Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-07-2021, 07:19 PM   #21
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

Default Re: [DF] Spellcasting in Heavy Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
I've always assumed that a wand or staff, as long as it's enchanted with the Staff spell, can be used to gesture with. How else do you channel spells through a staff for that sweet range extension, after all?
IIRC, the Staff spell simply extends your "touch" reach the length of the Staff.

So you're just poking them with the wand or staff or rod. That's all.

If I'm correct, that is.
Old 03-07-2021, 07:34 PM   #22
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say, it isn't that bad! View Post

What that tells me is that a sufficiently-strong half-ogre mage could have access to all of the magic items in a pack mule's packs, and I think that image is worth noting.
Hah! Of course, "power item" and "magic item" play by different rules. You generally have to use magic items, whereas you can get away with merely carrying power items.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 07:49 PM   #23
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
IIRC, the Staff spell simply extends your "touch" reach the length of the Staff.

So you're just poking them with the wand or staff or rod. That's all.

If I'm correct, that is.
No, the spell effectively starts that the end of the 'staff'. See B240, "Magic Staffs", and M13, "Magic Staffs" (an extension of the box in Characters).

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 09:39 PM   #24
Hide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
[B] (...) As a bonus answer: If your weapon counts as a Staff, you can use it not only to gesture, but also to reduce distance to your subject. With Regular spells, this is like a free (in terms of points) +1 or +2 to skill. That's the single biggest reason to carry such an item. And no, it doesn't matter if your Staff item is your power item.
Amazing! Out of curiosity, can I employ a quarterstaff for this? (taking LOTR Saruman's staff as an example). That would mean I could discard akimbo for the gestures.
Old 03-08-2021, 08:51 AM   #25
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I suppose there is one more concern for a spellcaster in heavy gear, and that's FP lost to encumbrance. That's a minor concern, but its one to be aware of if you're trekking around carrying what amounts to a small palisade. Casters do need their FP available, after all...

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 08:59 AM   #26
Polkageist

Yeah but then you get swole
Polkageist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 01:26 PM   #27
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
As a bonus answer: If your weapon counts as a Staff, you can use it not only to gesture, but also to reduce distance to your subject. With Regular spells, this is like a free (in terms of points) +1 or +2 to skill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
So you're just poking them with the wand or staff or rod. That's all. If I'm correct, that is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
No, the spell effectively starts that the end of the 'staff'.
See B240, "Magic Staffs", and M13, "Magic Staffs"
(an extension of the box in Characters).
Given that they are separate bullets, the "counts as touch" and "reduces range" could be separate ideas, even though it's tempting to think of them as a single idea.

If "pointing a 2y staff reduces range by 2y" only worked because "the tip of my staff functions like my finger for spell purposes" (ie bullet 2 derives from bullet 1) then we should also expect to see staffless mages with 3-yard-long arms able to cast Regular spells at targets 5y from them at merely a -2 penalty instead of the usual -5.

Long-armed mages wielding staffs is also an interesting concept...

"reduces the range to a distant subject by the length of the staff" is -2y for a 2y staff... but what if you have something which increases the functional Reach of your weapon?

B53 Long enhancement for Extra Arm for example "increases your effective SM for the purpose of calculating reach with that arm" which references B402, and "does affect the reach of melee weapons wielded in that hand."

Increasing the Reach of a staff doesn't literally increase it's LENGTH of course... yes you can get the tip of your staff closer to something but that's because the hand at the tip of your long arm is holding the proximal handle further from your torso/head.

The most basic question is what SM+2 (overall or just arms) does, since that imparts +1 to Reach universally.

I guess also SM+1 for touch spells, since that reduces C-range touches to Reach 1.

If you're normally -1 to skill with a Regular Spell to cast at something in an adjacent yard, you can avoid the -1 by reaching out your arm to touch it?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote