Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 06-19-2020, 07:38 AM   #81
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Has COVID hit your gaming?

We resumed face-to-face gaming almost 2 weeks ago and have another session
scheduled for tomorrow.

Nobody was showing any symptoms 2 weeks ago and if nobody's sick tomorrow that should prove no one was infectious 2 weeks ago.
Old 07-10-2020, 09:55 AM   #82
alendrew11

Not in the long run, at first I was really depressed and didn't play at all but now everything seems going back to normal. :)
alendrew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 01:01 PM   #83
Shostak

The shift to playing on a VTT instead of traveling means that each time we play, I save 3 hours of commuting and over 100 miles of fuel & wear-and-tear on my car. I miss being at the table with the gang, but it is going to be hard to go back.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 03:42 PM   #84
Evil Roy Slade

My group shifted to Roll20. One player who has historically usually been the guy who turns up an hour late ("it's just a game -- I dunno why you are all so worked up about it") and who prides himself on not knowing any of the mechanics ("what dice to I roll to swing again?") turned up to an online session naked and drunk. I pointed out that we had a new player joining us and maybe she did not want to see his parts hanging out. He grumbled that the camera was pointing upward but eventually consented to put on a shirt.
Evil Roy Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 04:24 PM   #85
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Roy Slade View Post
He grumbled that the camera was pointing upward but eventually consented to put on a shirt.
I think what you have is one extra player you could get rid of.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 05:13 PM   #86
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
I miss being at the table with the gang, but it is going to be hard to go back.
My group made that same switch in reverse, by choice, pre-COVID. It's hard for any VTT / video chat system to really match face-to-face. We're doing VTT now, and it does have those travel time advantages (if less extreme in our case), but still not quite as good.

The one thing that doesn't work well in our experience is a mixed group -- half the players at the table, with one or two remote. It's really hard for the remote players to remain engaged by the rest of the group. Plus, you start to get technical issues for miking and camera placement that mean you start to need actual AV production skills and gear. (You know, those skills most of those "watch us play D&D" videos on YouTube don't have :) One mike on the table and one fixed camera can't really carry the load. Wil Wheaton can round up a gaffer, director, sound tech, and PA to manage it all, but that's a bit much for most of us, even if those jobs are all second hats for the players.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 07:06 PM   #87
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
My group made that same switch in reverse, by choice, pre-COVID. It's hard for any VTT / video chat system to really match face-to-face. We're doing VTT now, and it does have those travel time advantages (if less extreme in our case), but still not quite as good.
We did 3 sessions on Skype at the height of the lockdown though only after going without long enough to get desperate.

I couldn't even "attend" the first of those because my computer gear was inadequate and for the other two minor techical issues were constant. Soem may have been part of the learning curve ("don't eat really crunchy potato chips while wearing a headset and mike") but others like dropped connections were probably unavoidable.

There may also have been troubles setting up each session. I never took part in that but it was at the request of the people who did do the set-up that we went back to face-to-face even though this ends up averaging out to a 1 hour commute for everyone.

We also played a very rules light system with unmapped combat. For mapped systems with detailed move rules what we used would have been problematic.

I'm ready to try again but I'm also fine with face-to-face.
Old 09-14-2020, 12:49 PM   #88
arandathor

I raised this in a thread on VTT in relation to Covid 19 and gaming virtually.

Will SJG look at the possibility of licensing the game to be played via VTT such as Roll20 or FG?

Reading the various replies above, I see lots of people trying different virtual options such as Skype.

From a health perspective, the in-person gaming may be affected for some time with Covid 19. Not that in Canada we are forbidden from meeting in person, but encouraged to maintain physical distancing/masking, etc. However, I do think virtual gaming is the responsible way to game in this current period.

I'm speaking from my ignorance of things licensing for VTT platforms. Perhaps it is such an enormous undertaking as to not be economically viable for SJG?
arandathor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:37 PM   #89
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by arandathor View Post
Will SJG look at the possibility of licensing the game to be played via VTT such as Roll20 or FG?
While there is no official support for Roll20, I do find the fan support there very helpful. I've been using it for years and really appreciate how the character sheet is set up and updated.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:46 PM   #90
trooper6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
While there is no official support for Roll20, I do find the fan support there very helpful. I've been using it for years and really appreciate how the character sheet is set up and updated.
In contrast, the main reason I'm running my French Resistance campaign in FATE and not in GURPS is because I don't find the Roll20 sheet good for new players. The lack of official support means everything must be hand entered on the player's part. And the GM has to enter in a lot of details themselves. It makes GURPS look a lot more complicated than it is for newbies. The games with official support end up being much easier sells for new people and make it easier to teach to new players. I end up live streaming (and therefore advertising) on average 5 RPGs a week...and I have played and GM'd in a wide variety of systems since I started live-streaming. And none of them have been GURPS. I would like to run GURPS...but the lack of Roll20 support means it is almost always more practical to run something else. If I had a group of player who all knew GURPS already and who didn't mind doing most things by hand, maybe. But I want to introduce new people to GURPS. And because I livestream and the circles I'm in are almost exclusively Roll20 based, this is a problem for my ability to recruit new people to GURPS. I've talked about this for years now...no joy.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gaming, illness