Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 10-20-2018, 08:00 PM   #51
hcobb

Default Re: Because only a Halfling could forge the one-ring in the first place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Interestingly, if you run the math on some simple items, and pay guild rates for the apprentices and wizards, and assume all the rolls are made, you end up with a cost to create an item that is approximately half the listed price.
Guild rates are way off. Shopping list for any decent munchkin:

Put 11 ST into your Mana staff: Hire 3 apprentices for $2 each and pay another $55 for the ST. Total cost is $61

8 die Explosive Gem: $50 + $4 to hire the wizard + $40 in ST is $94.

Five levels of Conceal for your hidden dagger staff: $3 wizard + $62 in ST is $65

And a Glamor spell for a mere $14.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:12 PM   #52
ecz

Quote:
Are you saying this was a house rule you added, or do you (mis-?)read the rule this way, or am I missing something.

Yes, that was an house rule I created in early 90' that goes in the same direction of the actual rule. As I said in another discussion, our playing group decided to make harder and longer the magic item creation process to avoid any farmer had his enchanted weapon.

for the same reason (avoid any low-middle class worker had the money to buy magical items too easily) we lowered the basic pay for most jobs.
And made monthly the risk roll to stop any attribute gain inflation
Old 10-20-2018, 10:06 PM   #53
ecz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
No, obviously you should figure out the length of the beard, cross-reference the Hair Coarseness number, figure out whether magical fire burns any hotter than regular fire, and then consult the Damage From Burning Beard Hair Table to figure out how many dice to roll and how long the beard will burn . . .

Or you could wing it.

TFT is a game where "wing it" is almost always the correct answer for the situations not already contemplated in the rules. Phil's point, at the risk of paraphrasing my boss, is that we are going to resist quite aggressively the idea that TFT should become a game with 100 splatbooks covering everything from harlotry to falconry (including that crossover appendix for people who like to bring their birds on dates). Nothing chokes the life out of a "fast, fun" game like the idea that it requires more books than a five-year undergraduate degree.
as Advanced Squad Leader player, a game where there are detailed rules also for night vision range when there are scattered clouds in a full moon night, I understand what you are saying.

But there is some intermediate step between asking "new rules" about falconry and asking "an answer" to a simple question due to a rule oversight like the famous one about Defend for not engaged figures vs a jab attack still unanswred from when I was a child.

That said I believe that most discussions here are about clarifications of already written rules, not to ask more detailed rules. So they will disappear as soon as the dreamed and promised official FAQ Thread is created.

Last edited by ecz; 10-21-2018 at 03:07 AM.
ecz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 11:41 PM   #54
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Guild rates are way off. Shopping list for any decent munchkin: ...
No big quibbles with your costs.

I am curious what you think is off and how you'd correct it?

To me, it seems the listed prices for things (both enchanted items and wizard time) look suspiciously equal to the overall job pay rate for a wizard, adjusting for cost of living, but that leaves me with a lot of questions about who's paying how many wizards for what work, and thinking the weekly earning rate can't be the same as the price except for long-term employment with no cut but the 1% dues for the guild.

I wonder what the Wizards' Guild employment and cash flow looks like.

Seems like there would probably be at least a 3x standard mark-up on the typical price for goods and services over the costs of those in wizard earnings and other expenses.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 06:55 AM   #55
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Andrew said it perfectly.

Thanks, Andrew.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:12 AM   #56
hcobb

Quote:
Seems like there would probably be at least a 3x standard mark-up on the typical price for goods and services over the costs of those in wizard earnings and other expenses.
The listed rates assume that a whole bunch of wizards are standing around doing nothing while waiting for somebody to walk in off the street. Services need to be charged at the stored ST rate of $5 per point expended, or have the requesting party provide the ST themselves.

Or just price all spells like this:

"It costs 20 ST to cast; you can usually get it done at the Wizard’s Guild for a mere $500." ITL 32

Last edited by hcobb; 10-21-2018 at 09:52 AM.
hcobb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 10:48 AM   #57
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
The listed rates assume that a whole bunch of wizards are standing around doing nothing while waiting for somebody to walk in off the street. Services need to be charged at the stored ST rate of $5 per point expended, or have the requesting party provide the ST themselves.

Or just price all spells like this:

"It costs 20 ST to cast; you can usually get it done at the Wizard’s Guild for a mere $500." ITL 32
Yes, so 5x to 20x the a la carte rate shown on ITL 60 for short-term work.

I suspect the Remove Curse 20x rate may be set higher than other fees in order to inspire paying with the cursed item instead.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 11:12 AM   #58
hcobb

Quote:
Yes, so 5x to 20x the a la carte rate shown on ITL 60 for short-term work.

I suspect the Remove Curse 20x rate may be set higher than other fees in order to inspire paying with the cursed item instead.
While players sell their services to random buyers at the listed rates.