Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-14-2016, 12:39 AM   #1
Minuteman37

Default Vampires Feeding on Immortals

After reading a fairly interesting thread on vampire setting I go to thinking on my own urban fantasy setting and a relationship I hadn't worked out yet.

The basics of it are that their are a group of immortal humans who after dying come back as immortals. The only commonality between these individuals seems to be they all suffered sudden traumatic deaths that left them with much to do in life. Their are no immortals who died quietly in their beds at the age of 80 after leading good lives. A disproportionate number of these immortals died in battle and consider themselves warriors (or at least were largely considered such by those around them).

These immortals have a sort of sixth sense called the knowing (they are heavily inspired by the Highlander franchise) which bestows information upon them that they otherwise couldn't of known, I haven't worked out all the details and I may be starting a new thread just to discuss it. The important bit though is that the knowing is particularly "loud" when it concerns other supernatural creators and other immortals. Within the setting you could probably hypothesize that the knowledge of the weaknesses certain creators like vampires and werewolves have were propagated by immortals who just "knew" them.

Immortals can only be killed by complete and utter body destruction or by being decapitated by another immortal. A stab to the heart can work as well, but the attacking immortal needs to keep hold of the blade as he absorbs his targets essence for several seconds. During this time both parties are paralyses and an outside force could intervene, on top of that the target and attacker make opposing will rolls and a large enough victory on the targets part reverses the process. So decapitation is the preferred method of murder.

Now the thread relevant bit of setting information is that vampires find immortal blood to be largely preferable to the blood of mortals becouse immortals are directly connected to the source of life energy and basically ooze the stuff becouse of it.

Now my problem is that I'm not entirely sure what difference between normal human blood and immortal blood actually is. Any help on that front?
Minuteman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:46 AM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: Vampires Feeding on Immortals

Immortal blood is 10x as good as mortal blood for all purposes. Taste, healing, energy recovery, stays good longer...
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:29 AM   #3
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuteman37 View Post
the knowing
See Illuminated, B60, for a start.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:36 AM   #4
aesir23

Well, for one thing, an immortal can provide a lot more blood without dying, and presumably regenerate their supplies more rapidly.

This alone would mean that a single captive immortal would allow a vampire or small group of vampires to feed indefinitely without taking the risk of finding new prey.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:34 AM   #5
starslayer

Would it really be much more than a minor disadvantage for the immortals blood to be akin to an essential element(from gurps magic).

Ie a vampire who has fed on it needs only 1/4 as much, find it supernaturally tasty, and can go 4x as long between feedings (so if they have draining they can go 4 days between meals rather than just one)

I have one character who has similar characteristics
1. I used a modification of flagrant aura from thaumatology to represent the extra tastiness (+3 to rolls to detect under specific circumstances - In this modified case being tasted by blood/spirit consumers)
2. A quirk for 'forever pure' that assures that regardless of circumstance if it works against the PC they count as 'pure' or 'ideal' (a virgin, an atlantean, etc as required or preffered)
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:25 AM   #6
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuteman37 View Post
These immortals have a sort of sixth sense called the knowing (they are heavily inspired by the Highlander franchise) which bestows information upon them that they otherwise couldn't of known, I haven't worked out all the details and I may be starting a new thread just to discuss it. The important bit though is that the knowing is particularly "loud" when it concerns other supernatural creators and other immortals. ?
The Highlander version was just Detect with Vague but Reflexive. No direction, no distance but no conscious effort either.

If "The Knowing" also gives them Clues from the Higher Powers that might be Oracle.

Your total bodily destruction clause means your immortals have Unkillable I rather than 2 or 3.

Immortal blood does for or to vampires whatever you want. It could set them on fire as easily as supercharge them. The former might make for a more stable setting. If Vampires have charm or similar abilities (I,e. dominate their spawn) they could have a horde of thralls gang-tackle any Immortal they could find.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:42 AM   #7
Fred Brackin

Further thoughts:

If not otherwise empowered Immortals are low on offense compared to other possible supernaturals. You'd probably need to give them TBAM abilities at a minimum. TBAM could even be part of "The Knowing".

Invisibility Art would be very handy for not spending all your time protecting your Secret from the mortals. Hiding your sword could be a Technique off that.

As an alternative you could let them buy a single level of Payload with Cosmic and Signature Gear Only. That might be a Perk more or less.

Also, have immortals and other Supernaturals turn to dust when the die for the last time. Otherwise their could be a lot of "how do we dispose of the body _this_ week" issues.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:37 AM   #8
GodBeastX

Psuedo science to the rescue!

Souls!

If you treat the energy in a being's soul as the experiences and memories of a person, then anyone who can live long enough to build more experiences and memories, personality and accomplishments is going to have a stronger soul.

Energy

Sustaining an infallible system of immortality should take more "cosmic/magic/psycho" energy. After all, cells should die but something just keeps repairing them outside the normal processes. Since blood is "Life stream" of an individual, essentially drinking an immortal's blood is probably considered drinking a concentrated energy. It might be the difference between Fruit Punch and Fruit Punch Concentrate! YUM!

Sympathy

Blood is notorious for being a sympathic link to an individual and the lifes of that individual. Drinking it might instill some of the properties of the individual on the vampire. If a vampire is already eternal undead, what would drinking an everlasting life stream do? Maybe it retroactively enhances the form as though it were alive before death! "Wow, I was like 50 when I died, I drank an immortal and now I'm 20! NEAT!" It might also result in power to perform things a vampire normally can't perform, like a capacitor. It might also simply get them high, "WOOOO! WHAT A RUSH!"
Old 07-14-2016, 09:58 PM   #9
christ0pher

I did some ground work for a similar setting using thinly veiled Highlander immortals and several other supernatural races including vampires of the Ann Rice variety.

In the setting I postulated that immortal blood, aside from healing normal humans of fatal injuries and disease, would also return a vampire to normal human, removing the corruption of vampire blood and all powers associated with it. Something that most of these vampires would fear greatly.

Just food for thought.

christ0pher
You reach out to push the orc off the ledge.
[Dice roll. Critical Failure!]
But instead, lightly caress his back.
The orc is uncomfortable.
christ0pher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:59 PM   #10
Flyndaran
Untagged

Vampire The Masquerade had a Merit equivalent to Gurps advantage.
After spelunking in my boxes finding many a horrid thing...
Spark Of Life: Turns the normally very difficult to heal with or without magic injuries called Aggravated Wounds into non-Aggravated. Along with a low level of Gurps style Regeneration. And here it is, vampires get twice as much effect from your blood. All these combined mean that Vampires' name for such individuals is, and I quote here for humor, "'Cornucopia', 'big gulp', or simply, 'Mine!'"
(I've lived here for over two years. When and why did I pack dirty dishes?)