Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-25-2017, 04:44 AM   #31
Mathulhu

Default Re: Reluctant Killer and Grenades

Ignoring reluctant killer for a moment.

Is there a penalty for attacking a person/location in a trench that you can't see but are aware of?

If there is then wouldn't that penalty overwhelm the penalty from reluctant killer regardless of the presence of a victim. In the same way the difficulty for adjusting for speed (yards) can be insignificant when the target is a long way (10s of yards) away.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:00 AM   #32
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathulhu View Post
Ignoring reluctant killer for a moment.

Is there a penalty for attacking a person/location in a trench that you can't see but are aware of?

If there is then wouldn't that penalty overwhelm the penalty from reluctant killer regardless of the presence of a victim. In the same way the difficulty for adjusting for speed (yards) can be insignificant when the target is a long way (10s of yards) away.
No, they would be cumulative...except of course that there's no way you could simultaneously suffer a penalty for aiming at a target you can't see and for aiming at a person you can see, of course.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:18 AM   #33
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
"an opponent you do not believe is a person" makes me wonder how this would work with someone with the delusion "everyone except me and my close friends are holograms"
That's a Disadvantage that would likely lead a GM to award few if any points for Reluctant Killer, but otherwise it should work exactly the way you probably are thinking.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:02 AM   #34
jason taylor

Quote:
"an opponent you do not believe is a person" makes me wonder how this would work with someone with the delusion "everyone except me and my close friends are holograms"
That's an extreme version of what actually happens. Many people compartmentalize their "fighting self" and their "everyday self" so that when they are on the job they can shoot at uniforms rather then people but not have hard feelings afterwords. This is made easier by the fact that few soldiers are actually in a position see their opposite numbers as people which is why snipers have such a reputation for being cold-blooded. Snipers actually do shoot at enemies when they are being people.

But this describes a fictive delusion deliberately constructed to enable duty rather then a real one. For someone who actually believes that everyone outside their circle is a hologram(and presumably that the world is a virtual reality) one can give such things as OPH. It would make him be annoying to anyone he marked as an NPC. If his belief was murderous that could make him a very dangerous person and would probably give him Enemy sooner or later.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:55 AM   #35
Varyon

Quote:
Any Delusion or other trait that should logically affect the way Reluctant Killer works would cause me to take a good look at the worth of RK. Arguably the best way to do it would be to give the character Reluctant Killer, then an Advantage that negated it, with an Accessibility to only apply to the appropriate group. An anti-Semitic extremist with Delusion: Jews are demons (i.e. not people) who also had Reluctant Killer would have Delusion, Reluctant Killer, and Negated Disadvantage: Reluctant Killer (Only against Jews -40%*), for example. Someone who thought nobody but (some of) his allies were actually people would just have the Delusion, as RK and the negating Advantage are of equal worth (anything that affects 94% or more of the population is -0%). You might be able to justify his RK as a Quirk, however.

*I used the numbers for the US. Other settings will have different populations, which might need adjustment - most of the Middle East outside of Israel has Jews at or below one in 10,000, for -50%, while there are a few countries with Jews at or below one in a million, for -60%; Israel, meanwhile, has Jews at somewhere around 75%, for only -10%. For the world as a whole, Jews are around 1 in 500, which also fits the US -40%.

Last edited by Varyon; 05-25-2017 at 12:00 PM.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 12:09 PM   #36
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Any Delusion or other trait that should logically affect the way Reluctant Killer works would cause me to take a good look at the worth of RK. Arguably the best way to do it would be to give the character Reluctant Killer, then an Advantage that negated it, with an Accessibility to only apply to the appropriate group. An anti-Semitic extremist with Delusion: Jews are demons (i.e. not people) who also had Reluctant Killer would have Delusion, Reluctant Killer, and Negated Disadvantage: Reluctant Killer (Only against Jews -40%*), for example. Someone who thought nobody but (some of) his allies were actually people would just have the Delusion, as RK and the negating Advantage are of equal worth (anything that affects 94% or more of the population is -0%). You might be able to justify his RK as a Quirk, however.

*I used the numbers for the US. Other settings will have different populations, which might need adjustment - most of the Middle East outside of Israel has Jews at or below one in 10,000, for -50%, while there are a few countries with Jews at or below one in a million, for -60%; Israel, meanwhile, has Jews at somewhere around 75%, for only -10%. For the world as a whole, Jews are around 1 in 500, which also fits the US -40%.
A lot depends on whether or not the character is likely to meet a Jew in the course of his activities. What is merely obnoxious to someone cloistered can be dangerous to someone in regular contact with Jews.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:15 PM   #37
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Someone who thought nobody but (some of) his allies were actually people would just have the Delusion, as RK and the negating Advantage are of equal worth (anything that affects 94% or more of the population is -0%). You might be able to justify his RK as a Quirk, however.
Sense of Duty: One person is -2. Not only will you out right Not Kill this person, you help them, care for them, and protect them from other people trying to kill them.

Merely being reluctant to kill one person and having no other sense of duty seems below the quirk threshold to me.

Sense of Duty: My Adventuring Party or other tiny group is -5 points.

I think it would take more than your average PC party size to get a whole point. If you're talking about pretty much all of someones monkeysphere, but never strangers, that's probably OK as a Quirk; anonymous goons won't be protected, but you'll be reluctant to use lethal violence even against hated personal foes because you know them.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pacifism