,275,330 11/7

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 05:38 PM   #1556
dcarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
From the occult WWII campaign today:

PC: "I'm really glad I paid off my Greed disadvantage!"
That's about 50% of the total we have today. If the one reference to how much gold was mined from 1900-1976 is accurate and we assume that the amount per year is even and extrapolate it is about that total that was around during WW II. So a definite fright check.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 03:35 PM   #1557
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
That's about 50% of the total we have today. If the one reference to how much gold was mined from 1900-1976 is accurate and we assume that the amount per year is even and extrapolate it is about that total that was around during WW II. So a definite fright check.
I ran a high fantasy adventure in about 1989 that involved the PCs coming upon a dragon (that was to the "large dragon" in the rules what the large dragon is to a medium dragon) asleep on a conical pile of gold and jools five metres high and ten in base radius.

The fright check organised itself.

Eventually — half a campaign later — the survivors and resurrectees discovered that the dragon, being vain, had stacked his treasure with the axe-heads, iron ingots, and bronze tripods in the middle, then the arms and bronze vessels, then the silver bullion bars and specie, then wrought vessels of silver and gold, and finally a sprinkle of gemstones, jewels, and works of art and vertu.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.

Last edited by Agemegos; 02-23-2020 at 03:39 PM.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 03:44 AM   #1558
seaweedbrain

"No, threatening to give the suspect's toddler a red bull and a kitten is not a valid interrogation method."
Old 02-28-2020, 10:32 AM   #1559
Koshka

The player characters were trailing a group of wannabe Big Game Hunters when said wannabes were ambushed by several rakshasa in their half-human/half-tiger forms ... and one of them spots the PCs.

Player 1: What are their weaknesses?
Player 2: Laser pointers?
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 05:28 PM   #1560
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaweedbrain View Post
"No, threatening to give the suspect's toddler a red bull and a kitten is not a valid interrogation method."
That reminds me of a sign on the cubicle of a colleague, three employers back.

"Unattended children will be given candy, soda, and a free puppy!"
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
actual play, funny