Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2019, 09:33 AM   #1
cvannrederode
 
cvannrederode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Pennsylvania
Default Halfling Wizard

So I have a player who is looking at creating a halfling wizard (who may or may not ride on the shoulders of an ogre barbarian, but that's beside the point...).

And he noticed something that prompted this question:

Is there a specific reason whey Halfling Marksmanship does not include Innate Attack?
cvannrederode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 09:54 AM   #2
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor
 
Kromm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Montréal, Québec
Default Re: Halfling Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvannrederode View Post

Is there a specific reason whey Halfling Marksmanship does not include Innate Attack?
Yes.

The things halflings are good with are physical projectiles affected by gravity, wind, etc. – things that obey the usual principles of ballistics. Jets, energy beams, withering gazes, strange floaty balls of energy, and the like obey mystical laws instead. Innate Attack is the skill of ritually "directing" such effects, not physically projecting them, which is handled by the spells themselves.

Strictly off the record: Halfling Marksmanship is meant to reflect the way Tolkien's hobbits were good at pitching stones (Throwing), and has been extended to pitching stones with a sling (Sling), as well as to things that seem vaguely like fun pub games that befit beer-swilling hobbits: tossing darts, knives, etc. Bow was added to make Halfling scouts interesting – with high DX and Silence, that seemed like a reasonable addition.

But you'll note the lack of Blowpipe, Bolas, Crossbow, Lasso, Net, Spear Thrower, and Thrown Weapon (Axe/Mace, Harpoon, Shuriken, and Spear), too. Halflings aren't supposed to be crack shots with everything ranged, just with a small subset of weapons. This excludes heavy "martial" weapons, sneaky "ninja" weapons, . . . and spells.

If you want halflings to be good with all ranged attacks – Blowpipe, Bolas, Bow, Crossbow, Innate Attack (all), Lasso, Net, Sling, Spear Thrower, Throwing, and Thrown Weapon (all) – increase the cost from 5/level to 10/level.
__________________
Sean "Dr. Kromm" Punch <kromm@sjgames.com>
GURPS Line Editor, Steve Jackson Games
My LiveJournal [Just GURPS News][Just The Company]
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 01:33 PM   #3
Black Leviathan
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Default Re: Halfling Wizard

I like the idea of Halflings with Bolos more than Boomerangs. As fun as it is for my pint-sized Ghost Gator Barbarian to spring into the fight winging a boomerang at people Halflings are better scaled to something like a bolo that would make sense for them to use when hunting.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 05:54 PM   #4
Dalin
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Saint Paul, MN
Default Re: Halfling Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Leviathan View Post
I like the idea of Halflings with Bolos more than Boomerangs. As fun as it is for my pint-sized Ghost Gator Barbarian to spring into the fight winging a boomerang at people Halflings are better scaled to something like a bolo that would make sense for them to use when hunting.
That sounds good to me. Based on Kromm's post, it seems like a GM could adjust the list to fit different cultural models. If the mix of weapons seem more powerful, adjust the price upward, maxing out at 10 point/level for all ranged attacks.

I could easily see adjusting this list to create a few different flavors of halflings in a world. (Why do elves get all the love?) Bolas halflings in one area, blowgun halflings in the jungle with the poison frogs, maybe even a thoroughly urban crossbow mafia. Even lasso halflings riding wild boars (or, say, acid spiders).
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 10:58 PM   #5
tbone
 
tbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: Halfling Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
. . . blowgun halflings in the jungle with the poison frogs
Jungle halflings vs jungle horde pygmies. Now that'd be on my short (!) list of things worth seeing. (The horde pygmies would have to overwhelm with numbers, though; halflings are smarter and tougher.)

On the main topic: The explanation for why Halfling Marksmanship doesn't cover Innate Attack sounds fine. (And I like the suggestion to expand the trait to all ranged weapons for 10/level.)

But it would be fun if there were the option of actually throwing, not directing, Missile spells. Wizards who already know Throwing wouldn't have to learn Innate Attack (Projectile), and halflings could enjoy their bonus. There'd be drawbacks, though: range would limited by ST (not a good thing for halflings!), and I'd think the thrown missile would be subject to Parry, like any small thrown weapon.

