Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-15-2014, 07:24 PM   #11
Hannes665

Default Re: Looking For Less Frequent Luck

I would allow Perk Lucky Bastard or similar were the player gets to reroll one roll once per session.

Darth Vader "Luke! I am your fathers second cousins sisters best friends brother!"

Luke Skywalker "Nooo... eehh What?!"
Hannes665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:38 PM   #12
The Benj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannes665 View Post
I would allow Perk Lucky Bastard or similar were the player gets to reroll one roll once per session.
That sounds like an incredible deal, for one point. Why wouldn't everyone take that?
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:13 PM   #13
gilbertocarlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Benj View Post
That sounds like an incredible deal, for one point. Why wouldn't everyone take that?
I'd accept a perk that let's you reroll once, provided you said that before rolling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
[*]I want most players taking some form of Luck, so low prices are only a problem when insanely abusive.
The problem with that is most people will active the tldr instinct and think a perk for luck is not abusive.
If you want so much to everyone having luck, give it to everyone, those who don't want can instead buy "doesn't have luck" as a disadvantage.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:53 PM   #14
The Benj

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertocarlos View Post
I'd accept a perk that let's you reroll once, provided you said that before rolling.
So you say you'll use it in advance, then roll twice, taking the better result? That seems okay.

Quote:
The problem with that is most people will active the tldr instinct and think a perk for luck is not abusive.
If you want so much to everyone having luck, give it to everyone, those who don't want can instead buy "doesn't have luck" as a disadvantage.
Yes.
Or not even give that option, if you want people to have it.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 01:15 AM   #15
Ashtagon

Quote:
Moderate Luck: Same as Regular Luck, but usable once every two hours.
Cost: 10 Points
Minor Luck: Same as Regular Luck, but usable once every four hours.
Cost: 5 points
Perk Luck: Same as Regular Luck, but usable once every eight hours or per session (GM's discretion).
Cost 1 point
Can I buy Perk Luck five times please?
Ashtagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 01:40 AM   #16
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post
Can I buy Perk Luck five times please?
...facetious comment or an attempt at pointing out a potential flaw?

My initial suggestion for Perk Luck has already been determined as flawed, so I am thinking it is the former (in which case I didn't get the joke, forgive me). The thing is as an honest criticism it would fall short, or did I miss where you can buy (for example) actual Luck, Extraordinary Luck, and Ridiculous Luck multiple times? No, really: let me know because that would be a major oversight on my part!

Now onto what I know was a serious point and not a joke

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertocarlos View Post
Can't fault that logic; so my comments about a low price being okay just because I personally prefer having this mechanic (as a player and a GM) to fall back on in a more official, crunchy light is indeed irrelevant and contradictory to my initial stated purpose of also wanting to find something that - as a player - I could either cite as RAW (...for actual RAW, of course =P ) at other tables or at least make a factual (and hopefully compelling) argument for as a home brewed or extrapolated ruling.

For me, that just puts it more to a "step zero": what kind of "Luck" option could be standardized so that it was less expensive and fell into line better with the other options, for those times when you want a character to be "Lucky" but not as Lucky as the Advantage's usual starting point?

Getting the "standard" Luck mechanics down to Perk Level was already a stretch, so at this point I'll abandon it as I don't believe there is a meaningful way of doing so; the core Advantage is just too useful and has to lose too much to avoid being an obvious bargain. At the 5 and 10 point levels, I think there might still be some wiggle room, and would like to continue the discussion.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 04:13 AM   #17
Gnome

Quote:
Can you think of something different that would be worth it as a "Perk" version of Luck? Like a +1 bonus available once per session and can be retroactively applied to your last roll, and doesn't count towards a critical success?
That sounds pretty good, actually.

Perk: Lucky Break
Once per session, you may retroactively turn a failure by one into a success, provided the failure was not a critical failure. This only affects your own rolls, and only if your margin of failure was exactly one.

I don't know, that might still be better than a Perk. I have a feeling it's still something every PC will buy. If you want this to be a Perk, I'm afraid you might have to drop the "retroactive" bit...
Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:36 AM   #18
Michael Cule

Isn't there an optional rule somewhere which allows anyone to buy a reroll for an unused character point? There is an optional rule about improving the result of a roll with character points in Campaigns but I seem to recall using something different at one stage.

And what is a 'You're lucky but it will cost you a CP' advantage going to be worth?
Michael Cule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:39 AM   #19
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cule View Post
Isn't there an optional rule somewhere which allows anyone to buy a reroll for an unused character point? There is an optional rule about improving the result of a roll with character points in Campaigns but I seem to recall using something different at one stage.

And what is a 'You're lucky but it will cost you a CP' advantage going to be worth?
I think 1/5 is canonical.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:32 AM   #20
Dustin

I've had Luck (once per session) priced at 10 pts as a houserule for years, and it's purchased fairly often. Admittedly, it's also used as a stepping stone for full Luck.

I personally would find it cumbersome to keep track of Luck recharge times that span game sessions, but it sounds like you're pretty comfortable with it. Still, it might be worth considering more narratively-based timeframes, like "Once per encounter" or "Once per combat".

Tags
frequency, homebrew, luck, raw