Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Old 02-22-2006, 12:17 AM   #71
Luther
Grim Reaper

Default Re: [PURE THEORY] Low-Tech vs Fantasy-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding
Yes, I did. I'm just being overly excitable today I guess. Sorry. Luther got me all worked up. :)
Hey!!! ;-P

God of the Cult of Stat Normalization
Luther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 01:55 AM   #72
DrTemp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luther
Kromm,

the old Low-Tech isn't a gear catalog (weapons, armors, tools, equipment, vehicles). It has a lot of useful information about environment, technologies, society, learning, warfare and transportation. I want the new book to expand upon these things.
[...]
Agreed, but, thinking about it: Maybe the old Low Tech is one of the books that "did not break even"?
DrTemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 02:07 AM   #73
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luther
No. Far less annoyed. If the focus is historically accurate low tech, with fantasy as an addition, and the title isn't fantasyesque, I can make up my mind on the issue.
So, you're judging the book by one small part of its cover, before you even see it?

A bit shallow, perhaps?

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 02:12 AM   #74
DrTemp

So to sum up the discussion to this point:
  • There will be a GURPS4e book about TL0-4 gear some day, and it will include not only historical, but also Fantasy gear of those TL's.
  • That book will not be a "society book". It will be about lots of gear, and gear alone.
  • Maybe it will include guidelines and tips for customzing armor and weapons as in "my DR8 plate armor is 1/3 heavier than your DR6 plate armor, and will cost 10% more".
  • The name of that book is as yet undecided. (I assume suggestions are welcome?) It might be called "Fantasy Tech" to keep it in line with the "High Tech" and "Ultra Tech" catalog books. That name does not seem to be all too telling to most posters here, though.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:17 AM   #75
Ze'Manel Cunha

Default Re: Low-Tech vs Fantasy-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
I have no issues with the way encumbrance affects Move and Dodge, sorry.
It was a joke. (Points at uberthread.)

Quote:
First, no, you're wrong. It's the perfect way to get the Squad of Four-Foot-Nothing Midgets with ST 18.
So that's where the Dwarves come from, they're gaming munchkins.

Quote:
Second, it isn't the place of Low-Tech to dictate biomechanics.
Not expecting it to be, but a small table with an optional rule for gear modification for height and body type will allow you to outfit anyone from fairies to giants for the fantasy crowd and if it's sufficiently and properly done, everyone else can decide whether or not to apply it to general human builds too.

After all, as a gear catalog, just like any other equipment or clothing catalog, sizes and the ability to customize are pretty important.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:19 AM   #76
DrTemp

Quote:
[...about Low Tech 3e...] There were a few playtesters who recommended different changes to armor weights, and they didn't reach a consensus in time to affect the published book . . . and there were just as many people who wanted to leave the stats alone. The author couldn't do a lot with multiple, conflicting claims.
[...]
Actually differences in weight proposed by various playtesters of Low Tech 3e might really stem from different DR armor (which is hard to measure for museum pieces, after all), so a set of guidelines to adjust DR, weight and price accordingly could really solve the issue once and for all...
Old 02-22-2006, 02:19 AM   #77
Luther
Grim Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert
So, you're judging the book by one small part of its cover, before you even see it?
No. Read again my posts.

I'm not judging the book, I'm annoyed by the proposed content, the fantasy part. And I'm annoyed by its proposed, hypothetical name, for the reasons I've alredy explained. From the posts here, I'm not the only one who dislikes Fantasy-Tech title.

Do you want to argue that's to early to complain?

Well, no, I don't think so. If we beat the horse at this early stage we are more likely to not beat it again when it will be dead. You are free to disagree, but don't misread my words.

God of the Cult of Stat Normalization

Last edited by Luther; 02-22-2006 at 02:28 AM.
Luther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 06:58 AM   #78
joncarryer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward
Personally I'd rather see a layout that has a separate chapter for each technology rather than for each TL. Have separate chapters on warfare, navigation and sailing, engineering, metallurgy, agriculture, etc. and describe the tech advancement of each technology in the same chapter. Low Tech 3e was no good for world building. If I wanted to work out what sort of agriculture I might want for a certain culture, I have to go through the entire book and pull out the relevant info. Once I have it in front of me then I can decide how advanced to make this culture regarding this particular tech.
Oooh!! Yes. I wanna change my vote in favour of this organisation.

(But I still want the discussion to be more generalised, with a separate table/chart/timeline that connects each TL to as many different historical cultures/periods as possible)

Quote:
Scaling is a good topic . . . but note that it's of no historical value.
Heh. A palpable hit.
joncarryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 07:23 AM   #79
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTemp
Agreed, but, thinking about it: Maybe the old Low Tech is one of the books that "did not break even"?
Low-Tech was one of my better sellers. I believe it has had a second printing, and that's always a good sign.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 07:30 AM   #80
Hobbes

Quote:
Originally Posted by joncarryer
Or perhaps have only one chart/table, in a prominent location, with an entry for each cultural/geographic region, and a brief paragraph detailing its overall technological progress at various dates, and including notes about deviations from overall TL in specific areas.

Then, at the end of each TL section, have about 10-15 pages devoted exclusively to Fantasy considerations and how myth and magic might affect the technology at this level, as well as lists of fantastic/magical gadgets that fit best with that TL.
I think this is a great idea. I would prefer a purely historical Low Tech. The reason for this is that most so-called Fantasy Tech is just inefficient modifications on historical technology that I could make up myself if I chose to run that style of game. However, a closing section (or boxed text) by TL or culture that describes tech variations or methods for implementing fantasy genre tropes etc. would not be a waste of space, but would make the book more useful since it would now serve two styles of games.

Tags
cabaret chicks on ice, low-tech