Other details would probably need to be hammered out as well, so it's only a thought. Mainly, I just like the image of wizards actually throwing missiles like rocks or grenades!
__________________
T. Bone
GURPS stuff and more at the Games Diner:
http://www.gamesdiner.com
Twitter: @Gamesdiner
(Latest goods on the site: Site status: Destruction and rebirth!. Probably the last post on the existing site before its pending recreation atop more modern bones. Stay tuned for the relaunch.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:46 PM   #6
evileeyore
 
evileeyore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 100 hurricane swamp
Default Re: Halfling Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
But it would be fun if there were the option of actually throwing, not directing, Missile spells. Wizards who already know Throwing wouldn't have to learn Innate Attack (Projectile), and halflings could enjoy their bonus.
To do it with Innate Attack skill, just call it a feature of Halflings, to use Throwing I'd call it a Perk (or a Racial Feature if you want, it's really not worth the one point considering the distances some Missile Spells get).

Quote:
There'd be drawbacks, though: range would limited by ST (not a good thing for halflings!), and I'd think the thrown missile would be subject to Parry, like any small thrown weapon.
Since a Fireball weighs the same as 24 angels dancing on the head of pin, I think you'll be happy... (in other words spells should be treated as being the minimum Weight Ratio, so STx3.5).

Also, I'd add "Unlimited Trained ST from Throwing/Throwing Art" to Halfling Marksmanship... or swap out the Reaction bonus for the Alternative Benefit: Add levels of Halfling Marksmanship to ST to calculate throwing distances.

Or do both to get Halflings raining down death from really far away.

Quote:
Other details would probably need to be hammered out as well, so it's only a thought. Mainly, I just like the image of wizards actually throwing missiles like rocks or grenades!
Agreed...
__________________
Feel free to steal, borrow, fold, spindle, mutilate any rule, advantage, etc I come up with it.

Gurps Combat Club on RPoL. Come check it out, play in a tourney or two!

Last edited by evileeyore; 03-29-2019 at 11:49 PM.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 04:52 PM   #7
corwyn
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Default Re: Halfling Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvannrederode View Post
So I have a player who is looking at creating a halfling wizard (who may or may not ride on the shoulders of an ogre barbarian, but that's beside the point...).
that sounds like the Halfling wizard in my game. Well, the Barbarian is a human Ally and the halfling is reskinned (figuratively speaking) as a Raccoon folk, but you get the drift.
__________________
MiB 7704
Playing: D&D 5e
Running: DF RPG/Steampunk
Running: DF RPG Nordlond
Playing: DF RPG Musketeers
Playing: GURPS Uplift?
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 11:00 AM   #8
DAT
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho
Default Re: Halfling Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvannrederode View Post
So I have a player who is looking at creating a halfling wizard (who may or may not ride on the shoulders of an ogre barbarian, but that's beside the point...).
...

Sounds like the Pixie Wizard in one of my games who rides on the shoulder of the party's Half-Ogre Knight tank. Their SOP is Pixie Wizard (who normally has Invisibility or Blur and Armor up, casts Great Hast on the Half-Ogre, before flying to the back of the party to hang with the Cleric, tossing flame jets or quick sunbolts along the way as needed.

With DX+3, the Pixie's Innate Attack would match the Halfling's DX+1 and Halfling Marksmanship +2. The only issue is the Pixie is more squishy than a Halfling.

Last edited by DAT; 04-05-2019 at 04:00 PM.
DAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 08:56 AM   #9
lachimba
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney
Default Re: Halfling Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAT View Post
Sounds like the Pixie Wizard in one of my games who rides on the shoulder of the party's Half-Ogre Knight tank. Their SOP is Pixie Wizard (who normally has Invisibility or Blur and Armor up, casts Great Hast on the Half-Ogre, before flying to the back of the party to hang with the Cleric, tossing flame jets or quick sunbolts along the way as needed.

With DX+3, the Pixie's Innate Attack would match the Halfling's DX+1 and Halfling Marksmanship +2. The only issue is the Pixie is more squishy than a Halfling.

But there are no pixie PCs in DFRPG.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 05:59 PM   #10
evileeyore
 
evileeyore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 100 hurricane swamp
Default Re: Halfling Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
But there are no pixie PCs in DFRPG.
Not RAW, but you can cook them up pretty easily ...
__________________
Feel free to steal, borrow, fold, spindle, mutilate any rule, advantage, etc I come up with it.

Gurps Combat Club on RPoL. Come check it out, play in a tourney or two!
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
wizard

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.