Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-27-2018, 10:17 AM   #1
The Wyzard

Default Hex & Chit Scaling

So, there's one part of this KS/Reboot that I think is a mistake, as opposed to a matter of preference. And that's having 1" scale hex sheets (and chits/counters) along with a 1.5" playmat.

While the smaller chits can easily be used on the playmat, multihex monsters such as the seven-hex dragon are not going to sit on the hexes the way they should, due to their "legs" not being far enough apart, etc.

Further, your fanbase is trending over 40 at this point, and many of our eyes are not what they were when we were teenagers pushing tiny cardboard chits around.

I think you need to scale the hex sheets and the counters all up to 1.5" scale, make them graphically vivid, and generally show mercy on the dice-chucking greybeards that are buying this stuff.

Also, printing a game with bits that aren't intercompatible seems short-sighted.
The Wyzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 10:27 AM   #2
Jim Kane
Banned

Default Re: Hex & Chit Scaling

Speaking as a Degraded Reading-Vision person, I find your idea interesting; if not downright merciful. Thank you.

They may have a problem doing the larger scale *and* keeping the Melee map on a legal-sized piece of paper. So unless they are willing to scale-up the overall size of the paper, it may not be in the best interest of production from a cost/benefit point of view.

JK

Last edited by Jim Kane; 07-27-2018 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Typo
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 10:41 AM   #3
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wyzard View Post
So, there's one part of this KS/Reboot that I think is a mistake, as opposed to a matter of preference. And that's having 1" scale hex sheets (and chits/counters) along with a 1.5" playmat.
The playmats are specifically for those who were asking for the Melee and Wizard maps in a larger scale, so that they can use Cardboard Heroes or miniatures with the game.

The Melee and Wizard maps, as well as the counter sheets and megahexes, are all scaled for the wide distribution release of the game. The playmats will not be offered to distributors, and scaling those game components up to 1.5x their size would dramatically affect costs, including shipping costs to backers.

The playmats are premium items for when you want to run a big and flashy battle. The reason the playmats are illustrated, and not the basic hexes of the Melee and Wizard maps, is so that players can have a more elaborate game surface whenever they want to run a skirmish or, at times, a convention game or one-shot.

If the project does well, and if there is demand, I could see us producing more large playmats for the fans of bigger battles. The core product, though, must stick to smaller hexes if it is to stay at the planned prices.

It is possible we could push those measurements slightly, but a full 1.5x the size is not possible.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 10:44 AM   #4
Terquem

If? we get PDF files of the counter sheets, which I think is the plan, you can print them to card stock, along with printing larger maps, at any size you want. Sure that's out of your wallet, but you can decide what size counter you really want

Hmmmm - life sized 7-hex dragon counter?
Terquem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 10:46 AM   #5
JLV

Plus, while I personally certainly appreciate the larger stuff for my tired, 58 year-old eyes, I think they are hoping to expand their fan base beyond us old codgers! ;-)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 10:47 AM   #6
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terquem View Post
If? we get PDF files of the counter sheets, which I think is the plan . . .
Yes, that is part of the plan.

We can also explore some stretch goals for megahex sheets at the 1.5-inch scale, but those would be later stretches; we've already committed to the existing size for the already-unlocked sheets.

We'll keep looking at numbers.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:50 AM   #7
Terquem

I have a question about those Hex "sheets"

Can someone clue us in on exactly what sort of material they are mad out of? Is it flexible, stiff? What is the thickness? Is there a similar product we can look at that might help us get a feel for them.
Old 07-27-2018, 11:20 AM   #8
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Can someone clue us in on exactly what sort of material they are mad out of? Is it flexible, stiff? What is the thickness? Is there a similar product we can look at that might help us get a feel for them.
If you're referring to the playmats, check any number of boardgame, card game, or CCG playmats on the market.

If you mean the unlocked megahex sheets, check out the Ogre counter sheets.
Old 07-27-2018, 11:29 AM   #9
Terquem

Yes, hex sheets, not play mats

So like a type of plasti-card
Old 07-27-2018, 11:31 AM   #10
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Yes, hex sheets, not play mats

So like a type of plasti-card
Chipboard, a paper product, and UV coated for use with dry erase markers. The sheets are not plastic.