Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-24-2020, 08:55 PM   #1
SolemnGolem

Default Concepts for powerful undead ruling over live subjects

I'm writing up a modified Ravenloft setting (kingdom of Darkon, a dark magic fantasy realm). The leadership of the kingdom is intentionally secretive and runs things generally through a cabinet of barons, and a sinister secret police - the Kargat.

The Kargat heads are said to be all vampires or other top-rank undead in the base game. I'm okay with this, but I want to have vampires that are high-powered, rare, and each fairly distinct from each other.

I've come up with these concepts so far, after looking through undead manuals and GURPS Blood Types:
  • The standard "magical blood-drinking nobleman". He has wolf/bat/mist alternate forms, some arcane spellcasting, drinks blood, etc. His resting focus is the traditional coffin.
  • The cosmopolitan temptress. Physically less powerful, but doesn't fear sunlight and doesn't need blood to survive. Instead, she leeches off the energy and emotional vitality of her thralls, leaving them listless and indifferent to death.
  • The military revenant. Based on a draug template, this is a physical powerhouse of a dead soldier. It carries a returning spear, an axe for carving through armor, and a broadsword for lifestealing healing.
  • The faithless preacher. She can command emotions in living listeners, swaying the skeptics to faith, and moving the faithful to tears. As the harbinger of a false religion, she also projects a Static aura around her which obscures and disrupts priestly magic.
  • The jiangshi alchemist. This Kargat head hails from an Eastern land, and has mastered a mix of herbalism and alchemy, as well as two of the five wuxing elements (water and wood).
  • The parasite collective. This Kargat head is a collection of wormlike parasites (tsochar) that grow more intelligent the larger their number. Limited by the mass of their human hosts, they seek a massive sapient creature to infect and overcome.
  • The Pyrewraith. An elven agent once betrayed her people in return for the king's favor - her fellows burned her at the stake. The Kargat brought her back, as an ash-flaked spirit full of vengeance.
  • The Barrener. A dwarven Kargat head ruling over the mountain forests, who drains the essence of the earth she stands on, leaving a trail of blasted and stunted vegetation. She cannot be killed as long as she touches the earth.
  • The Undercity Oracle. A dreaming nosferatu can absorb memories from eating its victims. The Kargat police keeps it sedated in an underground stronghold, feeding it victims who hold valuable knowledge, as well as multitudinous swarms of vermin, to keep millions of eyes on the city.

I hope to post some NPC builds in greater detail in this thread for comment and critique. Several of these were posted in GURPS discussions elsewhere, before being removed. Hopefully they'll do better here, on GURPS' home turf.

I'm puttering around with building my NPCs in GURPS Character Sheet. I don't know if there's an easy way to output a forum-friendly format.

Last edited by SolemnGolem; 11-27-2020 at 04:34 PM.
SolemnGolem is offline   Reply With Quote