Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Old 08-15-2006, 12:59 PM   #1
fiddler

Default Gurps vs. SJGs other games.

Since card and other games make up a lions share of SJGs money flow how much does a delay in say a release in the new munchkin expansion effect a gurps release. I do not want hard numbers just say a lot, a little, or not at all. Thanks.
fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 08:57 PM   #2
AOTA

Default Re: Gurps vs. SJGs other games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddler
Since card and other games make up a lions share of SJGs money flow how much does a delay in say a release in the new munchkin expansion effect a gurps release. I do not want hard numbers just say a lot, a little, or not at all. Thanks.
I would guess very little. I'm sure their is not a whole lot of staff over lap with those lines. Maybe with the layout.
Mib#3477
Formally Bobzilla
GURPS Checker for Prime Directive
AOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 03:18 PM   #3
Shadlyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddler
I read your question two ways, so I attempt some answer at both:

Does the same staff work on the two, causing a delay in one to use up production time needed for the other, and thus creating a snowball effect?

Depends.

Yeah, it's a lousy answer, bit it's true. A lot of the same people work on both projects...but my understanding (from the other side of the building) is that the two rarely interfere with each other. Occasionally they might conflict for a particular stage of production, causing a delay of some degree or other, but I don't think that the effect often snowballs - each stage is distinct, and approached differently for different types of products.

Alternate reading: Since you make your money off of card games, does a delay there mean you don't have enough money to make a GURPS book?

I suspect this answer would fall into the "a little" category. Most of the time, the delay between printing and paying means that we can cover a print run with...itself. But on products we're less sure of, or during times when cash is tighter than normal, this probably happens to some degree or other.

Now, a cash-caused delay is unlikely to be of significantly length. In most cases, the problem would be resolved within a month, since cash flow is just that...it ebbs and flows like the tide.

Keep in mind, of course, that I'm retail, not accounting or production, so my readings might be wrong.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:00 PM   #4
fiddler

Thanks for the answer to my question. I have always been curious about the market forces that drive the RPG industry.
fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote