Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-23-2019, 09:17 AM   #81
Anders

Default Re: What's your advice on how to hand out experience points?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
1 Character point per £1 or $1 works out very nicely for the GM!
Definitely a pay-to-win GM. I usually go with magic items costing 1 cent per energy point.

I've been thinking about doing mile-stone experience gain. When they've reached a mile-stone they get a lump sum.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:33 AM   #82
Boge

In a Fantasy we've been playing (straight up, not DF), we've been getting 2 per night. I think it's important for all players to be rewarded equally in order to avoid any hard feelings. We've been restricted on spending those points towards stats, advantages, or 1 point toward a skill used per night. It's worked out pretty well so far. I don't feel anyone is advancing at a too rapid pace, but it still feels there is character advancement.

If there is a significant time gap, we get like 2 or 3 character points per month that goes by which we can spend in a limited fashion as well.

Our characters are near the 300 point mark. I'm getting a little worried. I've never had a character that high. I'm starting to wish we were more limited, skills not really exceeding the 16 mark. I'm not a fan of really high numbers and deceptive strikes every attack.
Boge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 12:52 PM   #83
Black Leviathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boge View Post
Our characters are near the 300 point mark. I'm getting a little worried. I've never had a character that high. I'm starting to wish we were more limited, skills not really exceeding the 16 mark. I'm not a fan of really high numbers and deceptive strikes every attack.
Say no
Tell a player they've reached the limit of how far they can improve without significant experience, encourage them to find a weapon master or a manual of swordsmanship they can study. Realistically there are plateau's of ability you can accomplish doing the same thing over and over.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 01:35 PM   #84
mstlaurent

My campaigns I tend to hand out a blanket 1-4 points per session depending on how well the entire party did during that session. I also award specific bonus points for achievements during the session. For example, if a player accomplished a feat with a default roll on X skill during the session, it's, "And you can put an extra 1/2 point (or a whole point, depending on the skill) towards X skill as well." Or, if a player rolled to overcome a Disadvantage in a particularly heroic way, I may grant them bonus points specifically towards buying off that Disadvantage. I would penalize players points for infractions, and I have threatened to do so, but I have never had to take it that far.
mstlaurent is offline   Reply With Quote