Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 06-21-2018, 04:11 AM   #1
Chris Rice

Default Modular Death Test

With the imminent rebirth of the game (yay!) I'm revisiting the original rules for the first time in many years, in fact I've been using the same set of 1977 Melee rules that Steve recently demonstrated.

I created a number of rooms (a la "Death Test") to run players through. Some of these proved too easy (Goblin archer room) and some far too deadly (Giant Spider room!) but it was fun and the players liked the different tactical challenges each room presented.

This got me thinking, Death Test style dungeons are essentially modular in design anyway, so perhaps we could all create our favourite rooms, submit them and Steve could compile the best into a fan created death Test 3 or something of that sort. I'm sure the Hive mind could come up with some great ideas!
Chris Rice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:39 AM   #2
pyratejohn

Default Re: Modular Death Test

Good idea! I'd be up for that!
Old 06-21-2018, 04:43 AM   #3
Jim Kane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
...This got me thinking, Death Test style dungeons are essentially modular in design anyway, so perhaps we could all create our favourite rooms, submit them and Steve could compile the best into a fan created death Test 3 or something of that sort. I'm sure the Hive mind could come up with some great ideas!
Chris, this is another brilliant idea you are having! Are you eating a lot of fish lately, so something? ;-)

Perhaps another way to go with your fan-submitted Death Test Rooms, would be as a monthly feature for whatever the new communication vehicle for TFT will be - like the equivalent of a regular monthly dedicated feature would have been in TSG - where a single new room is chosen and published for a given month...

At the end of each year, you have enough rooms (12) for completely new Death Test, and then the company could print and release it as a *new* Death Test product with the appropriate counter-sheet.

JK
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:02 AM   #4
Shostak

That's 8 tentacles up from my octopus man, Chris!
Shostak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:10 AM   #5
Tolenkar

Smashing idea, Chris. I have a few ideas I could add. I'll start eating more fish so that I can finish the ideas.

Respectfully,
Tolenkar
Old 06-21-2018, 02:04 PM   #6
JLV

This is a truly excellent idea, Chris! I'd love to see something like this get under way!
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:03 PM   #7
Chris Rice

OK. Here's an example I thought up but haven't had a chance to playtest. It was designed to give my puny Goblin archers a bit more bite. Any comments appreciated.

The Goblin River

The room is the standard 13 megahex Melee map. The characters must enter on one (short) side of the map and must leave on the other.

When the characters enter, they hear the sound of running water. Cutting across the room and filling the 3 central megahexes, is a fast flowing stream. The far side of the room is covered by debris and shadow. If the characters take time to investigate, they will find that the floor near the water is slippery with weed and slime. Probing the water with a long object will reveal that the water is about knee-deep but very fast flowing. It is acceptable to tell the players that it is slippery and very dangerous to cross (3d roll).

Any character entering one of the water hexes must make a 3d roll v DEX. If they fail the roll, they fall and are swept along by the current and out of the room to an unknown fate. They can only attempt to enter one water hex each turn. They may not Dodge whilst entering or leaving a tee hex.

Waiting in the shadows on the other side of the room are the Goblin guards. They have been told they must prevent intruders getting through this room at all costs.

Goblins ST9 DX10 MA10, Club 1d6, Short Bow 1d6-1, no armour. There will be 1 Goblin for each character in the adventuring party.

The Goblins will wait until at least one of the characters has begun to cross the river before they attack. Their tactics are as follows:

As soon as a character has entered a water hex, they will all open fire on that character with their short bows hoping to overcome them with many arrows. They will continue this tactic until a heavily armoured character (3 or more points of armour) manages to cross. At this point they will drop their bows, draw their clubs and charge that character. If the adventurers use Missile weapons the Goblins will either remain totally behind cover or return fire from partial cover which gives anyone shooting at them -2DX. Which option they choose will be up to the GM but should be aimed at giving them maximum advantage.

If the players think to send a character across secured to a rope that will not prevent the character falling, but will prevent them being swept away. They can regain their feet next turn and continue.

The players may think of removing their armour or another innovative tactics. It will be up to the GM to decide on the efficacy of these ideas.

Last edited by Chris Rice; 06-21-2018 at 05:00 PM.
Chris Rice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:34 PM   #8
marctabyanan

I’m in. Great idea...
marctabyanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:40 PM   #9
luguvalium

An "Escape Room" no large opponents, just random boxes and traps. You didn't bring a thief with you? Good Luck.

Some boxes contain useful items, some contain a flock of piranhakeets. The floor is sand, or maybe quicksand. Maybe the floor is lava under those thin boards.

Steve Jackson may freely use this idea.

Last edited by luguvalium; 06-24-2018 at 09:22 PM.
luguvalium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:21 PM   #10
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

I will happily look, with the caveat: Please don't post anything unless you are giving me permission to use it, with proper credit given, of course.

The most transportable designs would be on a MELEE or WIZARD map, though parts could be designated as blocked off.

Sometime, on some map, I want a tavern named the Sullen Fish.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote