Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 07-18-2013, 11:01 PM   #1
Trypto

Default Charm question

After showing my friends this post on the FAQ....

Q. If I announce I'm going to do something, am I locked into that decision or can I change my mind? For instance, I was a Wizard and declared that I was going to fight a monster, but then the monster was enhanced further. Can I change my mind and Charm it?
A. You're NEVER locked into a final decision unless a card or rule says so. (However, there are no "take-backs" once you have played a card or rolled a die.)

they decided to interpret the "there are no take-backs" part as in you cannot take back your decision to fight it could you please clarify if this is referring to your decision of fighting or to the cards I may have played such as potions, doppleganger, etc...
Trypto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:31 PM   #2
Bampop

Default Re: Charm question

While you are fighting it, you decided to end the fight by charming it. Nothing about the Wizard's ability says you charm it instead of fighting it.
MiB #3282, Palm Bay, FL
Munchkin, Zombie/Cthulhu Dice, Burn in Hell!, Revolution!, Castellan, Chez Geek, OGRE DE, Chupacabra, Nanuk
mib3282@gmail.com
Bampop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:38 AM   #3
six's monkey

In other words, you do not have to 'take back your decision to fight' if you want to switch tactics and charm. If they felt you were taking advantage somehow, you can remind them that you had to pay the cost of the ability and the opportunity cost (not gaining level(s) or treasure(s) from charmed monster).
six's monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:40 AM   #4
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trypto View Post
they decided to interpret the "there are no take-backs" part as in you cannot take back your decision to fight it could you please clarify if this is referring to your decision of fighting or to the cards I may have played such as potions, doppleganger, etc...
First of all, it says there are no take backs once you've played a card or rolled a die.

Either way, charming a Monster is never a decision one must make immediately, especially since any given combat's status can change back and forth over even a short period of time. Of course, if your friends won't relent, argue with them that they can't ask for help unless they do it immediately, so if there was once a Monster they could beat and then couldn't after a few Monster Enhancers were added they couldn't ask for help, and we'll see how quickly they relent. Of course, you can't ask for help when you are winning, so hopefully it's obvious to see how that doesn't really work.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charm, clarification, interpretation, rule stretching, wizard