Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-16-2014, 02:43 PM   #21
Hannes665

Default Re: Looking For Less Frequent Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Benj View Post
That sounds like an incredible deal, for one point. Why wouldn't everyone take that?
I think they should, reroll one death roll, one critical fail. We used to have a rule were you could buy a reroll for 1 pt. This makes more sense and I would allow it almost any game except very realistic game.

Darth Vader "Luke! I am your fathers second cousins sisters best friends brother!"

Luke Skywalker "Nooo... eehh What?!"
Hannes665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 02:56 PM   #22
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

A reroll for one point is generally not as good as just buying a success.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 04:13 PM   #23
Hannes665

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
A reroll for one point is generally not as good as just buying a success.
No but in a ongoing campaign itīs reusable, once per session. So in 5 session you would get 5 rerolls while buying success 5 times would cost 5 pts.

Darth Vader "Luke! I am your fathers second cousins sisters best friends brother!"

Luke Skywalker "Nooo... eehh What?!"
Hannes665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 04:39 PM   #24
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
I've had Luck (once per session) priced at 10 pts as a houserule for years, and it's purchased fairly often. Admittedly, it's also used as a stepping stone for full Luck.

I personally would find it cumbersome to keep track of Luck recharge times that span game sessions, but it sounds like you're pretty comfortable with it. Still, it might be worth considering more narratively-based timeframes, like "Once per encounter" or "Once per combat".
Once per session at 10 just seems like too much. Honestly, 5 points for Luck once per session also seems a bit much... though maybe with a long recharge time (3+ hours) and the caveat that it is "or once per session", just so no one feels like they have to track the time in an overly precise manner.

For example, session runs four hours? Unless you used Luck right away, you're getting one use. Session runs 8 hours (for the once every three hours idea)... you've got a good chance of squeezing two uses in. Session runs just over 6 hours and you quickly use your Luck as we start, once again three hours later, and once again right before we end... good for you.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 04:41 PM   #25
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannes665 View Post
I think they should, reroll one death roll, one critical fail. We used to have a rule were you could buy a reroll for 1 pt. This makes more sense and I would allow it almost any game except very realistic game.
The only thing going against it is that it is so valuable and just one point... so why bother even charging for it? I mean, same deal even at two points; unlike Longevity (barring starting with someone advanced enough in age to already need to make Aging checks) it isn't something you're taking for if you live long enough, but that you'll be cashing in on each session.

As such I am thinking of just making it a "house rule". Should the point cost ever be relevant, I might keep it at the 1 point, perhaps bump it up to 2 or 3 but I can't see it being worth 5 or 10.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Old 05-16-2014, 05:04 PM   #26
The Benj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannes665 View Post
Again, if you're putting a huge discount on it because you think everyone should have it, just make it included.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:20 PM   #27
Not another shrubbery

Five points for one use of Luck per session seems about right to me. Perk level luck looks so similar to Buying Success that I'd just treat it as a case of that and charge one point for one re-roll.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 01:53 AM   #28
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
Five points for one use of Luck per session seems about right to me. Perk level luck looks so similar to Buying Success that I'd just treat it as a case of that and charge one point for one re-roll.
What about the other idea, a +1 once per session to a roll, possibly capable of being applied retroactively, maybe with some other stipulations.

Yes, that is more than a bit vague and incomplete, but its a work in progress. ;)
Old 05-17-2014, 04:00 AM   #29
The Benj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
What about the other idea, a +1 once per session to a roll, possibly capable of being applied retroactively, maybe with some other stipulations.

Yes, that is more than a bit vague and incomplete, but its a work in progress. ;)
I think if it only lets you turn a failure by 1 into a success by 0, that's probably okay.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 11:05 AM   #30
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Benj View Post
I think if it only lets you turn a failure by 1 into a success by 0, that's probably okay.
Perks are supposed to be quite narrow, but I worry this is too narrow... or are we dropping the "once per session" thing?

I also am wondering if this would be better served not as a "Perk" version of Luck (the original goal I had) but as a separate Advantage; a form of Luck that instead of giving re-rolls works a bit like Modular Advantages. For want of a better name, I'll refer to it as Modular Luck; you determine how big and often a bonus you can apply and to what kinds of rolls.

Tags
frequency, homebrew, luck, raw