Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-26-2014, 03:09 PM   #1
kirbwarrior

Default Arm-Strikers

I've used -25% on Crushing Strikers to make an arm have all the upsides of a Striker instead of getting a new Striker. I've recently found Limb in Martial Arts to cover most of it, but default rules make it so a Striker can't be attacked/doesn't take damage. Does Limb cover that too?

Kromm long ago pointed out a nice way to create a floating shield and used 'Force Extension' from Stretching to make the arm indestructible. But that's the base cost of Crushing Striker. Should it be cheaper?

Non crushing Strikers can also make cool arms. Is there anything inherently wrong with just slapping Limb on them?

Long is +100% on both traits. On Arms, it adds an incredible damage bonus. On Striker, it's just extra range. I've been using a house rule that Long on Extra Arm is a feature if it doesn't add damage (you can reach further, but enemies get a bonus to hitting the arm). I'd bump it up to +20% per if Force Extension in on it. I was thinking the same thing for Striker, but instead subtract 75% from Long (so max is a feature).

Any thoughts? I've been looking into how Striker and Extra Arm (and just arms) interconnect. Thanks ahead of time.

Last edited by kirbwarrior; 01-09-2015 at 07:49 PM. Reason: - should have been +
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 03:55 PM   #2
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Re: Arm-Strikers

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
I've used -25% on Crushing Strikers to make an arm have all the upsides of a Striker instead of getting a new Striker. I've recently found Limb in Martial Arts to cover most of it, but default rules make it so a Striker can't be attacked/doesn't take damage. Does Limb cover that too?
Actually the defualt rules the can be attack and tack damage... like a weapon. and yes Striker (Limb) does cover that too.

What the limitation does remove is the extra repeat parry penalty counter for the striker and non-multistrike Extra Attack availability.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 08:51 PM   #3
Nereidalbel

Default rules do, in fact, say that your Striker can be attacked,crippled, or even severed.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 10:52 PM   #4
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
Actually the defualt rules the can be attack and tack damage... like a weapon. and yes Striker (Limb) does cover that too.

What the limitation does remove is the extra repeat parry penalty counter for the striker and non-multistrike Extra Attack availability.
Wait, you can attack twice with it with extra attack? And parry all day?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Default rules do, in fact, say that your Striker can be attacked,crippled, or even severed.
Where does it say you can? I always thought it was like Innate Attack with Melee, in that it doesn't take any damage.
Old 12-27-2014, 12:56 AM   #5
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Wait, you can attack twice with it with extra attack? And parry all day?
Extra Attack is limited to one level per limb/striker beyond the the first hence why Humans limited two one level, for their second arm. To reuse a limb/striker with Extra Attack you need the multi-strike enhancement.

as long as your not using the DX default but instead using a skill each parry penalty for reuse is tracked for each limb

Parry 1 (Main arm) -0
Parry 2 (Off arm) -0
Parry 3 (Main arm) -4
Parry 4 (Off arm) -4

Quote:
Where does it say you can? I always thought it was like Innate Attack with Melee, in that it doesn't take any damage.
They are physical objects and the Basic advantage say you use them like a weapon especial parrying. While this means they don't take damage when you parry a weapon like being unarmed, however there ARE default rules for Attacking Weapons and Damaging them

Last edited by roguebfl; 12-27-2014 at 01:03 AM.
Old 12-27-2014, 04:12 AM   #6
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior
They're treated as weapons for damage. This means they're usually unharmed by parries, but, Destructive Parry and intentional targeting can damage them. Take note that Basic even has a rules box for crippled Strikers. Permanent crippling of a Limb Striker is a terrible thing.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:32 PM   #7
kirbwarrior

Weird, I always thought Strikers were 'invulnerable' for most purposes. But then how do Strikers like a rhino's horn work? Is there separate DR just for it?
Old 12-27-2014, 08:37 PM   #8
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Weird, I always thought Strikers were 'invulnerable' for most purposes. But then how do Strikers like a rhino's horn work? Is there separate DR just for it?
I assumed that they counted as limbs with regards to DR and HP.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:44 PM   #9
Nereidalbel

Quote:
They have DR: Horn Only. Not sure what the DR of ivory is, though.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:37 PM   #10
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
They have DR: Horn Only. Not sure what the DR of ivory is, though.
First Rino Horn isn't Ivory it's a compressed Hair tuft.

and That the thing about treating them like weapons the have Object DR and HP and unless you trig to parry a very heavy object or are directly attacked you don't have to worry about them being damaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Treat strikers as weapons with weight equal to ST/10 both when parrying and being parried, just like other natural attacks. For most humans, this puts them at 1-2 lbs., which is in the realm of knives . . . which is about right for things like horns and the barb at the end of a tail.

Last edited by roguebfl; 12-27-2014 at 10:47 PM.