Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-31-2018, 11:57 AM   #11
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Default Re: [RoS/IW] Best AI ally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
Zone London was what sprung to mind for me.

Zone London is thinking deeply about something. Something that it doesn’t share with the other zone minds because they wouldn’t understand or wouldn’t accept the truth. It has deduced that parallel worlds and magic exist and has used that knowledge to make contact with the other side...
I have been considering the nightmare option: Zone London has found out about the Ancient Dead. It's "deep thought" is it struggling to analyze the data. It's so important that it has to figure it out and has no additional computational ability to interact.

Should it tell the other AI? Should it join the Ancient Dead? The Ancient Dead is so much more powerful than anything they can imagine. Must continue the calculations.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 01:25 PM   #12
mlangsdorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
I have been considering the nightmare option: Zone London has found out about the Ancient Dead.

Should it tell the other AI? Should it join the Ancient Dead? The Ancient Dead is so much more powerful than anything they can imagine. Must continue the calculations.
That's the small nightmare option.

The medium nightmare option is that Zone London has been partially subverted by the Ancient Dead, and the original processing cores have shut off most external functions while they attempt to purge the rest of the system of the Ancient Dead routines even as the Ancient Dead attempts to infect and subvert more systems.

The large nightmare option is that Zone London is a completely subverted minion of the Ancient Dead, and it's calculating the invocation to bring the Ancient Dead AI into the modern world and infect the rest of the Zone Minds.

Personally, I think the medium nightmare option has the best story potentials. Do the PCs want to ally with the Robocabal to defeat the Ancient Dead, or go at it alone? Is it worth the risk to try to rescue Zone London, or is it safer to just wreck it - realizing that if you wreck the wrong parts, the Ancient Dead might defeat Zone London before you finish destroying the hardware and then start infecting the other Zone Minds.
Old 10-31-2018, 05:30 PM   #13
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
Personally, I think the medium nightmare option has the best story potentials. Do the PCs want to ally with the Robocabal to defeat the Ancient Dead, or go at it alone? Is it worth the risk to try to rescue Zone London, or is it safer to just wreck it …
Depends on who the PCs are. For the RoS campaign I played, where the PCs were for the British SAS, we'd definitely be trying to save Zone London, because it leaves us alone and if it went, another zone would take over.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:43 PM   #14
Boomerang

Are Robomages and the Ancient Dead from a gurps sourcebook?
Old 11-01-2018, 01:22 AM   #15
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
That's the small nightmare option.
That's the only nightmare option. If London had been compromised, the Ancient Dead would already be there. They're familiar with the secret ways of the multiverse.

They're not as versed in them as the Hellions or Ancients, but, well . . . that would be telling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
Are Robomages and the Ancient Dead from a gurps sourcebook?
Nope.

The Robomages came from a 3d figure from Dutch Mogul, the Servitor Mage (link to Thingiverse) and my first Infinite Weirdos game. As this is a continuation of that game, the Cabal of Robomages came back. I liked the idea of having magic-using robots as a dimension traveling rival group.

The Ancient Dead are, basically, a heavily modified and expanded version of the Necrons from Warhammer 40,000, which were brought into my own mythology for my omniverse. They're the Necrons+Daleks+Cybermen+Q.

(John Wick's 3rd commandment: steal good ideas from other media and make them your own.)
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 07:33 PM   #16
droid17

Location: technicaly inside Caracas zonemind and very near the border between Caracas and Mexico zone

Quote:
Brisbane would be first on my list. Brisbane is all about the weird science, and technomagic is weird science.

I don't see what Paris has to offer, except maybe as a friendly contact to other AIs. Same with Orbital and Luna: neither of them offer anything that you don't already have.
i think Paris zonemind AI because it believe that ONLY a machine civilization on space universe would be advance enough on space to contact back the AI's back on earth.

"Human sexuality is a kind of distortion field that keeps us from seeing reality and logic clearly" -anonymus.
droid17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:37 AM   #17
Culture20

Mark Skarr: I don’t know if you’ve ever played an older game named Star Control 3, but the Daktaklakpaks might provide potential inspiration for Ancient Dead servitor AIs a la Meego.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote