Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 04:57 PM   #1
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Default Metric? Keep or change?

The original TFT releases used metric measurements because, in the late 1970s, we were being told that really, no kidding, the country was going metric.

Didn't happen.

The metric measurements feel vaguely dated to me now (I realize my European readers will be going "huh?" at this).

I am inclined to change meters to yards, and so on. Actually, meters may be the only metric quantity in the set. I notice that I already describe the naughty minnow as "inch-long."

Comments?
Old 02-20-2018, 05:03 PM   #2
Dave Crowell

Default Re: Metric? Keep or change?

How many distances are given in yards/meters as opposed to hexes and megahexes?

If most measurements are given in hexes then I think the question of English or Metric is largely moot.

Otherwise I am used to seeing sci-fi games in metric and fantasy games in English. So I guess I would vote for yards. But it's not a strong vote.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:07 PM   #3
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

On one hand, our long-suffering scientifically inclined or European friends have put up with decades of American measurements in GURPS and deserve metric.

On the other, in fantasy games, metric units take me right out of it. If TFT were a generic fighin' game for modern troops and space warriors as well as people in low-tech drag, I'd say stick with meters. But if everybody in the game uses Renaissance-and-earlier technology, using a modern measurement feels anachronistic.

(And, yes, that means I'd be perfectly happy with measurements in cubits as well.)

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Old 02-20-2018, 05:21 PM   #4
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
Comments?
It's a hex. The difference between meter and yard is a rounding error (you get larger errors measuring distance just from hex alignment).

Last edited by Anthony; 02-20-2018 at 05:41 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:29 PM   #5
ecz

I believe that most (if not all the best) RPG use the metric system, and kilos ... and liters...

plus it is a "change" in the very nature of the old TFT and this is clearly against the philosophy of the project "improve and preserve":
it does not improve the game, it does not preserve the old Melee/TFT tradition of the metric system adopted for about 40 years
Old 02-20-2018, 06:45 PM   #6
ak_aramis

I'd rather see metric for all.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:54 PM   #7
Sindri

As frustrating as it is for GURPS to use yards, it would be considerably more frustrating for a system that was already using meters to switch to yards for no particularly compelling reason. People are totally fine using abstract units like squares and encumbrance units. An actual system that everyone in the US learns in school anyway is not a major stumbling block.

Especially since its use of meters is tied to an interesting bit of historical context.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:46 PM   #8
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindri View Post
An actual system that everyone in the US learns in school anyway is not a major stumbling block.

Especially since its use of meters is tied to an interesting bit of historical context.
Everyone is supposed to learn it, but not everyone does. It's not a major item on the standards.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:11 PM   #9
Shostak

It really doesn't matter to me. Just include a reference chart for converting English to metric--it will be helpful for players needing to go either way.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:17 PM   #10
larsdangly

Do we need to have this discussion in 2018?

Metric!
Closed Thread