Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-04-2018, 06:44 PM   #51
jason taylor

Default Re: Stretching the bounds of typical fantasy races -OR- What makes an elf?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post

I've tended to consider his elves divergent from their source material in not being a pack of terrifyingly unpredictable psychopaths ... I grant you the reversion from the Victorian nonsense, but he's still a long way from most Anglo-Scottish mythos, likewise Scandinavian Troll-lore. I suppose if he had been aiming for Irish Tuatha we might have a point ... because they match his elves reasonably well.
Chaotic Neutrality did not fit with the Tolkien franchise well. The first edition of Broken Sword was written at the time(it was sent back because fantasy was out of fashion then) and had elves a bit like that.

Tolkien's elves do have Irish counterparts. Russian ones too. There were a few other's. If I remember reading Gurps Faerie "White Ladies" have some characteristics like that. The "Fair Folk" is subverted in Tolkien, as men of Gondor and Rohan think elves are like that.

Actually the predominant element of elves before the Victorian ones was not so much evil(that's as may be)but wildness and mystery. It is not so much that they are hostile as you cannot tell what they will be because they are to strange to you.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:57 AM   #52
tanksoldier

Default Re: Stretching the bounds of typical fantasy races -OR- What makes an elf?

In the Traveller settings I’ve always thought of the Darrians as Space Elves... and Sword Worlds as Space Orks... both are human cultures but they fill those niches.

In any setting Elves appear unpredictable to outsiders not because they actually are capricious but because they make their decisions on a different, unknown, set of premises and values.
tanksoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 01:39 PM   #53
Phantasm

I'm probably repeating myself from another thread, but when I make racial templates, I try to list a bunch of "Common Traits" that are not automatically part of the template itself, and hence don't count toward the template cost, but are likely to be encountered among a sampling of average members of the race.

For a Dwarf, the Common Traits would include Greedy, Loner, the Pickaxe Penchant, Business Acumen, and Artificer Talents, the Axe/Mace and Two-Handed Axe/Mace skills, and the Sure-Footed perk, among others.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 02:00 PM   #54
tanksoldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post

For a Dwarf, the Common Traits would include Greedy, Loner, the Pickaxe Penchant, Business Acumen, and Artificer Talents, the Axe/Mace and Two-Handed Axe/Mace skills, and the Sure-Footed perk, among others.
...and Quirk: “ Bad Scottish Accent”
Old 04-05-2018, 02:09 PM   #55
Flyndaran
Untagged

That is a weird trope. At least England and Wales have loads of Elvish myths. Scotland isn't known for many Dwarven myths that I know of.
Mostly, I thought Germany and Scandinavia were chock full of them.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:34 PM   #56
tanksoldier

Quote:
At least England and Wales have loads of Elvish myths. Scotland isn't known for many Dwarven myths that I know of.
In the US at least Scotsmen are thought of as miserly, good engineers, good brawlers and a bit off... which is how most fantasy dwarves are portrayed.

It’s less about what Scotsmen think of dwarves and more about what we think of Scotsmen.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:46 PM   #57
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
...and Quirk: “ Bad Scottish Accent”
My Dwarves are more German and Norwegian than Scots. No haggis for them.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 02:48 PM   #58
Stormcrow

The origin of the stereotypical Scottish dwarf has been much debated online. Poul Anderson used one in his book Three Hearts and Three Lions. That is, so far as I can tell, the earliest attested version, though whether he spawned the whole thing or it was reinvented again later I don't know.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 03:05 PM   #59
RyanW

Quote:
It’s less about what Scotsmen think of dwarves and more about what we think of Scotsmen.
I think I may incorporate some Glaswegian stereotype into my dwarves going forward. Incredibly friendly, but they tend to measure their friendships by how many teeth they've knocked out of one another.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:07 PM   #60
Randyman

Quote:
In the Traveller settings I’ve always thought of the Darrians as Space Elves... and Sword Worlds as Space Orks... both are human cultures but they fill those niches.

In any setting Elves appear unpredictable to outsiders not because they actually are capricious but because they make their decisions on a different, unknown, set of premises and values.
I've always heard the Sword Worlders referred to as "Space Dwarves". And your latter description of Elves has been discussed here and elsewhere as "Blue/Orange morality", a take on Elves that I personally favor.

"(GURPS) isn't a game but a toolkit for building games, and the GM needs to use it intelligently" - Kromm
Randyman is offline   Reply With Quote