Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 08-31-2018, 09:12 AM   #1
Shadekeep

Default TFT Map Maker

First off, sorry if this belongs in House Rules, and please move it there if so.

Coming off the various discussions about making dungeon maps for TFT, over the past week I've bashed together a proof-of-concept for just such a tool. It's a web-based application that should work in most browsers (though I've not tested it in mobile browsers, and they would be a pain to do this kind of design work in anyway). You can check it out here:

https://shadekeep.com/shamat.html

Most of the functions should work, though there are still quirks. And it doesn't yet support loading saved map files, so don't do any mission-critical work in this.

Basically I want to see if there is any utility value in a tool like this, before I sink any more effort into it. Please share your feedback!

PS - Be sure to check the Help tab for more information on the various features.

Last edited by Shadekeep; 07-02-2019 at 09:30 AM. Reason: updated the link
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 09:14 AM   #2
Terquem

Default Re: TFT Map Maker

That looks like a fun tool to play around with. I am going to have to check it out when I have more time

Thanks
Terquem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 10:41 AM   #3
larsdangly

Holy crap, this is great. Thanks very much for putting this together! It is just the sort of thing we need to merge TFT mapping conventions and normal human mapping.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 11:34 AM   #4
Shadekeep

Thanks for the responses! I'm planning some near-term changes to improve it. For one, I want to make it so that whenever you change the drawing tool that it reverts to the Whole hex brush. I keep getting caught out doing individual half-hexes and then inadvertently drawing the next filled rectangle with them.
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 01:58 PM   #5
JLV

I've been avoiding commenting on this forum, but I want to STRONGLY encourage you to continue work on this -- it's superb!
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 04:21 PM   #6
Chris Rice

This looks very promising. Would it be possible to have icons or images for map features such as; mountains, castles, rivers etc.

I've tried using mapping software before but gave up because of the time consuming complexity. However, this appears very user friendly.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 10:01 PM   #7
ConfusedDad

Okay, I'm having fun with this. Pretty easy to use. Thanks for putting it up on the forum.
ConfusedDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 10:53 PM   #8
fisherro

Awesome!

I especially like the way you can combine multiple tiles to create more complex shapes.

I quickly found myself wanting the two missing “bulk” tiles. And then the rotations of the half-hex tiles. I wonder if it would be better to be able to separately select a rotation instead of having to have up to six copies of each type.

And I do wish it worked better on my iPad.
fisherro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 09:19 AM   #9
malchidael

This is awesome! Good work!
malchidael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 09:29 AM   #10
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

I do dnot pretend to a lot of experience with draw programs, but this looks interesting for building labyrinth maps. I have commended it to the attention of those more knowledgeable than myself . . .
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote