Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-24-2018, 12:51 PM   #1
zot

Default Reactions to the new staff spells

These are really interesting. I think the 5 levels of Staff spell will become definitive for wizard characters, meaning that the level of Staff spell will be key in starting wizard character designs. They seem a little powerful at this point...

Comparing a wizard with the new staff to a fighter:

Staff of Striking is readily available to 32-point wizards and functions like a pole arm with DX 16 (minus charge attacks). It's definitely better than a spear and against chain armor or greater, it's better than a halberd.

Staff of Power's free attack lets the wizard attack twice per turn, with one attack at essentially DX 18+ (IQ+3) and the other attack at normal DX.

Staff of Mastery is better than a pike axe against chain or better and has an effective minimum DX of 20 (IQ+3). Head shots would be the norm, I would think, since they are effectively at adj DX 14.

Last edited by zot; 07-24-2018 at 02:07 PM. Reason: clarification
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 02:12 PM   #2
Dave Crowell

Default Re: Reactions to the new staff spells

A free action, two-hex range, omni-directional, auto-hit, armour piercing, one die attack that is immune to Drop Weapon and Break Weapon? Yes, please!

Don't Melee a Wizard!
Dave Crowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 02:15 PM   #3
tbeard1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot View Post
These are really interesting. I think the 5 levels of Staff spell will become definitive for wizard characters. They seem a little powerful at this point...

Comparing a wizard with the new staff to a fighter:

Staff of Striking is readily available to 32-point wizards and functions like a pole arm with DX 16 (minus charge attacks). It's definitely better than a spear and against chain armor or greater, it's better than a halberd.

Staff of Power's free attack lets the wizard attack twice per turn, with one attack at essentially DX 18+ (IQ+3) and the other attack at normal DX.

Staff of Mastery is better than a pike axe against chain or better and has an effective minimum DX of 20 (IQ+3). Head shots would be the norm, I would think, since they are effectively at adj DX 14.
Obviously, they need playtesting. But I'm very concerned about aimed shots. 1d+2 of occult damage will KO an opponent 2/3 of the time, regardless of normal armor and shields. If, as you intuit, the DX roll is 14-, then a wizard will have a ~60% chance of knocking out an opponent each turn. And the wizard will have a 90% chance of making his foe drop his weapon, drop to a kneeling position, etc. At 2 hex range.

That seems a bit powerful to me. An easy fix would be to disallow aimed shots with Wizard staffs.
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 02:17 PM   #4
tbeard1999

One quibble. I've never liked the rule about staffs exploding or doing damage if touched. But if they're gonna be kept, could we please make it clear that you can't throw a staff at a target and it explode if it hits?

My ruling was always "no, because when you throw it at someone, you WANT it to hit, therefore they aren't touching it against your will." But it would be nice to include that explicitly in the rules.
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 02:21 PM   #5
Dave Crowell

Where is the 1d+2 damage coming from?

The 4th paragraph of the introduction states 1d+2 damage, but the spell descriptions only give 1 die of damage under the Staff spell. There is no boost to damage given with higher level staff spells.

Which damage is correct?

Edit: Thanks to Zot for pointing it out to me, several readings and I still managed to miss it.

Last edited by Dave Crowell; 07-24-2018 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:24 PM   #6
Dave Crowell

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeard1999 View Post
One quibble. I've never liked the rule about staffs exploding or doing damage if touched. But if they're gonna be kept, could we please make it clear that you can't throw a staff at a target and it explode if it hits?

My ruling was always "no, because when you throw it at someone, you WANT it to hit, therefore they aren't touching it against your will." But it would be nice to include that explicitly in the rules.
It is now in the rules "If anyone other than the owner of a staff picks it up against the owner’s will, it explodes, doing the fool who touched it 3 dice damage." So just throwing it at someone is not enough to trigger the explosion. I would even rule that if you threw it at someone and they caught it that wouldn't be against your will by the letter of the rules.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:27 PM   #7
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Crowell View Post
Where is the 1d+2 damage coming from?

The 4th paragraph of the introduction states 1d+2 damage, but the spell descriptions only give 1 die of damage under the Staff spell. There is no boost to damage given with higher level staff spells.

Which damage is correct?
IQ 17 Staff V (Staff of Mastery)
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 02:34 PM   #8
guymc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeard1999 View Post
That seems a bit powerful to me. An easy fix would be to disallow aimed shots with Wizard staffs.
My view of Wizard Staff attacks is they do damage by releasing a surge of magical energy into the foe. As such, my own preference is that they not be usable for aimed shots at all.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:41 PM   #9
Dave Crowell

At least Staff of Mastery is out of reach for a starting human wizard.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:45 PM   #10
larsdangly

These are pretty powerful, but keep in mind that if you have IQ 17 it means your total for ST and DX can't be more than 23 under any circumstances; i.e., wizards powerful enough to have a Staff of Mastery are going to be pretty deficient at a lot of other things.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote