Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-01-2019, 07:39 AM   #11
jason taylor

Default Re: [Basic]Disadvantage of the Week: Miserliness

Quote:
Originally Posted by edk926 View Post
I'm a miser. I don't haggle though. Haggling isn't common in the modern world now, at least in the US. My miserliness manifests in an inability to buy stuff that's full price. If it's not on a good sale, I'm not buying it.
To bad, that is an entertaining sounding custom. It doesn't really work when buying from shopping centers though.
Old 07-01-2019, 12:04 PM   #12
Black Leviathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
coupons.
I don't know how I forgot about coupons but you're totally right! Having coupons tucked in your wallet for stuff you might need in the future would be the hallmark sign of the Miserliness Disadvantage. The more modern version of that might be Loyalty Cards or Airline Miles Cards. In the future it might be having a fat sleeve of credit sticks so that you always use the credit line that gives you the best discount for a purchase or having an advisor computer that tracks down specials and deals at places you've shopped and constantly bothers you to let you know that there's a promotion for something you don't necessarily need, but you can't shut off the notification because someday it will be a bargain on something you do want to buy..
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 12:29 PM   #13
RogerBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
To bad, that is an entertaining sounding custom. It doesn't really work when buying from shopping centers though.
It doesn't work when the person on the sharp end of the sale doesn't have a direct interest in getting the best price. If you told the clerks "every dollar they pay above the lowest acceptable price is a dollar you get to take home"…
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 12:39 PM   #14
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: [Basic] Disadvantage of the Week: Miserliness

There are a few contexts in which haggling is used in the United States at least. Its part and parcel of yard sales, and most car purchases are tolerant of haggling as well. Its a doubled edged-sword, because if the industry expects haggling, they start higher than they actually expect to sell, and that's frustrating.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 02:18 PM   #15
SionEwig

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
There are a few contexts in which haggling is used in the United States at least. Its part and parcel of yard sales, and most car purchases are tolerant of haggling as well. Its a doubled edged-sword, because if the industry expects haggling, they start higher than they actually expect to sell, and that's frustrating.

In addition to the use at yard sales, include true estate sales, flea markets, such things as hobbyist shows (gun, coin, historical memorabilia, etc.), and arts and crafts shows/fairs. I've seen haggling at all of the above.
SionEwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 03:06 PM   #16
edk926

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Yeah, haggling happens for cars. Misers will also squeeze every last mile out of their cars before purchasing another one. Other products too. They aren't trading in for a new cell phone until the day the old one kicks the bucket.
edk926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 04:14 PM   #17
Dalillama

Quote:
It doesn't work when the person on the sharp end of the sale doesn't have a direct interest in getting the best price. If you told the clerks "every dollar they pay above the lowest acceptable price is a dollar you get to take home"…
...you wind up with the salesclerks competing to tell the most grandiose lies about the product and get a lot of very cranky customers calling in to complain.
Dalillama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:49 PM   #18
dcarson

Any place with commission sales types has haggling. A friend of mine worked in a electronics store and they got not just commissions but extra money from manufactures so they were willing to make deals on stuff where they were getting sell most units get a reward but less so stuff where they got a cut of the sale amount.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 12:06 PM   #19
jason taylor

Quote:
By definition there is a disincentive in management to do so if they make more profit cranking through numbers of sales than individual sales. And unless part of "above lowest acceptable price" goes to the company they are not going to make that arrangement anyway.
Old 07-04-2019, 06:17 PM   #20
gmillerd

There are a lot of modern day quirks people have that play into this disadvantage.
  • Such as "i never shop without a coupon", "i will wait for it to go on sale", "wait for black friday", "i'll wait until the next version comes out so i can get it cheaper", or "i'll buy it used".
  • The the laborious amount of researching for some products people do, the same product on amazon, big box store, costco, and so forth.
  • You could imagine that a drive for points on a credit card and or buyers club would come to mind.

Such idiosyncrasies can be seen as haggling of sorts.

Tags
disadvantage of the week, miserliness