Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-06-2005, 05:16 PM   #101
DryaUnda

Default Re: New Talents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sense of Duty (Kittens)
Define "Purely social", please.
You're not haggling; whether for a bargain, a political position, or your life. If you want to use this Talent for swaying someone to your side, use it on neutral people at social events (fairs, block parties, etc).
Old 08-08-2005, 05:44 PM   #102
Sense of Duty (Kittens)

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmachine
I contend that neither Diplomacy nor Theology are applicable. ... As for Theology, are you kidding me? Logic meets faith, supernatural forces, unchallangeable moral precepts?
Granted diplomacy may be more affective than I prefer to think, but logic has its place in Theology.

Pascal's conclusions about faith illustrate this very clearly.

Here's one from FMA.

Ed's Gift: Alchemy, Physiology, Chemistry, Architecture, Physics, Machinist.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:27 AM   #103
warmachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sense of Duty (Kittens)
Pascal's conclusions about faith illustrate this very clearly.
You must be thinking of Pascal's Wager. Ha, ha, ha!

No, seriously. If that's the extent of logic in Theology, then there's not enough scope for insight for even a brilliant logician to gain a bonus. Now, someone with an encyclopeadic memory could see all sorts of connections.

Air hostess: Would you like anything from the duty free trolley?
Tank Girl: Yes! I'd like everything that's bad for me!
- Tank Girl, Tank Girl 3
warmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 02:13 PM   #104
warmachine

Default Unstoppable!

Like a lot of my entries, this requires conditions. A skill listed with a condition only counts half for Talent cost and no learning bonus applies.

Blackguard: You see the dark desires that few people even admit to themselves. Just stay away from me. Skills: Body Language (violence and perversions only), Criminology (violent sociopaths and perverts only), Detect Lies (violence and perversions only), Interrogation (violence and perversions only), Intimidation, Leadership (undisciplined mob only), Performance (incitement to hatred only), Propaganda (incitement to hatred only), Psychology (violent sociopaths and perverts only), Public Speaking (incitement to hatred only), Sex Appeal (perverted subjects only). Reaction bonus: fascist demagogues, violent sociopaths and filthy hedonists. 5 points/level.

Just to make it clear: violent sociopaths means those who take a deep pleasure from violence, not mobsters who like to be brutal but are just doing it to make as much money as possible.

- Tank Girl, Tank Girl 3

Last edited by warmachine; 08-14-2005 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Needed Criminology and Psychology and further explanation.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:19 PM   #105
cmdicely

Quote:
As for Theology, are you kidding me? Logic meets faith, supernatural forces, unchallangeable moral precepts?
That's pretty much the definition of theology "logic meets faith, supernatural forces, and unchallengable moral precepts -- and attempts to wrangle them all into a coherent sensible order."

Anyhow, the axioms of any given religious system are no different, from the point of view of logic, than those of, say, Euclidean geometry.
cmdicely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 06:41 PM   #106
warmachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdicely
That's pretty much the definition of theology "logic meets faith, supernatural forces, and unchallengable moral precepts -- and attempts to wrangle them all into a coherent sensible order."

Anyhow, the axioms of any given religious system are no different, from the point of view of logic, than those of, say, Euclidean geometry.
I think the operative phrase is 'attempts to wrangle' with the qualifier 'badly'. The various theologies have been in terminal decline as an intellectual effort since the Age of Enlightenment. Principally by refusing to incorporate modern philosophies. The less said about the old testament, contraception or homosexuality, the better.

Mind you, you and Sense of Duty still have a point. Logic will still construct these archaic, moral philosophies. So. I withdraw my objection to Logician and Theology. Just don't say it's in the same league as Euclidean geometry.

- Tank Girl, Tank Girl 3
Old 09-10-2005, 04:35 PM   #107
warmachine

Default The immortal thread

Your cheers over the death of this thread are cut short by it's reanimation.

Child Empathy: When people grow up, they no longer understand a child's perspective but you haven't forgotten. Skills: Acting, Body Language, Detect Lies, Diplomacy, Fast Talk, Interrogation, Intimidation, Performance, Psychology and Teaching (children only in all cases). Reaction bonus: children and their stressed parents. 5 points/level.

- Tank Girl, Tank Girl 3

Last edited by warmachine; 09-10-2005 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Dammit! I can't believe I mispelled something.
Old 09-10-2005, 05:17 PM   #108
DryaUnda

Default Re: The immortal thread

Quote:
Your cheers over the death of this thread are cut short by it's re-animation.
I cheer its reanimation. :)

Quote:
Child Empathy:[...](children only in all cases).
You sure have a talent for Talents.

Would you define 'child'?
Old 09-10-2005, 06:20 PM   #109
warmachine

Default Re: The immortal thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryaUnda
Would you define 'child'?
I thought it'd be obvious. Someone who is too young to know enough about how people and society work and, thus, must have someone else look after their own finances, education, choice of friends, work relations or housekeeping. This can apply to adults but only the retarded, not ornamental people who qualify for Social Stigma (Valuable Property) who, at least, understand human relationships and motivations. This is an ambigious definition but the transition from childhood to adulthood is a gradual process. Some children can be forced to grow up faster than normal.

As a rule of thumb, I'd say this applies from ages 0 to 12 and half effect from 13-15. At age 16, they're naive adults.

- Tank Girl, Tank Girl 3
Old 09-11-2005, 12:50 AM   #110
Fabricati

Magic Fingers: You seem to have a knack for moving your hands in just the right way. Electronics Operation, Lockpicking, Photography (Manual SLRs only), Pickpocket, Erotic Art (DX only), Sleight of Hand, Typing, Hobby Skills, Musical Instrument, Knot-Tying, Gesture. Reaction Bonus: Those who appreciate fine control. 10/lvl.

Tags
house rules, talents