Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-23-2016, 09:42 AM   #11
Lia Valenth

Default Re: A lesser super-luck: saved roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
...So what would it cost to have a sort of Super Luck where you can "choose" a roll, but must have rolled it before in the same session (time period), set it aside, and rerolled the original?
Can the character bank any roll? You mention rolling a critical success on something of lesser importance, but could I also bank a critical failure I roll on something extremely important so I can reroll that but have to fail something later?

I think I would do it like this:
Roll once when you get the power and put that roll in the "bank". Every given amount of time (1 hour?) you can replace whatever you rolled with what is currently in your "bank", and place your current roll into the "bank".

This is definitely not as good as Super Luck (100, 1/hour), and I am not even sure it is as good as Luck with how I have designed it. I would probably price it the same as Luck.
Old 12-23-2016, 10:15 AM   #12
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lia Valenth View Post
Can the character bank any roll? You mention rolling a critical success on something of lesser importance, but could I also bank a critical failure I roll on something extremely important so I can reroll that but have to fail something later?
There isa Corruption (or some such) mechanic/effect in one of the books where in one gets a bene now in exchange for losing a Critical Success into a Failure later.

Don't ask me which GURPS books or Pyramid article I read it in though.

[EDIT]
I think it's a Dungeon Fantasy template Power-Up.
[/EDIT]
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 11:40 AM   #13
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
One way leads to simplicity, the other to a bit of bookkeeping.
Ordinary forms of Luck require noting the time at which they were used. This is why I have a large clock in my lounge.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 01:56 PM   #14
Nereidalbel

Perk: I'm feeling lucky! [1] You may declare a use of your Luck at any time, making three rolls and recording the best result. This incurs the normal cooldown period, and may be saved for any time this session.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 08:32 PM   #15
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
Wow, I think your both crazy. The ability to 'bank' a crit is with a lot more than 1 point.

I seriously would never build a PC without crit banking, probably 2-3 levels of it if it were a mere point. Doubly so in a story heavy game there are lots of 'well it's fantastic that the morning smoothie I made up to impress my date is a crit, but I'd much rather have her retching in the bathroom if it means that my next seduce roll is an auto-crit (or crafting, or enchant roll, or to do up the 36x batch of healing potions, or reciting the ritual in ancient Sumerian to banish the big bad without a protracted fight, or merchant roll to get that +10 grimore for free, or the reaction roll to make culthu my best friend)
I'd only allow it if successes and failures means something. I'd never do it in that circumstance unless I didn't care about the date.

Smaller point, you can't use this on reaction rolls since you don't roll those. Same for damage and GM made rolls for you.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 07:37 AM   #16
starslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
I'd only allow it if successes and failures means something. I'd never do it in that circumstance unless I didn't care about the date.

Smaller point, you can't use this on reaction rolls since you don't roll those. Same for damage and GM made rolls for you.
That is why I went out of my way to assure that the 'throw away' roll meant something, but was of obviously less utility then what it was going to be transferred to, and that is what will happen in play
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 08:41 AM   #17
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
That is why I went out of my way to assure that the 'throw away' roll meant something, but was of obviously less utility then what it was going to be transferred to, and that is what will happen in play
So?

That's how Luck is used now. No one bothers using it on the "inconsequential" rolls, it's saved for the important rolls.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 08:59 AM   #18
malloyd

Quote:
So?

That's how Luck is used now. No one bothers using it on the "inconsequential" rolls, it's saved for the important rolls.
It impacts the reasonable cost though. If you have to give up something nearly as worthwhile now to have a good roll later that's a much less valuable ability than one that allows you to fold origami Christmas ornaments until you crit one, and save that result for later at a cost of ruining a sheet of paper.
Old 12-24-2016, 09:11 AM   #19
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
It impacts the reasonable cost though. If you have to give up something nearly as worthwhile now to have a good roll later that's a much less valuable ability than one that allows you to fold origami Christmas ornaments until you crit one, and save that result for later at a cost of ruining a sheet of paper.
And while your character is folding all that paper, he isn't doing something else that's more relevant to the plot. ("Did you remember to pack a ... no, you didn't have time to pack, what with all the origami you were doing. Never mind; you don't have one. But you've got plenty of paper.")
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 10:16 AM   #20
starslayer

Quote:
So?

Yes, it is also a 100 point advantage. I am solely arguing that turning super luck with an accessibility/temporary disadvantage is never going to turn it into a mere perk.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
luck